Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 14:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/172/120
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question Eat Right 4 Your Type???????

Hello All..................

Has anyone heard of or tried this "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo?

I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago, and he recommended this as a alternative to Atkins. I have chosen to do Atkins, however curiosity has the better of me and I was just wondering if anyone had tried this other way of eating.

Thanks,

Annette
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 08:52
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I have all the books and tried to follow the plan that matches my blood type. As it turns out....my blood type states no pork, beef, wild game..only chicken or turkey once a week. Don't get me wrong..I truely do believe that what we put in our bodies effects the way they run. After having difficulties with this plan I actually called(phoned) the person that runs the sight...as it turns out he thought I was sensitive to grains...and spoke on a much deeper level/version of that woe. I was to eat protein and green leafy veggies. After speaking to him I started to pay more attention to reading their board...I noticed that although plans called for less meat/proteins and more carbs.....MOST folks found they were sensitive to grains and cut them out....they also cut out starches like potatoes. Some still didn't touch certain spices or fruit...according to their list.

You need to find what works for you...you need to find with what you can live with.

I remember Thomas telling me I could go ahead and have eggs everyday if I wanted...even though the book says NO more than 2 a week. He also told me to go ahead and have chicken or turkey or fish everyday...even though the book says "no".
I think the books are educating when it comes to so many things....but I just can't live that way.
I try not to eat processed foods, sugar, any type of chemical, starches....I think these are the things that mess me up the most...

does any of this help?......Cin
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Cin.

Alot of the things on my list are things I just don't "want" to give up. Cutting out all the processed meats, flour, sugars, etc. is hard enough without having to take out simple things like cinnamon, and honeydew. I'm pretty content so far with how Atkins works, I'm still missing chocolate, but I'm handling it. My doctor says that he lives by "Eat 4 your blood type" and says he is healthier than he has ever been, I guess if it works for you than do it, I think for me I will stick with Atkins.

Thanks for all the information.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:48
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I believe no one plan is good for everyone.

I forgot to mention...according to the book...myself and LOTS of others were suppose to be following a veggie diet...nothing but veggies and bread...and fruits. It amazed me how many couldn't do it becasue of how aweful they felt. They still followed the plan...but most ended up taking out all the breads and potatoes(starches).....and upped their quantity of protein(meats and eggs)....anything sound familar? Also, the atkins plan was often brought up in posts and chats.
I agree with the book on alot of areas...somethings that I eat do have problems digesting more than other foods...but if I can't live by it day to day....theres no sence screwing up my matabolisim by doing the yo yo thing with it.

cin
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:46
Registered Member

BF:

Cin, like you said if you can't live with it day to day then there is no sense in doing it and messing your self up. I like how I'm feeling while doing Atkins, It's been a long time since I felt this good I'm not tired anymore, I think I'll stick to this.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:16

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi,
I did this diet for a year I am a O neg so the diet was close to Adkins but it some how messed up my Metabolisum I gained 15 pounds and didn't feel good I kept doing it because I thought I would click in soon but finally had to quit it has taken me 2 years to get back to where I was when I started ER4YT. I give Dr. Schwarzbeins Principle the credit but I couldn't lose weight on it so I now am on track and on Atkins. But everyone is different YMMV
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 07:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Pat

Wow, 2 years to get back to norm, I'm also an O type and I don't think I'll take the chance of experiencing what you have, I believe I'll just stick to Atkins, so far it's working pretty well.

Thanks for the info.

Annette
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

I have heard that this diet works well if you have type O blood. I think that is because it is nearly the same as Adkins for that blood type. I am a type A. I read what you are supposed to eat for that type and said "no thanks".
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 18:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi all. I'm curious about the science behind this. Is there any? I've taken enough genetics courses to understand antigen-based blood typing, but I don't understand how the author can relate this to metabolism. Unless the genes are literally linked very closely on the chromosome, how could blood type possibly be any more related to metabolism than blond hair, brown eyes or freckles?

I'm a cheapo and I refuse to buy a book unless I'm first convinced that the theory has some science behind it. If anyone can breifly enlighten me, I'm all ears. (eyes?)

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Nov-07-03 at 18:57.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 09:25

Plan: I don't
Stats: 250/226/225 Male Six Feet Five Inches
BF:
Progress:
Default The Original Question

Greetings,
I'm not a "low carb" diet guy, I'm just into science, and I hit this question at a search engine. Bottom line? There's no science to support any of the claims made by D'Amato about diet & blood type. Not one peer reviewed paper. Also, his claims about the dates and origins of "blood types" is spurious, i.e., where does any credible research show that type O is the "original blood type" or that type AB is the newest? Nowhere! It's total frogwash. Blood typing has only been around since 1901. Then you've got the wildly spurious claim that since type A's were farmers and sedentary, (every try living like a 900-1000 C.E. farmer? Sedentary ain't the word, bwana), they should excercise less than O's, who need caveman levels of excertion. Piffle, stuff and nonsense. Any diet that tells you to excercise LESS should set of BIG alarm bells. I hate to flagellate a deceased equine, but there really is no substitute for eating right and excercise. I'm 226 pounds, 6'5", and I pump iron 2hrs a day, 4 days a week. I eat sensible, and I'm in better shape at 43 than I've ever been in my life, so I know what I'm saying works. That being said, consult a physician before making any changes to your diet or excercise habits, just to be safe! Don't play "guinea pig" with yerself! Be well and healthy!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 18:58

Plan: Low Carb/ Maybe Zero Carb
Stats: 220/175/175 Male 6'3''
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just wondering if there's anyone who thrives on red meat and low carbing but is a type A ..............
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 14:01

Plan: eat right for your type
Stats: 135/130/130 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default Type A and live for red meat

I am a type A and love, love, love red meat but i have been feeling so lousy the last couple of years my doctor recommended that i try the diet. I have for a month and feel amazing. I have so much energy and have started to loose inches. I have completely avoided red meat and have found that maybe i don't enjoy food the same but i feel so great it is worth it!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 16:20
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnzess
I am a type A and love, love, love red meat but i have been feeling so lousy the last couple of years my doctor recommended that i try the diet. I have for a month and feel amazing. I have so much energy and have started to loose inches. I have completely avoided red meat and have found that maybe i don't enjoy food the same but i feel so great it is worth it!
Hi Prnzess, and welcome.

Does that mean you are not low carbing? Or just following a vegetarian low carb plan? D'Adamo's plan is not a low carb plan per se, so I would suggest you read some books on low carbing.
You might even find a way to enjoy red meat, perhaps in smaller amounts, and still enjoy it.

All the best to you.

Rosebud (Type A, and feeling far better and healthier on LC than on a previous vegetarian regime)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 11:40

Plan: eat right for your type
Stats: 135/130/130 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:

I am not on this diet merely for health reasons, not to loose weight(that seems to be a perk). I have tried many diets, for health reasons, and have found this eat right 4 your type to be great for me. I was just wanting to reply to the person who was also a type A and say that it is possible to love red meat and give it up because the benefits are worth it. I believe that this kind of diet isn't for everyone, you have to have some sort of health issue (not just overweight). I don't believe in one diet for everyone. I think we have to do what works good for us as individuals.

Thanks for your input.