Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 20:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi I have just come back after lots of months backsliding. I have been catching up with this thread and printing bits out. I have recently been using affirmations myself as I decided it was time to lose some fat. One idea I had is to make some affirmation cards on my imaging software and tranfer them to my Palm. Its great because no on else can see them and when I have a minute to spare I can turn them on. People have no idea what I am doing!

So if you happen to have a Palm try it out. The Palm will run it as a slide show, or you can just show one card at a time, using the software that came with it ( MGI photo Suite Mobile Edition) . I was a bit embarrassed about the idea of sticking affirmation cards around the house and having everyone see them. This way I can keep it to myself. I think it must be working too because since I began I have revived my motivation and started eating low carb properly again. now I just need some exercise affirmations!!
eebee
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 20:47

BF:
Default Re: Not pickn' on you...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimsgems
[B]TriciaW;

Now if you combine all that "Feel Good" stuff with a daily WOE that in our case is total participation in the Atkins WOE, then you will experience great results, then you will really have some pride and feelings of accomplishments. That can start on the very first pound by the way.

Other wise it's just BS and the "Feel Good" stuff waists time and acomplishes nothing in and about itself.

Hi Jim- I know this message is a month old but I just arrived today! I have to say I would have totally agreed until a few weeks ago. I just thought how silly it all was. But I was on a business course recently and quite incidentally learnt something new about it that did make sense. The process is that you say the affirmations and the saying and repetition changes your behaviour. You start doing as you say. I could consider that as a possibility. It makes some sense dont you think? I thought it was worth a try and lo and behold suddenly I am back here again after months and months of lack of motivation! I guess it could make you a millionaire too if it got you to start managing your budget and not take too much retail therapy- not by magic though. eebee
  #153   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 21:09
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Glad to have you back "on board" eebee!! Your idea about the palm is really great!! Maybe I'll ask Santa for one this Christmas! I have been a really, really good girl!

Best of luck to you as you re-start your LCing.... if there's any way I can help, just gimme a whistle, OK?

Glad you found the thread useful!
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 01:26

Plan: Atkins, Radient Health
Stats: 176/146/127
BF:44%/?%/23%
Progress: 61%

Great thread

I haven't been around the web site for a good two months. This is amazing, I was just talking to a friend about affirmations and positive thinking. Coincidence or what? I just started reading

"You can heal your life" by Louise L. Hay

It's all about restructuring one's life and finding self-esteem and self-love. I think we all could use help in this department in order to be successful. Anyway I'm a late starter to this thread, but I'm in Haven't had a chance to read all the threads yet but I sure am inspired!!!

Keep up the good work!
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 02:30

Plan: Modified Atkins for Diabetics.
Stats: 401/240/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Hi Kiwi....

Hi eebee;

How are things when you are upside down, (sorry eebee, just a little Southern Hemisphere joke, like you’ve never heard that one before.

I have been staying away from this string because I think I was seriously mis-understood or I said what I meant poorly, or maybe I'm just wrong. I’ll try again...

I think affirmations, positive thinking and positive self talk are enormously helpful. The hypocrisy of it is when well meaning people expect that just saying something in a positive statement by itself, almost like a mantra if you will, this of and by itself without putting that affirmation or affirmations into action and then wondering why they fail.

Positive imaging and self affirmation are very powerful tools, I’ve used it myself for years and what it is that I’m trying to say is… “if you expect words (alone) without actions to make a difference in you life, in your weight, or whatever, it is just like wishing for the “Good Fairy” to do it for you.” Now, I probably just made the “Good Fairy” people mad at me too.

Now, to another subject… what part of New Zealand are you located, North Island or South? I’m heading to Auckland in a few weeks on business I’m really looking forward to the time there. I really like NZ, I hope to get South while I’m there if not this trip, maybe the next. I’m hoping to make about two trips a year, some of us in America know what a beautiful country New Zealand is and some of its history too. I’m also bringing my camera, some of the vistas are in a word… incredible. Well, I’m going to go now, I hope I cleared my thoughts up a little, or did I fail again. Maybe I should just avoid the forum and this string in particular, seems I always upsetting folks, so… I’ll go now.
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 02:54

BF:

Hi Jim. I think we all have the right to speak as we see. Why should that offend anyone? The western world and all its freedoms are founded on that aren't they?

I live in Dunedin, in the South Island of NZ

eebee
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Stats: 140/130/115
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default hi!

I haven't been on the thread in a while. I have been reading the posting, just not posting anything myself. School is absolutely crazy right now with exams and all my time to devoted to school....and I'm leaving for Europe in a week. Too many things to do too little time. Anyways, I have really been focusing to do everything I do in a positive manner. I swear. I feel much better. It was hard at first but I'm taking little steps.

Anyways, I was having a postive day when someone from my past (who I had a very bad relationship) said some negative things about me. I really just want to have nothing to do with this person, but think it is unfair that they won't leave me alone. How do I not let the negative things others say about me, affect me? How do I not give this person such power over me?

Suggestions. please.

