Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 12:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/149/140 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress: 86%

I should stay away from threads about sweets, today I bought Thorntons s/f toffee because it was mentioned, in my local health food shop I found an endulge bar and a cavalier bar both of which I've seen mentioned here so I felt I had to buy them. Later my daughter texted me to say she had found the low carb rolo and kitkat and bought me one of each so now I have a stash and I don't even finish induction for another week! I shall hide them away for those emergency situations, luckily I don't crave anything sweet at the moment, induction must be working it's magic.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 12:36
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

just be careful cause the substitute sugars can cause a laxitive effect!!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 13:41
Registered Member

Stats: 305/284/161 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 15%

I think that this kind of stuff goes against what we have all achieved. We have all manged to lose thousands of pounds between us, many of us have achieved this without atkins bars and other processed foodstuffs.

I heard in the news a while back that the sale of sweets had dropped significatly, their profits were down. It made me think of how much I would have spent of sweets and crisps in the months that I had been following Dr Atkins' plan. It was roughly £50 in 4 months. No idea how many people in the UK are doing Atkins or any low carb diet, even a guess at half a million, thats £25million in just four months that people who ate as much as me have not spent on junk treats.

These companies have seen whats happened and they are producing the same junk food they have always produced, with probably more rubbish in them, hoping to win us back into keeping their profits up.

We have come so far without them, we don't need that juunk food anymore. We are being manipulated yet again by these massive companies. For instance did you know that Nestle produce baby milk powder for African countries (probably all third world countries) while the mothers are in hospital its okay, the babies would benefit from breast milk, but that doesn't bother nestle. When the mothers are discharged they might not be able to afford the baby milk powderor they might not have clean water to make the milk up with. added to that, nestle won't put instructions on the tin in the local languages as it would cost them too much. But that doesn't affect us, does it? We are safe here.

So as you might gather, I won't be buying this stuff. Those who do buy it, just be careful they ain't taking you for a ride back to fatsville, we are all worth far more than that.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 14:28
Yo-Yo

I hear what you are u saying and I agree we shouldnt be using these sweets as a substuite, eating it like we did normal chocolate! but sometimes ie my monthly girlie times I do need something sweet! I am quite happy with the odd Thortons bar, to be honest I never really liked Nestle chocolate, prefer cadburys!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 14:59

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear Respu,

Obviously it is up to the individual what they buy and eat and I appreciate your point of view.

I did my first 3 years of low carbing in the Republic of Belarus where I worked (on a local salary) for a total of eight years.

Believe me it is hard staying on plan when the only veggies available in winter are white cabbages, carrots and onions and everyone around you is eating potatoes and black bread until they come out of their ears (and they're not fat). I couldn't buy anything like soya flour or double cream, things which people in this country take for granted.

I for one am delighted that I can buy sugar free goodies when I want them. It gives me choice - something that people in the west take for granted for too often.

You talk about what we have all acheived. Yes, it's great, but it remains just a way of eating for me - there is no deep philosophy involved.

I know about Nestle's antics with milk in Africa. While in Belarus I (unknowingly at the time) ate chickens which had been frozen in the USA in 1964 and were being dumped on Eastern Europe and being called 'food aid'! I seems like there is always someone willing to sh*t on under developed countries. This won't stop me from buying a low carb Kit Kat or make me boycott American goods though. I have my own ways of trying to help those in less well developed countries.

To change tack a little, I see you are expecting an addition to your family soon . I wish you and her all the joy in the world.

Dear Uskhi,
lburnikell isn't kidding! Eating a whole bar of diabetic chocolate in one sitting is enough to keep you on the toilet with painful stomach cramp for hours. Even when you are out of induction it's best to limit your intake of anyhting with sugar alcohols in it. As a rule of thumb never eat more than half a bar of anything in one go.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 15:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/210/180 Male 168
BF:
Progress:
Default Low-carb Rolo's

Tried the low-carb Rolo's from Superdrug today. They were delicious. I'd forgotten how good chocolate tastes! A bit pricey at 1.29 a tube, but worth it for a try. May be best to buy them as a treat every once in a while. Not tried the KitKat version yet, but well done to Nestle for breaking the ice, let's hope other big companies follow suit and bring the price down a bit.

