Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default anyone just simply...

watching the number of carbs you eat? I am really not interested in doing any one "plan", but would like to just start keeping my carbs to around 80/day. Do you think this would help me lose a few pounds? I eat healthy fats, lean meats, fruits and veggis as it is, but am wondering if by simply lowering my carb intake, it will it be enough to lose my last 10 pounds?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:52

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

I'm no pro at this, but it sounds good to me. My meals are not always balanced (usually low in the carb area), but I seem to be doing well at maintaining.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 16:50

Plan: Moderate Low Carb
Stats: 288/240/150 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 35%

Sounds sensible to me, I think that "diets" work best when you can tailor them to something that works for you. I am on the Insuline Resistance Diet which allows you to eat up to 30 carbs at a meal as long as they are balanced with at least 14 grams of protein. I probably eat about 75-90 grams of carbs a day and try to stick to lower fat meats (but not always) and have lost 13 pounds in January so I think you could lose by simply restricting carbs and eating healthy.

Good Luck,
Christy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:50

Plan: My own thing
Stats: 190/172.5/165 Female 67 in.
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi I am new to this board, but I am doing my own thing when it comes to low carbing. I think I figured out that I am keeping my carbs around 30-40g but I added back in my banana because I missed it too much. I was on Atkin's induction with my dh but I was not eating enough and I hate veggies. If I were still following Atkins strictly I couldn't have my banana back til pre-maintenance and then it was only 1/3 of one. UGH!! I have maintained a 15 pound loss from induction so I think if the rest comes off slowly I will be happy. Note: I didn't have that much to lose to begin with. I think you should do what ever feels good to you and that you can continue with for the rest of your life.

God bless you

Annette

Last edited by Calico : Mon, Feb-09-04 at 11:51.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/203/168 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I

I did phase 1, lost 11 lbs. But have modified to general low carb, moderate carb. I too missed fruit, for its minerals and fibre.

I personally couldnt stick, or want to stick to 30g carbs/day life long, not sure how healthy this is too, could generate long term health issues, guess we will all know in 20yrs time, when more data is available.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/188/150 Female 66
BF:39
Progress: 16%

I am starting to do the same thing. Around 50 grams of carbs a day. I am doing lots of low carb recipes and salads and veggies...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:54

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

My only problem with just restricting some carbs is that im a carb addict..eat one and my body wants ten more!!

so for me it was all or nothing. of course i miss things, but I love that i am in control of what i eat and not this evil thing lurking in me
I think we all have to find our own..I tried just restricting carbs a while a go and I am afraid it didn't work. one became two. two four and so on..that was the end..
so this time I knew it had to be all or nothing..I am not even sure I will be adding lc bread and such as this will be too big a temptation!!

I hope your choices work for you though, if I thought i could go moderatly I would. but for now its strict for me best of luck to you guys!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I personally couldnt stick, or want to stick to 30g carbs/day life long

Hi Dave, if one is following Atkins plan, they do not get to 30 grams then stay like that for life. Thats just 5 carbs over induction. On Atkins you are suppose to raise your carbs by 5 grms per week, til you stop losing for a period of time. That is how you find your suitable daily carb limit.

Even Atkins said that induction levels are not a long term amounts, for good reason, it is'nt healthy.

Sadly that misimformation that people stay on a very low carb count forever is what gives the Diet a bad reputation.

I've been maintaining since Sept /03 and I really have no set carb count, I just eat wisely. A quick in my head count for today so far, is 60, I have only had brk / lunch/ one snk.

I really think some poeple can do well, just by cutting out sugar, white flour, white rice, and starchy veggies. Keep the fruit and veggies and good whole grain products in their diet.

Cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 08:12

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Hi Dave:
Checked out your website. Pretty interesting stuff. Especially since I have experienced so many similar things. e.g. I too had a bad motorbike wreck many years ago that had changed my life. I am a carb addict. I started and am at aprox. the same weights as you are. I gave Atkins a good shot a couple of years ago but for me it was too harsh. Now I am doing "The GI Diet" and find it is right for me as I can maintain this w.o.e. forever without too much hardship even though it is slow but steady. I did find out yesterday how much of a carb addict I am though. My sweetie (I think I'm addicted to her ) thought she would give me a treat for Valentines day, a box of chocolates. She figured I was could have one piece a week and not hurt anything --- riiiight...... about 10 pieces later I realized how much of a carb addict I still am. No more chocolates for me!!!! I picked myself up this morning brushed myself off and will carry on. Bumps in the road will happen I guess.
Good luck.

But have modified to general low carb, moderate carb. I too missed fruit, for its minerals and fibre.

I personally couldnt stick, or want to stick to 30g carbs/day life long, not sure how healthy this is too, could generate long term health issues, guess we will all know in 20yrs time,
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 19:07

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Hi Tresfoofers:
Reaching your goal weight is so fantastic. You must feel great. Thank you for the inspiration.
Slow but steady.
Quincy.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:28

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I am watching my carbs but not counting them. If I guesstimate... I'm at about 60-80 per day. I am following my own plan, but it is very similar to SBD.

Good luck everyone! We have some great losses here.

Paris
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:47

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

I'm not really into any plan either. My guess the closest is Atkins (the only other book I read) and I plan to stick close to induction until I reach my goal 10-30G total carbs per day depending on my moods and cravings.

I'm pretty sure I won't try LC treats with Sugar Alchohols.. I think they will just trigger my cravings

I'm not into structured plans for anything. Plus if I do a plan I'll feel I'm doing a diet. I want this to be a WOL not a diet.

The book I recommend in my signature is what gets me through and helps me stay motivated.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:34

Plan: my own
Stats: 208/187/130 Female five feet
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking

Wow. I am so glad that I'm not the only one doing my own thing.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:00

Plan: my own
Stats: 208/187/130 Female five feet
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking

I was having a terrible time emotionally with Atkins. I felt like I was depriving myself all the time. I was getting really bored, really fast. So, I decided to modify it. I lost 13 pounds during induction, which I have kept off. YAHOO! I started out with 30 to 40 carbs a day with 45 minutes of walking a day. Right now I am eating 40 to 50 carbs a day and walking 45 to 60 minutes. As of last week another 5 pounds has come off. I am happier with my own plan for now. It's really great to know that I'm not alone. Thanks
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 12:18

Plan: hybrid atkins
Stats: 281/218/210 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

I have been trying to do my own low carb thing too , only problem is I have gained about 10 lbs since September , now I am on a mission to get to 210 by May1 st , but I am totally confused what too try now so I will likely go back on induction and see what happens...good luck to all of you.