Terri--I'm working on that list u gave me.

On a briter side, we just got 8 inchs of snow, and it looks so beautiful on the farm I live on.
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 09:19

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default I am so grateful to find this thread...

I always thought of myself as a positive person but I have noticed that in the past couple of years I have slipped into some negative thinking patterns.

I work in an environment that is filled with gossip and general hatefulness and have even found myself beginning to contribute to that. Not like me at all!

And although I have lost a substantial amount of weight I feel so discouraged. (I expected to look much thinner at this weight than I do.)

So I need to get myself back on track ... I'm on board! How do I start? Visualization? Meditation? Affirmations? What is the best way to begin?

molly
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 09:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default opps!

I meant brghter side...
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 09:42
Registered Member

BF:

Molly...check out page 2 of the thread....Terri gave an excellent start for everyone new to the thread and postive thinking.
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:05

Plan: Atkins, Radient Health
Stats: 176/146/127
BF:44%/?%/23%
Progress: 61%

Molly,

Your doing a great job with your weight loss, you should feel proud of your progress
As far as the workplace environment, that kind of negativity and gossip is good for no one. Really try to avoid it. The book by

Don Miguel Ruiz called "The Four Agreements"

is great in offering a 'powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness and love' ( I took that from the back of the book, it sums it up beautifully)
As far as not being happy about the way you look after your weight loss I really do believe that a "before" picture does wonders. You can compare and really see how great you do look. Another thing, look in the mirror and concentrate on the things you like about your image. For example, maybe you really love your smile or your eyes, tell yourself that each time you see yourself in a mirror. This, in time will help your image of yourself change. We tend to always just see the things we don't like, instead of seeing the things you like. I'm just starting to do this myself.
Remember to take that photo. (preferably in a bathing suit) You'll be amazed at just how far you've come. And how great you really do look at your new weight!

Good Luck
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 11:41

BF:
Default You already have the answers.

Dear Molly;

All your answers are here. Keep searching and believing and enjoying this way of life and then it's only a matter of time. We didn't gain "tons" of weight over night, it may have seemed that way, but it's just not true, give your self a break, relax and gain the perspective to realize your wonderfulness and beauty.

We are all set up the same, God made us in His image and with a mind and free will, but I also know that if I ask you to not think of an orange, you must think of an orange. We are just wired that way if you didn't think of an orange, how would you know what not to think of? Just a thought.

It's all there where you live, you already have the tools and answers you seek, just listen to your internal dialog and sit back, and get it. Be well. J

Last edited by Jimsgems : Sun, Dec-01-02 at 11:45.
  #163   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 13:51
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Wow

Suzali-

Things work SO mysteriously! I was signing on here SPECIFICALLY to report on a book I just read... THE FOUR AGREEMENTS!!! My jaw dropped when I read your post. Isn't that wierd??

The book is amazing...long story short...BF had the COMPANION book in his car, I read the back and thought it sounded interesting...we went to Barnes and Noble last night, picked up the book. Well I couldnt put it down....I fell asleep readin it and woke up and finished it this morning. I thought it was GREAT. I am starting the Companion book today.

It is based on 4 "agreements":
1. Be impeccable with your word
2. Don't take anything personally
3. Don't make assumptions
4. Always do your best

Very quick read and I highly reccommend it, it makes a lot of sense!!

I am on a new course...a positive, self loving one, and if anyone knows me from here, this sounds odd coming from me...I am not even used to it yet...but look out happiness...here I come!!!!!!

~Michelle
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 06:38
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hello everyone! It's great to see you all doing so well!!

Michelle - Wow! What an attitude change! It's wonderful to hear you so upbeat. I really do think that becoming AWARE of your thoughts has done wonders for you....it sounds as though your positive thoughts are at least outnumbering your negative thoughts these days, hmmmm? Good job!

Piggy - It IS very hard for anyone to deal with insults and harsh words. I once had a very verbally abusive BF....and when I broke up with him of course he became even more abusive! For one thing, you shouldn't even allow the conversation to take place! If you don't desire contact with him, then why is he able to contact you? (I'm not looking for the answers, I want you to answer these things for yourself.) But that's really beside the point, anyway.... how can you not allow the words to affect you? I used to focus on thoughts like these, "He has so many life lessons to learn and it appears his soul has chosen a very difficult path wrought with hate and judgments. I forgive him and will pray for him." In other words, I would detach myself from the incident and see that the situation is really about HIM and not about ME.... that his need to spew insults were the result of his fear.

In any situation we all choose to act from a place of Love or Fear....and only those two emotions. Think about that for a moment and it makes complete sense. The more often you choose Love over Fear, the more peaceful your life will be. Love your "enemies" and you'll find that negative emotions dissipate. It sounds difficult, but continuing to foster the negative emotions is far more difficult and destructive.

Does that make sense? I don't explain things too well sometimes Too early in the morning!
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 11:28

BF:
Default It happened to me...

I have put what I preach to the test... When you put the visualization and positive self talk to work, well I've been blessed by the results.