Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 05:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

DietDoctor accommodates a few methods of real foods low carb. The recipes are listed with the net carb featured, so if you want to Follow dr Westman’s clinic version, you have to be stricter.

DietDoctor has finally revamped its "Two Week Challenge", starting January 2 you will be able to sign up for a 10 week ketogenic or low-carb program with Education, meal plans, and everything included. it will be interesting to see how he approaches the carb level in this new program.

Jennifer, I wouldn’t have said this a few years ago but like the Wearbear wrote you can also go as close to zero carb as you wish and not include any vegetables at all if you don’t like them. there’s a long thread on it in the war zone forum. so much new information is available on websites and podcasts. now zero carb movement is really gaining momentum since early 2019. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471960
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 05:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

My interpretation of the "12 g" rule for foundation veggies is to help fill you up/slow you down and add variety, as well as to prevent people from trying to "game" the 20-g limit and trying to cram in a Hershey's kiss or some other crap during induction. If you don't want those veggies, just skip them.

I would avoid the V8. Pulverized, strained, high-tomato juice will hit your blood sugar quickly and that's what we want to avoid. I keep a mini can on hand for if I get hit with a hypoglycemic attack, let's put it that way. I wouldn't be drinking it to try to hit a questionable number target.

If I was doing induction this time of year, my veggie list would look a lot like Doreen's. Count me in as another seasonal eater, and I wouldn't be getting a lot of raw veggies. I'm all about soup, stew, chili, and curry this time of year. A couple of favorite products that weren't mentioned specifically: I like buying loose mushrooms, because I can just buy a few. I'd also keep on hand some cole slaw mix - it's great for a quick salad or for sauteeing. Cabbage and bacon is awesome, and there are tons of variations on crack slaw. Other fave products are the various frozen veggie mixes: California style, Thai mix, Asian mix, Italian mix. They're great as a stir fry, curry, or even just plain with butter/salt/pepper.

PS - your profile is sent stating that you're male. You can change that at the "User CP" link above on the left of the green tool bar, then "Edit Profile" on the left hand side. Unless you're a dude named Jessica, not judgin'.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 05:53

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Fibrous vegetables and whole grains are the mainstay of diet advice for those with constipation.

Alternatively, if you have diarrhea - stay away from both

For low-carbers - diet advice for fibrous veggies is the same - to combat constipation. (They are also lower carb)

If you are not constipated, and don't like fibrous vegetables, don't force yourself to eat them
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 06:09

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I like buying loose mushrooms, because I can just buy a few. I'd also keep on hand some cole slaw mix - it's great for a quick salad or for sauteeing. Cabbage and bacon is awesome, and there are tons of variations on crack slaw. Other fave products are the various frozen veggie mixes: California style, Thai mix, Asian mix, Italian mix. They're great as a stir fry, curry, or even just plain with butter/salt/pepper.

These are great suggestions. I am off to the store today and will look for some of these frozen items. Love the suggestions for slaw and mushrooms.

I am not a cook, so I will not be trying most of the keto recipies in Diet Doctor. For one, I don't stock the ingredients, and find the lectin counts too high is some of the recipes. Good way to spend the day in the bathroom.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Dec-26-19 at 15:12. Reason: Fixing quote tag
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 08:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Not to derail anyone, but if you don't like vegetables, do you have to eat them?

I can't quote him exactly, but Dr. B made a comment in one of his books that he didn't see anything wrong with avoiding vegetables & the only reason he recommended a small amount was "just in case."

What always bugs me about the standard dietary advice to diabetics (or anyone) is to eat lots of fruit & vegetables. Why is fruit always at the front of that coupling & why the push to eat fruit? It's mostly sugar, especially in it's modern incarnations.

While I'll never eat the amount of veggies the ADA recommends, I do eat more than I used to. As long as I keep under 20g carbs (from all sources) it helps me keep my protein down, which is important for diabetics. I envy those of you who can eat all the meat you want!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-26-19, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/229/179 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
PS - your profile is sent stating that you're male. You can change that at the "User CP" link above on the left of the green tool bar, then "Edit Profile" on the left hand side. Unless you're a dude named Jessica, not judgin'.

Got that corrected...thanks!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 17:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Check out the recipe forum for inspiration.

I second the “crack slaw” already mentioned.

Some other favorites:
Mashed cauliflower
Cauli fried “rice”
Zucchini “noodles” with a cheese sauce
Broccoli and cheese never gets old for me
Roasted broccoli and garlic/balsamic/ fresh parm and crushed red pepper
Use a portobello scooped out and filled with marinara/mozzarella/ pizza toppings
I like keeping a tray of roasted veggies on hand- Brussels, bells, onion, broccoli..... whatever I have around. I toss with olive oil, salt, and garlic and eat throughout week. Roast radishes taste a LOT like home fries with garlic and onion salt.
Pumpkin mixed with Splenda, cinnamon, a touch vanilla and cream cheese. Cook in microwave and stir. Makes a pumpkin cheesecake mousse.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 20:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I didn't see anyone mention Brussels sprouts. Six sprouts = 5 g net carbs. Celery sticks and cucumber slices are also good for bumping up the veg carb count for the day. So is a dill pickle or black olives. Just check the net carbs per serving and eat them as finger food. Once you're out of induction, V8 is great (of course if it works for you). It's 1 g net carbs per ounce, so a 6-8 ounce glass is a good way to get your veg carbs in range.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 13:56
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

This thread just made me hungry... Who knew you could get cravings for Cauliflower? I myself make at least one veggie casserole a week. That way on my lazy days I can get my veggies and my grown kids lovem. Throw in some slow cooker chicken, cheddar cheese, Cauliflower and Broccoli with mushrooms and ya have a meal.