Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 11:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default any benefits to using CLA/phosphatidylserine

to reduce cortisol levels which may be a component in PCOS? I have done some research on each supplement and they are touted as being potent anti-cortisols, especially in combination. However, I don't know enough in a medical sense to know if this would be helpful to me to deal with the excess cortisol which may be slowing down fat loss due to the PCOS. This question is mostly directed at Doreen who seems to have a vast store of medical knowledge, but anyone who reads this and could help me i would be very grateful to you.

Hope i hear from someone soon.

Thanks

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 12:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Deb, my understanding of coritsol is that you can combat it most efficiently with insulin (not great if you're following a strict LC WOL) and anti oxidants.

Cortisol does slow fat burning and it destroys muscle, getting it under control is the first course of action of weight lifters. I take my Vit C & E right after working out (when cortisol is running rampant through my body after a stressful workout), along with some flaxoil and green tea. The anti oxidant properties of the polyphenols (EGCG) in green tea have been reported to be 25-100 times more potent than those of vits C & E. I also have some slow burning carbs at this time, but that has more to do with a controlled release of insulin.

You can read more about anti oxidants here at Supplement Watch . com and more specifically about both EGCG and CLA as well.

Phosphatidylserine was a new one to me, but after reading up on it, I want to thank YOU. Looks like this is a winner.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 09:09

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Dr. Eades in PP explains that insulin spikes and insulin resistance release cortisol and adrenaline among other things (stress response). In other words, high insulin causes your body to increase cortisol to keep the anabolic/catabolic balance.

Supplements to reduce cortisol:

VitalPet, 5-Androstenediol are used to inhibit cortisol. Vitamin C will bring cortisol into balance.

http://www.geocities.com/gittleman1/do00005.htm

Another supplement that may help with the muscle-building process is the brain nutrient phosphatidylserine. Several studies show that this nutrient, which is primarily known to accelerate brain function, may reduce cortisol levels as well (Monteleone et al. 1990, 1992). Cortisol is one of the primary catabolic hormones in the body and is typically secreted in response to physical trauma or prolonged stress. In one study, when 800 mg of phosphatidylserine was administered for 10 days, it significantly reduced cortisol levels in response to physical exercise. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) protects muscles against catabolic wasting while helping to reduce excess body fat (Miller et al. 1994; Sisk et al. 2001).

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-078.shtml

Long-term use of phosphatidylserine is safe and has not been found to produce adverse effects. Phosphatidylserine is not contra-indicated with any known medication. Phosphatidylserine is derived from soybean lecithin. Those allergic to Soya products should use with caution.

http://www.greencanyon.com/products/r100015.htm

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
CLA occurs naturally in whole milk and red meat. A collective term used to designate a mixture of positional and geometric isomers of the essential fat linoleic acid. It is actually a fat, derived from linoleic acid (an essential fatty acid). Studies have shown that CLA can increase lean body mass and decrease fat, inhibit the growth of tumors and enhance immune function. CLA is found naturally in beef, cheese and whole milk.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/sports22/nutrition.html

CLA is the best known anti-cancer substance. It naturally occurs in food and it is safe.

Excess cortisol in your body though is quite harmful.