Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 22:08

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Type II Diabetes and Smoking

I am posting this thread as much to help myself as to help others. Tuesday was my scheduled "quit day" and I let that little devil on my shoulder talk me into buying a pack on Tuesday "just to have around if cravings get to be too much". It was STUPID! Now it's Thursday evening, the cigarettes have been gone since about 3pm and that damn little devil is back!

Well, reading articles about low carbing helped me break the carb addiction so I've been reading articles about how quitting smoking benefits my BG and helps to cure my insulin resistance. First I found this one that is pretty cool. It's a timetable of how the benefits of quitting smoking steadily grow over time:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Another I found is how quitting smoking directly effects BG levels:

http://www.endocrinologyadvisor.com...article/402252/

I found lots of others, but at this point those are the two that stick out to me.

TAKE THAT YOU DAMN DEVIL!

That's it. I am now a non-smoker. I WILL NOT CHEAT!

Last edited by TucsonBill : Thu, Sep-07-17 at 22:22.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 23:30

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

L-glutamine also helped with smoking cravings, I found. Or if it wasn't the actual smoking cravings, it still helped the overall feeling and environment of quitting. Makes sense though, if you really think about it. In any case, you CAN do it! Good luck!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 02:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

When I quit smoking one thing that helped me was knowing that the cravings only last a few minutes and then fade away, so each time you get a craving all you need worry about is riding it out for about 3 minutes and it will be gone. Of course they come back but their frequency decreases until they are not a problem any more. In other words, don't give them any energy and they will fade. The big picture is that you are doing all this for your health and that's what's most important.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 06:10

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Proceed in a gentle manner Bill. I've seen many "see the light" and try to solve ALL of their "issues" at the same time - like the old time plate spinners.

I do think smoking cessation is high on the list of habits you can change that has a significant out come. Rarely is it that I find a smoker who wishes they could smoke again, there are a few but they are exceptions and usually exceptionally fidgety

I wish you well, do what you think is the right thing to do today, if that is ceasing smoking, so be it! I have not heard anything about affecting BG but I'm not very well read in that area so experiment

#5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I know a few people that have quit using the electronic cigarretes, my mom quit with the gum. My dad loved the desert, went way out there someplace and camped with no cigarretes and that was that.

I admire your drive to be healthy and wish you the best!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 08:35

BF:

So far so good.

I have made several attempts to quit before and always fell into some sort of "trap" that got me back to smoking again. I know what they are now and I am determined to avoid them. This will be day three.

My wife has Fri-Sun off work this week and her being around has been a great help.

Last time after about 2 weeks of no smoking, I made the stupid decision that I could "occasionally smoke" and be OK. I won't fall for that lie again.

I also tried some of the other stuff mentioned including the gum, snuff etc - which did not really help me cure the addiction. My doctor gave me a script for Zyban which is probably helping some with the cravings, (hard to tell really).

At any rate, this time I am committed to total abstinence and never to listen to that little devil again. Putting it here in writing helps too!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 06:26

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I tried to quit a couple times, but couldn't stick to it since DH was still smoking and there was always a pack laying around and I would just pick one up. In 1993 he had a heart attack and the doctor told him to quit. He said he would, but I didn't believe him. Before he came home, I made sure there were no cigarettes left in the house, and he wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks, so he was going to have to go without them for at least that long. As it turned out, we both quit cold turkey then and have never gone back. I think neither one of us wanted to be the one who caved. LOL It was hard when there were certain situation when I usually had a cigarette, and for a long time if I saw someone smoking I wanted to bum one, but didn't. Occasionally I will see someone smoking and think to myself, "I'd like to have one" but the thought instantly leaves my mind. I really don't think I would ever actually do it.

I am amazed at how many young people are smoking.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 07:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
I tried to quit a couple times, but couldn't stick to it since DH was still smoking...

Oh gosh, I know I could not quit if my wife smoked, and I thank God she doesn't. Sorry to hear that it took a heart attack for you two to get together on it, (that is clearly the direction I've been headed). My wife's always bugged me about quitting. 3pm will mark 4 days, I'm still on the wagon
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 10:56

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

My husband and I quit together after being social smokers for a long time, and then suddenly blossoming into the real thing; we would go back to the states each year and have no problem not smoking for 6 weeks, and then start again once we got back overseas where it was pretty well accepted. I quit about three months ago cold turkey, and DH has been nice enoug hto jump on board. Can't have the temptation here. All the best! Its important!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 23:27

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Good luck on your newfound confidence and will to not smoke anymore

I smoked for 31 years and my own giving up last year was forced on me (hospitalisation) I found nicotine patches helped me immensely
I haven't had a single one lol that's my mantra over it all
plus I've saved thousands and thousands of dollars over the past year.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 14:08

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Wow, this is an important message!! Thanks to you all.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-17, 09:55

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Congrats on you decision to quit and your continued determination. I'm the repeat offender from the thread just below here. I've been on and off smokes for over 2 years. Was on Champix twice but migrated back. Haven't given up trying and started on the patch again today. Good luck on your journey. I know all to well how much of a challenge it is.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 06:30

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Oh gosh, I know I could not quit if my wife smoked, and I thank God she doesn't. Sorry to hear that it took a heart attack for you two to get together on it, (that is clearly the direction I've been headed). My wife's always bugged me about quitting. 3pm will mark 4 days, I'm still on the wagon

DH asked the cardiologist if smoking caused his heart attack and the doctor said No, but it causes the blood vessels to constrict so it's better not to do it. The doctor had actually been a long-time smoker himself. I think after being in the hospital and not being able to smoke for 13 days he figured he might as well quit. It has saved us a lot of money, as the price really started to climb right after that. I don't know how anyone can afford to smoke today.

You just have to make up your mind not to pick up the next cigarette. It gets easier as time goes on.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 09:47

BF:

YAY! Today is my 1 month anniversary of being a non-smoker!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 21:02

BF:

OOPS! Meant to post this yesterday and forgot! 2 MONTHS NO SMOKING!