Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:46

Plan: atkins/??
Stats: 210/192/185 Male 71 Inches
BF:23/16/10
Progress: 72%
Default So far...so good. Time to change???

I have been doing the Atkins thing since the beginning of the year with satisfactory success. My original goal was to loose weight…and I have dropped about 20 pounds. But to be honest, I don’t really want to just get smaller…I want to stay “bulky” but start getting definition. Being 5’11” and 160 pounds just seems too small.

My goal has evolved to focusing in on body fat. I have heard that for the beginnings of definition, you should be around 10% BF. Currently, I am around 16% according to mybodycomp.com (I know a rough estimate).

My main question is should I switch from just the straight Atkins to CKD, or should I strive to loose another 10 pounds or so first.

Currently I lift 3 days a week and play racquete ball (about 1.5 hours) twice a week. And since it is starting to warm up, I am going to start jogging again (about 12 miles a week). I know that the CKD will force me to be more dedicated to the timings and intensity of the workouts, but from the discussions, it seems like the better path to follow to drop the body fat and build the muscle.

I am also curious about how long takes on average to drop the body fat on CKD, without using the fat burner supplements, just straight diet and exercise. I am very leery of the supplements!

I really appreciate any advice that is given!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 22:49

Unhappy

WOW!! I am a bit disappointed here. Did I post wrong somehow? A lot of experience surfing around here...unfortunately not too much help.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 07:07
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Hi PhishMan ,

First off, CKD is really not optimal for gaining muscle mass, it can be done, it's just not the best way and usually slower than other ways. It works best for "cutting" , that is losing fat. CKD, IMO, is the best way to lose fat and preserve the lean body mass you already have. I think you, at 16% BF and working out like you are, would benefit greatly from CKD. Or if you want to start gaining lean body mass now, you may want to search on "TKD", as it is even more conducive to gaining mass quicker. Basically , it is taking in more carbs around your weight lifting sessions. Sorry, answers were slow coming, this forum has been kinda' slow lately, PM me if you want and I can give you some more sites with helpful info.

#4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: My Own LC plan
Stats: 230/153/155 Male 68
BF:32%/11-12%/9-10%
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperoo
Or if you want to start gaining lean body mass now, you may want to search on "TKD", as it is even more conducive to gaining mass quicker.

Hey Chip,
I think this is true from my own experience. What led you to that conclusion? I would love to find 3rd party backup for TKD muscle gain, but I haven’t seen any.

Thanks

JWJ
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 07:36
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Here is a pretty good article on the difference between CKD and TKD...http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=88

Seems I was pretty much wrong about TKD being much better for muscle gain, I was confusing it with some stuff I read at Lyle McDonalds site on "bulking with a CKD". Here is a quote from him:

"I think that setting total daily carbs at 100 g/day on lowcarb days and adding 25-50 grams of additional carbs around training (that's a TOTAL of 125-150 grams of carbs/day, hardly high) is a better approach than just about any form of CKD for mass gains."

jwjpilot,
I guess that is why you have problem finding material to back you up on that, but everyone is different and if it worked for you than stick with it. Of course, I did say that you can gain mass of CKD or TKD, but it is just usually slower and not the optimum way to do it for most.

#6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 22:59

Thanks for the info. It sounds like CKD would more fit my goals. Worth a try!

It finally is getting warmer here and the clock gets set back this weekend!!! Which means more light for running. I finally got out this weekend and ran a few miles. I was very surprised that after losing some weight, that the jogging wasn't real easy! I guess I should push back the plans on the marathon!