Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 07:31

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Help figuring out nutritional info

Hi. Just made some Pleasantville Cookie Co low carb Pancakes from their almond meal pancake mix. They're delicious but I need a litle help figuring out the measurement for a serving. The serving size is 4.5 oz, and the recipe for making the pancakes uses 1 cup of mix. There are 10 servings in an 8 oz bag.
I want to be able to put this into FitDay.
Thanks to anyone who replies.
Elaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 09:26
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

This sounds an awful lot like those horrible word problems that used to plague me.

Well, I think there are 8 oz in a cup so it look like 4.5 oz is a little over half a cup (.56 of a cup actually). If you are using the 4.5 oz, then put .56 cup in fitday. Is that what you wanted?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

There are 8 *liquid* ounces in a cup. Dry ingredients are less dense than water, so a cup of any kind mix won't weigh 8 ounces. You just kind of have to figure out how much of the 8-oz bag you used, and work out the math from there. It's probably not going to be absolutely exact, but it's good enough for government work .

However, something else is not right here, because I don't see how there can be 10 servings of 4.5 ounces each in an 8-ounce bag. I think that 4.5 oz has to refer to the prepared pancakes, which is very non-helpful. Since you know there are 10 servings in the bag, take the serving info and multiply by 10, then divide by 8 to find out the nutrition per ounce. Look at how much of the bag was contained in a cup to find out how many ounces it was, and then use that to get the total counts.

Example: Let's say the bag lists a 4.5 oz serving as having 4g carbs. There are 10 servings in the bag, so 10 x 4 = 40g in the whole bag. The bag contains 8 oz, so each oz has 5g carbs. If a cup is half the bag, well, that's five servings to a cup. If your recipe makes 10 pancakes, then each of them will have 0.4 oz of mix, and will thus have 2g carbs (5g x 0.4) from the mix.

Can you tell I used to like those word problems?