Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-18-19, 08:09

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I find the brand of Stevia ranges from yuck to good. Me? I prefer Kal brand, the one with no added ingredients on the label. It doesn't have the weird aftertaste that so many others have. It might not be the only good tasting brand out there, but it's the one I found that works for me. - note: I have no affiliation with them, I'm just a customer who likes it.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-19-19, 09:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I also love liquid cyclamates. I used to go to Canada every summer and would stock up with with a bunch I would smuggle across the border every year. But I have not been to Canada in four years now and my stash finally ran out. I need to look at importing some. 😉 I don’t use sweeteners much, and never in drinks, though I stick with Swerve, monk fruit, and stevia these days. But cyclamates definitely taste the best!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-20-19, 08:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

When I first cut out sugar & wheat I used Splenda a lot - & made a lot of lc breads with almond & coconut flour & flax meal. I stopped using Splenda when I realized it has sugar in it. I use liquid sucralose & Pyure (erythritol & stevia) & whatever is in the almost-daily diet soda. I bought some xylitol to try - hope I like it as it's a bit cheaper than Pyure.

For me, artificial sweeteners are self-limiting because if I have too much I get a nasty headache - 3 servings seems to be my limit. And I stopped making most lc breads because I lost my craving for bread.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-20-19, 11:39

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I stopped using Splenda when I realized it has sugar in it. I use liquid sucralose & Pyure (erythritol & stevia)...
Yes, Splenda/sucralose is made from sugar, but I don't have an inherent problem with sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc., any more than any other carb. I have some chocolate and some grain-free granola bars that have combinations of those three as sweeteners and the net carbs are 4g-8g (depending on the item) per serving. Occasionally, I have room in my day for one of those treats.

Splenda has about .5 carbs from the fillers they use to make it from the straight sucralose, and I make sure to count them. Sucralose doesn't have carbs, but I've found it a bit weird to use. I sweeten a drink with it and then 2 hours later lick my lips and they're sweet. I've ended up going back to Splenda and being careful to moderate.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-20-19, 12:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Yes, Splenda/sucralose is made from sugar, but I don't have an inherent problem with sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc., any more than any other carb. I have some chocolate and some grain-free granola bars that have combinations of those three as sweeteners and the net carbs are 4g-8g (depending on the item) per serving. Occasionally, I have room in my day for one of those treats.

Splenda has about .5 carbs from the fillers they use to make it from the straight sucralose, and I make sure to count them. Sucralose doesn't have carbs, but I've found it a bit weird to use. I sweeten a drink with it and then 2 hours later lick my lips and they're sweet. I've ended up going back to Splenda and being careful to moderate.

Funny you should mention the sweet taste staying on your lips. The primary way I used artificial sweeteners back when I first went on LC was to put a drop of liquid sweetener on my lips, and lick my lips (it was possible to get liquid saccharin back then). If I started to crave something sweet again, I'd just lick my lips again to satisfy the craving. The sweet taste lasted several hours, so if I managed to lick off all the sweet taste and ended up craving more sweets, I'd just put another drop on my lips.

That may not work for everyone (and I don't know if they even make saccharin any more), just that it was exactly what I needed to get me through the worst sweet cravings at the time.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-22-19, 08:16

BF:

The first thing I did when going low-carb was to cut out sweet soft drinks. If I eat at a restaurant it's non-sweetened ice tea because I hate chlorine tasting water. At home, I have my own deep well and drink water all day.

There are three things I drink that need sweetener for me, coffee, tea and hot cocoa. A good non-nasty aftertaste Stevia is fine for me. I tried Xylitol but it gave me intestinal discomfort.

If I drink coffee at a restaurant or pick some up at a convenience store, I'll use Splenda unless they have my first choice, Stevia.

I've been on Keto since the days when it was called Atkins Induction, and after so many years of not drinking soft drinks (diet or otherwise) I no longer crave those them, and I see no need for anyone to drink them. Ever since the first human evolved, we as a species have quenched our thirst predominantly with water. I see no reason to buck that trend.

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-22-19, 14:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
The first thing I did when going low-carb was to cut out sweet soft drinks. If I eat at a restaurant it's non-sweetened ice tea because I hate chlorine tasting water. At home, I have my own deep well and drink water all day.

There are three things I drink that need sweetener for me, coffee, tea and hot cocoa. A good non-nasty aftertaste Stevia is fine for me. I tried Xylitol but it gave me intestinal discomfort.

If I drink coffee at a restaurant or pick some up at a convenience store, I'll use Splenda unless they have my first choice, Stevia.

I've been on Keto since the days when it was called Atkins Induction, and after so many years of not drinking soft drinks (diet or otherwise) I no longer crave those them, and I see no need for anyone to drink them. Ever since the first human evolved, we as a species have quenched our thirst predominantly with water. I see no reason to buck that trend.

Bob
There seem to be lots of people who will not drink anything that does not come sweetened from a bottle of fountain dispenser.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-23-19, 10:49

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

At home I drink some plain black coffee every morning and then water throughout the day. I've recently discovered a couple non-tea teas that I like to make iced tea out of and like unsweetened. I don't drink much regular tea these days, because for some reason I really only like it sweetened. Just a bit, but I don't like it without, so I've just been skipping it.

Recently, I had a chance to see a friend I hadn't seen in a while and we met up at one of those old-fashioned soda fountain places where you can get a burger or sandwich plus milkshakes, sundaes etc. We were out of town and she'd promised already to take her daughter as a treat, so I agree to meet there. I'd already eaten lunch. As my "treat" I ordered a diet coke. It was a hot day and I enjoyed it. It was maybe the second one I've had since the beginning of the year.

I think you all have experience this same thing where instead of drinking tons of soda or eating cookies all the time you really stop and enjoy on the rare times you do indulge. I think this is really the way these things were meant to be and it's nice to get back to that.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 13:55

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Even in paleolithic times, our ancestors had access to sweet treats (fruits), albeit seasonally.
After adopting keto a few months ago, I experimented with going completely a/s free - including chewing gum.
It was a good experiment and helped me cut back, but for now I will continue to eat / drink products with a/s occasionally.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-31-19, 18:23

BF:

The paleo fruits had a fraction of the sugar modern ones have. We have selectively bred them for generations mating the sweetest with the sweetest to the point where modern fruit is basically a bag of sugar.

Plus in paleo times, the fruit ripened right before the starvation season (winter). This allowed the cave man and woman to get fat before the starvation arrived and perhaps put enough fat on the body to survive until spring.

Same in the tropics, but here the starvation season is the dry season.

Bob