Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-23, 05:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Some new research and a new article on:

Sugar, Carbs, and Beyond: Decoding Cravings and Food Addiction

https://optimisingnutrition.com/food-addiction/

Quote:
Introduction
Our Dopamine Response to Sugar
Is Fat Addiction a Thing?
Which Foods Contain the Most Sugar?
How Much Sugar or Carbs Can Your Body Tolerate?
How Can I Stop My Sugar Addiction?
Non-Food Factors
Summary

"This article is your compass to navigate the realms of science, addiction, and empowerment, revealing the mosaic of factors that influence our culinary choices.

Have you noticed when people say, ‘I’m addicted to carbs or sugar’. But when they describe the foods they feel addicted to — like chocolate, cookies, chips, and cake — they are actually a combination of carbs and fat.
When we add fat to our carbs, we get seductive, hyper-palatable kryptonite foods that we struggle to stop eating. "
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-23, 06:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I had to add carbs to stop losing weight, so -- at least when I'm recovering -- I need them. They also take the stress of glycogenesis off my liver. And there was a week of eating out and a couple of drinks with relatives visiting. Then a week of number crunching as I fixed the old bookkeeping system going out of business and finding a new one.

It's a spoonful of jam on a cream cheese omelet, or a gf cookie with coffee. And I was worried about cravings, and discovered that yes, they still appear during stress! But I greet them with a smoothie with fruit, and they are satisfied. And sometimes I realize it's nearing the end of my eating window and I'm still not hungry.

I think paying attention of the rhythm of our bodies is so important. Most of us get pressured to put up with everything else taking priority over that, and now we see that it should not.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-23, 03:32

I can also reignite sugar cravings with any artificially sweetened LC treat..IF it is also has fat to crank up the hedonic factor. LC pancakes, cheesecakes, brownies, etc.

"When we add fat to our carbs, we get seductive, hyper-palatable kryptonite foods that we struggle to stop eating." Same with AS, some people think the total carbs in sweeteners don’t count, they do, also the carbs and fat calories in nut flours.

But I have also found non-fat dairy blended with frozen berries and protein powder does not trigger.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Aug-26-23 at 03:43.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-23, 08:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
But I have also found non-fat dairy blended with frozen berries and protein powder does not trigger.

Likewise! I combine Greek yogurt with my Naked Whey protein powder. The combo seems more satiating than either by themselves.That creates a real thickness and mouthfeel. I add some dehydrated fruit for fiber, and a thicker shake. Craving is happy

I think our stories indicate we are actually responding "properly" to sugar cravings. Sally K. Norton says healing takes more energy: and some extra carbs can help the liver cope with the detoxing healing generates. And I do feel better when I have more towards the 50 end than the zero.

Our "smoothie response," with not-much carbs in a matrix of real food, is the right response. And we know it because it satisfies

But we really need to invest in the effort, and know what a great reward we can reap. Because it is a giant reorganization of both home and social life.

Last night, for the first time in ages, we went to a casual dinner party, and had a good time, and I ate two chicken breasts on a bed of curly lettuce with an organic dressing. AND some homemade horseradish dressing on 3 small potato chips, a quarter apple. Then a small portion of the gf cheesecake I had brought, along with a big regular one for the table. No beer.

I found it a sumptous feast, because to me it was. But I'm sure our friends weren't as sure Sometimes people don't understand the long view the way those of us who "eat for health" do. Because this way is also delicious!

Just, not so convenient.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-24, 05:55

Barb, I just found your Oct 2021 question about "sugar addiction". How is your friend doing a few years on?

I thought we had a thread on Dopamine Nation but can’t find it. Placing a new YT video with an interview with author,Dr Anna Lembke. She also been interviewed by Dr. Huberman, but I like Matty Lansdown's clinical experience with "addiction".

Quote:
Anna Lembke has done such a superb job of explaining dopamine and addiction.
The more we indulge in the dopamine hits, the less joy we feel from them - the dopamine gremlins always balance out.
But if we lean into the hard things, we get a more beneficial long-term result as well as the endorphins from doing something hard, like making better food choices, exercising or doing the little things to serve those around us.

Life is hard... choose your hard!

https://youtu.be/1H03mKhnPSE?si=HhqKhs54py5MOngp
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-24, 04:40

BF:

Thanks for the tip. I got Dopamine Nation on my Everand app.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-24, 11:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Janet. Kind of you to remember my friend. She turned 85 last week, and looks 60. She’s still a sugar addict who falls off the wagon now and then. She touches base with a group that helps her stay on track. For her birthday party? Salads. No ice cream and cake. Well, there was a cake, but she was happy to part it out to all the guests.

The other day, I put a can of stewed tomatoes in a sauce. The minute I tasted it, I said YIKE!!! SUGAR!!! Yes, cane sugar right there on the label. I shoulda checked in the store. I was astonished, though, how vividly I experienced that sweetness.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-24, 20:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I hadn't noticed this thread before until this evening.

Glad to hear about your friend's success - it's not that she's never fallen off the wagon, but that she keeps getting back on that wagon again and again - and that's an indication that this might just be the time that it'll stick for good.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-24, 05:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I was astonished, though, how vividly I experienced that sweetness.

Yes, the more we don't eat sweet, the less we want it. And the more we eat it, I think, the more we encourage our body to decide we've fallen into a beehive, and we should eat it all.

That is where the problems start.

One of my experiences was that I notice oversweetness as a metallic taste, unpleasant. Sadly, the finest of desserts still taste good but how often do I run across those? It keeps me away from the muck that passes as baked goods in most of the supermarket.

Also, the Dopamine Nation I found was in German. Which I don't know. That happens occasionally, it's an international app.

But I will still pursue the book, because neuro-fuel will help be get over my Burnout.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-24, 05:37

My local library has it in print, an alternate library has it has an audiobook. There is a "workbook" too
You have to lean into the hard things..and making good food choices is the relevant one here. Do it enough times, and like you the grocery store cookies always near the front door, "disappear" or at least are disgusting. This recent podcast interview is a good overview.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Mar-03-24 at 05:47.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-24, 10:01

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Yes, the more we don't eat sweet, the less we want it. And the more we eat it, I think, the more we encourage our body to decide we've fallen into a beehive, and we should eat it all.

That is where the problems start.

One of my experiences was that I notice oversweetness as a metallic taste, unpleasant. Sadly, the finest of desserts still taste good but how often do I run across those? It keeps me away from the muck that passes as baked goods in most of the supermarket.

~snip~.

I don't know why, but despite all those decades of sugar addiction, I absolutely can't stand the taste of sugar any more. (Which also applies to honey, maple syrup, HFCS, etc). It doesn't taste metallic to me though, just sickeningly sweet.

I still like sweet stuff, but only when it's one of the few artificial sweeteners I'll use (my preference is stevia).

I also avoid any artificial sweeteners that have been extended with maltodextrin to make them easier to measure, because maltodextrin also tastes like sugar to me.

Makes it easy to "just say no" (and really mean it) when someone offers me something sugary.

The down side of this is that the only fruit that doesn't taste sickeningly sweet to me is berries, and there are even some veggies that taste too sweet to me. That list includes things like yellow and orange peppers, some types of winter squash, and certain types of onions - mostly the veggies that are yellow, orange, and sometimes red veggies, although even cauliflower can taste too sweet to me.