Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-01, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi karen. lately i've seen so many recipes for risotto, especially with spring veggies like asparagus and peas. what could i replace the arborio rice with? i love risotto and i haven't thought about missing it 'til i started reading all these spring food articles.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-01, 22:20

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile I'm not Karen!

But I have an idea about the rice, though I haven't actually tried it....TVP, texturized vegetable protein. You can buy it in health food stores. Bob's Red Mill makes it, I'm sure there are other brands also. I used some to make chicken stuffing, and I noticed the texture was more like rice than bread when it was done, so I think it would work. It's pretty bland - like rice - and picks up the flavour of whatever you cook it with - like rice. It's quite filling, so I wouldn't use too much, probably less than the equivalent amount of rice.

It's about 6 carbs per quarter cup, which I assume is BEFORE you add water to swell it up, which would work out to about 1 serving, I think (1/2 cup prepared).

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-01, 08:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking debbie, I didn't miss it either, till I read your post!!

What about crumbled extra-firm tofu? A coupl'a spins in the old Kitchen Aid should get it pretty rice-like. I once made an ersatz Paella using tofu, and it was delicious - the high protein content made it really filling, so a little went a long way.

Only thing, I guess you wouldn't get the creaminess of real rice...

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-01, 12:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh Gawd Debbie,

I don't have an answer for this one. Grated cauliflower comes to mind as a rice substitute, but it might get kind of mushy. Well, there is no harm in trying...

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-01, 20:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool Cauliflower Risotto

Found a recipe on the ExpertFoods website.. http://www.expertfoods.com/Recipes/rec-risotto.html It uses their Not/starch thickener to give creaminess to the broth. I believe Judi Island Girl carries the Not/starch - check her posts in the Low-Carb Co-op forum for ordering information.

If you can't wait for the order to arrive, you might try xanthan gum. You can buy this wherever gluten-free baking supplies are sold .... I've seen it at Bulk Barn, and Loblaws Superstore (in the health food section). 1/2 tsp should be enough to thicken 1 cup of liquid, hot or cold. Just stir like crazy to get the lumps out!! It gives more of a "gelled" texture rather than creamy, but it's better than soupy "risotto"...

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-01, 07:41

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

WOW!!! thanks gals! you've given me some great ideas. i've got the ammo now to start playing around with some recipes. thanks for the link doreen. you gals are the best! i'll let you know how the experiments go.
love debbie