Mash
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 18:37
Registered Member

BF:

RCFletcher

I don't think low carb sweets are a good thing, but as you say we in the west have things that we take for granted. It's easy to lose sight of that. Even though my family are poor by western standards, we still enjoy much that, upon reflection, I do take for granted at times.

May we all continue to have choices.

On the change of tack, our daughter, Asha, was born three weeks prematurely on 28/06. She weighed 5lb 7oz. Thank you.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 02:56

Stats: 206/149/140 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress: 86%

Congratulations on the babies, expected (Iburnikell) and arrived (respu), and thanks for the warnings about S/F sweeties, I've already discovered the laxative effect on a previous diversion from the straight and narrow - it was a thorntons fudge bar that did it and I only bought that because I'd read about it on the forum, I should stop being so suggestable.
I really do prefer to avoid sweets but like to have something allowable ready for an emergency 'need' as living with a housefull of non atkins chocolate eaters it would be easy to eat something of theirs and regret it. However thinking of the effects does concentrate the mind on whether I really really need something sweet or not, usually s/f jelly does the trick.
I do wonder if I can stick at this woe I will loose the desire for sweet stuff eventually, that would be wonderful.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 13:20
Yo-Yo

Uskhi you will eventually loose the desire for sweet stuff!!
goodness when I first started Atkins I was like a woman possessed I wanted a big bar of galaxy!! but I soon calmed down and found that sugar free strawberry jelly helped when I fancied a dessert!!
My only time I really felt the desire for chocolate was my monthly's thats where Thortons helped, so dont worry if u need a fix every now and again, go for it, because if you deprive yourself totally thats when u get fed up and eat the stuff that got you wanting to loose the weight in the first place!!

Lynda x
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 13:25
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by respu

On the change of tack, our daughter, Asha, was born three weeks prematurely on 28/06. She weighed 5lb 7oz. Thank you.

Just wanted to congrat (shortned it cause I cant spell it ) on the birth of your daughter Asha (what a beautiful name!!) she is still a health enough weight to say she was born prematurely, I am sure she will contuniue to gain and be a "chubby little cherub" thank goodness I am pregnant or I would be going all broody!! I hope your partner is in good health and you are both ready for the delights of parent hood!!

Lynda
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 14:03
Registered Member

BF:

thank you

I changed my first pooey nappy today and hardly got any on myself
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 14:20
Yo-Yo

Quote:
thank you

I changed my first pooey nappy today and hardly got any on myself

eeeew yuk!!! I suppose I have all thta to look forward to
I cant wait to see my DH face when I had the baby over and say "here you do it!" poor bairn will probably wear the nappie on its head.

So is baby at home or still in hospital being premature?
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 02:59
Registered Member

BF:

they both came home yesterday, 5th july. Done 4 pooey nappies so far. Now we are home we are using washable ones. I think bambino mio is the brand, they are a little trickier than the disposables, but I am getting used to them
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 03:14
Yo-Yo

Quote:
they both came home yesterday, 5th july. Done 4 pooey nappies so far. Now we are home we are using washable ones. I think bambino mio is the brand, they are a little trickier than the disposables, but I am getting used to them
Brave!!
Steve's Mum keeps trying to get me to use Terri nappies when ours in Born, sorry but no way and never!! lol

My Aunty used to use them and I always remember her downstairs toilet stinking of pooey nappies, thats where she used to soak them in a big white thing, god that was over 20 yrs ago and the toilet still smells the same lol.

I know disposables are more expensive but I want an easy life, and I also think with the special lock away core thing they have going on its a bit better on babys bum.

But each to there its what you and your partner feel happy with that counts.
So has baby put any weight on yet, get used to all my questions, I still have mine to come, I will be on asking for all sorts of advise!!

Anyway I am glad she is home, you will all feel like a little family unit!

Lynda
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 03:17
Yo-Yo

ps I know you will be mad busy and most of your time filled with Asha, but have thought about starting a journal, that way you can track your progress and keep us up to date with Asha's

Lynda