Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 04:41
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 146/00/00 Female 5'3 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default reintroducing... bloat and GI problems!

i've started reintroducing higher carb/starchy veggies along with low GI fruits and i'm left feeling very gasy and bloated. i've been on induction only foods for about 5-6 mths. if i continue to eat these foods will i adjust to digesting them? how long did it take for you and did you use beano or anything to get relief in the meantime? what is an acceptable timeframe for reintroducing the foods (5g's per week seems like a stretch!)

thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 06:00

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Depends on what you're adding back...and how much.

Some LCers find that they actually don't digest wheat or other high-gluten grains very well...and they likely never did but when they ate a lot of carbs and were overweight, they just didn't notice! It's a case of, "I didn't know I felt bad until I found out what feeling good is like."

So try adding back higher-carb veggies first, then fruits, then only one grain at a time....maybe brown rice which is low-gluten. Try one grain per week and you may find which one is bothering you. Rice one week; wheat the next; and so on. Besides, you may just find that you can get through life very happily without wheat altogether.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammac-5
Depends on what you're adding back...and how much.
Some LCers find that they actually don't digest wheat or other high-gluten grains very well...and they likely never did but when they ate a lot of carbs and were overweight, they just didn't notice! It's a case of, "I didn't know I felt bad until I found out what feeling good is like."

That would be me too. I didn't have a clue I was gluten senstive, until the low carb diet just happened to eliminate most gluten from what I ate. Atkin's not only helped me lose weight but also saved me from all that pain and swelling.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 08:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I agree. When I get gassy and bloated after a cheat, that's how I used to be 24-7. That crazy Dr Oz on Oprah would agree, I think: someone here posted that he says it's normal and healthy to fart 40 times a day or something like that.

I'm not sure it's something you can adjust to: if you're feeding carbs to your gut bacteria, they're going to produce gas.

For me, there is no adjustment period: I rarely eat higher carb foods.