Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

hi wendy. in another post you mentioned that you really like the 'carbohydrate addicts diet' cookbook. my brother got that for me for Christmas. i haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but i've read the book through several times. tell me, what are some of the recipes that you've tried from the book and what are your faves.
thanks a lot.
debbie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 21:36

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Deb,

Well lets see, not like I have done alot of them, yet the ones I have done are simple yet tasty....which is what has surprised me.

Basic Steak and Peppers pg. 93 Its basic, still tasty though.

Crusty Beef Roast pg. 95 (although I didn't know what the heck tarragon was and still don't, so skipped it...yet the roast was really tasty! I'm afraid I was impressed with myself!)

Far East Beef Teriyaki pg. 97 (got from a site also... to go with this... the califlower to make into a rice (I think chineese rice, family loved it!) Can't wait to try it like potatoes...which sounds pretty easy...cook... mash etc... umm...remember me....I don't like califlower! Ain't that something!!!!

Simply Mustardy Pork Chops pg. 109 (Not a big musturd fan, but family is!)

Salmon Patties pg. 163 These freaked me out cause all you have to buy is tin salmon...when making them into patties, they seemed so wet and I thought...oh dear...I've done something wrong...sure enough when they bake they do dry up and end up being patties, except beware, they do fall apart when taking them up, then again, maybe I did something wrong....hehehe. Again family really liked them, next time I will do four tins instead of just two...one pattie was not enough for all, they were yummie!

Sauteed Seafood Cantonese pg. 175 I must have felt inventive this night as I can not afford the shrimp they call for (just the small type frozen..$4.99 a bag). I had some fake crab, no scallops (lets face it...feeding a family of four!) and again, what the heck is tarragon??? and for that matter....hot pepper flakes? I just added celery and green pepper for veggies...hmmmm..and maybe red peppers too and fresh green beans. My kids couldn't get enough of it...guess I better double up next time!

Savory fish with Vegetables pg. 154-155 Again, got to love improvising..... I must have felt inventive once again or frustrated at feeding four instead of just two. I bought some frozen fish...something I can't even remember..... so I know it wasn't expensive, probably just cod. No leeks, didn't want to freak the family out.....hehehe...but had the romaine lettuce to set it on and my son thought I was crazy....hahaha...here I thought it was kinda cool, my daughter and I ate it (the lettuce), but my son threw it away...grrrrrr....anyway..again they loved it!

My favourite so far is the roast and the salmon patties. The shrimp and fake crab was good too, but not enough I think....or maybe just a light meal as we tend to eat more meat then fish! Still have alot more to check out, but also cooking from Atkins site, the chops I love with the pork rinds and creamy sauce.

Not bad eh Deb, for someone that hasn't got time to cook! Natually this isn't happening every day, but give it time!

Actually its not a lot of cooking, I just forgot... I think how to cook with all these fast food ways they have in our grocery stores these days! One can get caught up with not really cooking these days what with our busy lives...I do believe this happened to me and I got so fed up....I was truly at wits end with food and not even enjoying food anymore....then I met you folks....and now....well now....I am experiencing a new woe.......Got to still work on the veggies though....I will...one day at a time!

Wendy

Last edited by numberonewendy : Thu, Apr-12-01 at 22:26.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-01, 08:12

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

thanks so much wendy. wow, girl!! you've been busy!! i know what you mean about feeding a family too! i think i'll try the cantonese seafood first. not today, because everything's closed, but maybe next friday. the 2 kids who still live at home both work till quite late on friday nights and i don't like to eat meat on fridays(good Catholic girl that i am!). i could afford scallops just for dave and me. thanks for all your input wendy!

byw tarragon is a lovely herb. i grow it in my garden. it's a perrenial, comes back year after year. it has sort of a sweet taste a little like licorice, but without the bitterness. you can buy it fresh (read: expensive) in the produce deptartment. you can also buy it dried at the bulk stores. give it a try! i don't know anyone who doesn't like it. it's wonderful on chicken!

i've made fake mashed potatoes many times. just be sure to squeeze all the water out of the cauliflower in a sieve. i add cream cheese, sour cream and an egg to my mashed cauliflower. i also cook the cauliflower in chicken stock with a couple (or several) cloves of smashed garlic. i'm making this to take to my mom's on easter. to dress it up i think i'm going to put some crushed pork rinds mixed with parmeson cheese and butter on top. oh yeah, i bake it in the oven in a pie plate for about 1/2 an hour. mmmm!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-01, 08:40

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oh my Deb....

I'm actually drooling over your mashed potatoes as I read.....I can't wait to try it.....Me and califlower???? Man...look who is changing her woe!

Wendy