Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-01, 06:19

Plan:
Stats: 120/110/105
BF:
Progress:
Question

How safe are these artificial sweeteneres we re ingesting? There's a lot of bad rap about Nutrasweet (causing brain tumors and neurological dieases like lupus) and saccharine (causes cancer). I had a bad reaction eating Nutrasweet with severe arthritis that just appeared out of no where. I stopped eating it and over a few weeks my symptoms dissappeared. Then stupidly I began to eat it again recently because I was having trouble staying on the diet. What a mistake. My arthritis is coming back really strong again. I don't seem to have any reaction to Sucralose but don't seem to know much about that one. I know Stevia is completely safe, but a lot of commerical products just do not have stevia in them, so I have to make my own goodies. That's not always practical when working all the time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-01, 08:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb artificial sweeteners

hi Teena,

I've posted an article about Sweeteners in the "Tips" section of the LowCarb Canada website. Just click Tips in the red menu bar at the top of this page, or click here http://www.lowcarber.org/tips/tips006.html to open a new window.

I'm not sure where you live, Canada or US?? I'm assuming US, since you didn't mention cyclamate, which is still banned in the states, despite over 30 years of safety in human use. SugarTwin and Sucaryl are two brand names, and cyclamate sweeteners come in granulated like sugar, brown sugar flavour, individual packets, zero-carb liquid drops and zero-carb mini-tablets. It is fine to use in cooking, since it doesn't lose its sweetness like aspartame/Nutrasweet does. It can have a bitter after-taste.

Some people find that by mixing two types of sweetener together, you get an improved sweet taste with no bitter aftertaste, and you can often use LESS of the combined amount. Dr. Atkins recommends this in his cookbooks.

Aspartame - nutrasweet is coming under fire lately, and rightly so. It appeared on the market as a cheap and friendlier alternative to cyclamate and saccharin. But as you stated, a lot of folks are experiencing negative effects. I too find that it will trigger headaches and irritable bowel if I eat more than one serving of any food with it. I generally avoid it altogether, or just have a single serving of a "diet" food if I'm somewhere (a restaurant, or someone else's home) where there is no other choice. It's too bad, because most commercial diet foods are made with aspartame. Like diet hot chocolate, iced tea, jello and dessert mixes, soft drinks, etc........ Gradually, we're seeing a change, and more foods are available with sucralose. Here in Canada, most diet foods are made with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame-potassium, a supposedly safe, completely non-absorbed zero-calorie sweetener. Ace-K as it's known, has a bitter taste when used on its own, but when blended, this feature disappears. By blending the two sweeteners, less of either one is needed to give food the same sweet taste. So in a way, it's a good thing, less aspartame in the food.

Sucralose - Splenda has been around for quite a while in Canada, but is only just available in the US in the past 2 years. It has a high degree of safety, including use by children and pregnant women. It is stable in heat, so it's great to use in cooking. I heard a rumour that it may one day be available in brown sugar flavour!! YUM.

Stevia is a natural sweet extract from the leaves of a South American plant, stevia rebaudiana. Like any plant-based substance, there is always the potential for allergic reaction. Although it is calorie and carb-free, some studies show that it may trigger insulin just like sugar. In Protein Power, the Eades caution against its use.

It's true that after a time, the sweet-tooth does "die off" a bit. I generally don't eat sweets or desserts, but I realise that would be hard to do with a family around. I recently ate a "sugar free" chocolate bar made with maltitol, and it triggered a toothache, it just tasted so SWEET - it was overwhelming (not to mention the "laxative effect")

Now, if I could just tame my "greasy-fried" tooth, you know, the one that makes you crave chips, fries, nachos, onion rings and the like........

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 17-01-01 at 09:32]
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-01, 18:05

Plan:
Stats: 120/110/105
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Actually I AM from Canada. Forgot to mention cyclamate, but since I don't find it in too many products we eat, I don't bother with it too much. I always put stevia in my coffee.

It's good to know Maltitol is safe, because I just picked up some ice cream from Dominion that is sugar free and it has that and sucralose in it. On top of that it's really good-Chapman's ice cream.

Thanks for all the info.