Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow re: psyllium

Well...I really don't know much about your last question...but I would love to know the answer..like I said..I can't even deal with the regular "psyllium powder". I've gotten some reply's that people like it..and it's thickness..but it grosses me out big time..so I am curious to see your responses.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by nawchem
I have a question about the metamucil. It has 5g carbs, 2 dietary fiber and 2 soluble fiber. How many do I count. Also does anyone know what soluble fiber is?

Fiber Facts: Soluble Fiber & Heart Disease
What is fiber?
Fiber is a substance found only in plants, such as fruits, vegetables, and grains. The part of the plant fiber that you eat is called dietary fiber and is an important part of a healthy diet. Dietary fiber is made up of two main types--insoluble and soluble.

What is the difference between insoluble and soluble fiber?

Soluble fiber forms a gel when mixed with liquid, while insoluble fiber does not. Insoluble fiber passes through your digestive tract largely intact. Both types of fiber are important in the diet and provide benefits to the digestive system by helping to maintain regularity. Soluble fiber has some additional benefits to heart health.

What are some good sources of soluble fiber?

Soluble fiber is found in oats, peas, beans, certain fruits, and psyllium (pronounced sil'e-um). Psyllium is a grain that is found in some cereal products, in certain dietary supplements, and in certain bulk fiber laxatives. Read labels carefully to check for the addition of psyllium.

What are the benefits of soluble fiber?

In additional to the digestive system benefits mentioned above, soluble fiber has been scientifically proven to reduce blood cholesterol levels, which may help reduce your risk of heart disease. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration recently authorized food companies to use a health claim for soluble fiber from both psyllium and oats. For example, the new claim for psyllium states, "Soluble fiber from foods with psyllium husk, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease."

And direct from Protein Power, your first question:

Quote:
Fiber isn’t absorbed and should not be counted as a carbohydrate for the purpose of weight loss. This includes both "soluble fiber" and "insoluble fiber". Whether or not fiber is soluble in water does not alter the body's inability to use it as a carbohydrate.

Nat
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

thanks for the info, that was a great answer!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 09:36

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

I seem to remember the good Dr. Atakinds advising (in his book or his website?) that you can feel perfectly free to use Metamusil - so long as you use the sugarless kind. I think the net carbs to you was just 1 - you can subtract all of the fiber from your count.

I basing this on memory though, you'll have to look it up to find out exactly what he says.