Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 18:10

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%
Question vitamins - can anyone help?

I've recently started Atkins induction, and I'm wondering how many of these vitamin supplements I ought to be taking each day.

I have some "GNC timed release Mega Men" - http://www.gnc.co.uk/library/Produc...oduct_id=068821 for more info on exactly what's in this - plus I also have separate 200µg Chromium Picolinate tablets. Atkins book says expect to take four a day, but that depends on being able to match the quantities on the label to the breakdown of his #3 formula, which, to be honest, is slightly over my head.

Anyone able to advise? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 18:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

My recommendation is to avoid GNC, if you want to save money. They are not bad, but overly priced, sometimes upto 50%.

Most daily multivitamins will satisfy the required amounts, especially the strong/forte versions. And it's easy to add extra for any missing or weaker parts as individual supplements.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 19:53

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Take your point - and, of course, links to other suppliers, or phone numbers of other suppliers would be appreciated. Don't worry about where in the world it's based, I'll just ask if they have any stockists or distributors near me, and if they don't, I'll just go mail order.

That said, I've got the goodies from GNC in stock now, and I'd obviously like them to last as long as possible for much the same reason, but I don't want to risk not getting my proper nutrients in. Should I take four of them a day, or is that overdoing it a bit? Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 20:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

squidgy, the number you should take will depend on the dosage information listed, and if you want to match the recommended amount by Atkins.

My favourite brand is Jamieson, their Potency level 3 (now they have 4 which I might try

http://www2.jamiesonvitamins.com/Pr...=1&GroupType=11

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 20:30

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Wink GNC

I used to take GNC Mega Men vitamins and the Center for Science in the Public Interest rated them not so good. The best vitamins were the ones in big drug stores like Rite Aid. I switched to Centrum which was highly rated and now an equivalent Sentry at Wall Mart.