Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 07:36

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default What's the thing with dairy?

I'm wondering why dairy causes so many of us to stall. I went dairy-free only because of this reason, not because dairy isn't paleo...I would have been a cheerful paleo-pervert if only dairy didn't make me stall! But WHY does it make me stall? It's not as if I ate an entire block of cheese at a sitting...really, it's just fat (yum) and protein (more yum) and no carbs at all.

I'm finding myself hungry mid-morning now, and I think it's because I'm not putting HFWC in my coffee. I just can't stomach putting coconut oil into it. I eat bacon and eggs almost every morning for breakfast and that should take me through to lunch, but lately it's not cutting it. I miss my dairy...specifically my HFWC! I'm thinking of trying coconut cream. I could even just eat a couple of teaspoons of it separate from my coffee!

If anyone can shed some light on the dairy=stall, I'd love to read it. Thanks for your time! I hope everyone has a terrific day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 08:15
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Maybe this will help:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 08:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

For me it's because I go crazy on dairy. I get started down that path and then I can't stop. I am one who could eat a whole block of cheese.

Then it also makes me feel like poo too. I get nasal congestion, sinus infections, constipation, bloating and so on. I think it's the casein.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 10:18

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

It's a calorically dense food I can easily overeat. I can eat an 8 oz block of good cheddar in a day-certainly not conducive to my losing weight.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 06:27

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Thanks everyone! cnmLisa, I should have thought of checking out Mark's site for myself. Loved the link you sent me...it certainly answered my questions. It helped shed light on the allergy/intolerance to milk proteins as well. My husband suffers psoriasis/arthritis, and he greatly improved when we went dairy free. He still indulges himself from time to time with good cheese, but he pays for it in pain later...he says it's worth it though!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 07:13

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

I use A2 milk, it's great. Take care with goat milk .. most of the time it's nice, just like cow milk, but then you may get one that tastes a lot like, well, a goat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 11:10

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was mistakenly diagnosed as lactose intolerant and ate no dairy for many years. One thing I fondly remember was an internet discussion of which brand of goat milk was the least "goaty."

But it didn't do a thing for me; weight-wise or health-wise. Whereas giving up grains took only a month or two for me to start noticing positive results; which continue to this day.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 11:18

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
For me it's because I go crazy on dairy. I get started down that path and then I can't stop. I am one who could eat a whole block of cheese.

Then it also makes me feel like poo too. I get nasal congestion, sinus infections, constipation, bloating and so on. I think it's the casein.
Is cheese the only dairy product that does that to you?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Same here, I could eat cream, cream cheese and yogurt for DAYS. But if I have have more than a little bit once every few weeks I get mucous-y in my throat first (after half an hour or so) which starts making me feel anxious as I can't breathe properly. After that if I have more the next day or meal, the mild bloating and general snot - lovely. Then if I don't quit, I start getting acne after a couple of days. It's worth it maybe for a single cheesecake once in a rare while but no more than that.

It's a shame, as I'd love to have 'normal' low carb pudding every weekend, but it's interesting experimenting with Paleo recipes.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 17:44

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Maybe this will help:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Thanks for the link! It was interesting and led to more interesting links about cheese. I'm convinced I should try some grass fed cheese, maybe goat or sheep. I really miss cheese still. <sigh>
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 08:43

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I've been considering giving up dairy. It's difficult. I gave it up in the past for several months on an allergy elimination diet. I think I did lose weight then but my diet in general was limited. I didn't notice any positive changes - just felt deprived.

I haven't looked at the link to MDA. Maybe it will convince me to give it another shot.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 10:36

Plan: atkins inductin diet wine
Stats: 250/220/190 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 50%

Coconut milk in a carton is dairy free, & only 50 calories a cup, look for the so Delicious brand, I find mine by the almond milk, on the shelves. It pours just like cows milk.
I think Kerrygold Irish cheddar is grass fed cheese. I love it, as it is mature , with flavor to match.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 14:08

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
It's a shame, as I'd love to have 'normal' low carb pudding every weekend, but it's interesting experimenting with Paleo recipes.

TigerH I made a delicious pudding the other day with Coconut milk..I scooped just the cream out of the can and mixed in approx 1/4cup 100% Hershey's cocoa..Then I added a dash of vanilla extract and a few drops of liquid stevia to sweeten..I mixed this thoroughly and then added in some chopped Pecans for texture!! YUMMO!!!!! If you put it in the freezer and stir often it will be like soft serve ice cream.. The wonderful thing is it is actually HEALTHY to eat this!!! The antioxidants from the cocoa and the good fat from the coconut!! In the words of Charlie Sheen.."WINNER!!!!"
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
TigerH I made a delicious pudding the other day with Coconut milk..I scooped just the cream out of the can and mixed in approx 1/4cup 100% Hershey's cocoa..Then I added a dash of vanilla extract and a few drops of liquid stevia to sweeten..I mixed this thoroughly and then added in some chopped Pecans for texture!! YUMMO!!!!! If you put it in the freezer and stir often it will be like soft serve ice cream.. The wonderful thing is it is actually HEALTHY to eat this!!! The antioxidants from the cocoa and the good fat from the coconut!!

HOT DANG, that sounds good! I've made something similar before, but hadn't thought of adding chopped nuts or freezing it - OMG I'm drooling at the idea!

So far, I've made many cocoa and raspberry pancakes and cupcakes and cookies. Also similar variations of apple and raspberry. I've just been given some homegrown pears, so I might keep a couple back for this weekend's experimentation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1492
In the words of Charlie Sheen.."WINNER!!!!"
He also has a thing about tiger blood - you don't get much more paleo than that!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 16:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 500/408/300 Male 73 inches
BF:toodamnmuch
Progress: 46%

Quote:
HOT DANG, that sounds good! I've made something similar before, but hadn't thought of adding chopped nuts or freezing it - OMG I'm drooling at the idea!

You can also make it with unsalted butter instead of the Coconut milk,and it will set up in the fridge similar to traditional chocolate!! However don't forget as I did that it is flavored butter and eat 6 tablespoons...Ohhhhhh man,the room was spinning....It tasted sooooooo goooood!!!!! but made me sooooo ill!!!! One tbsp please!! Let it melt in your mouth so silky good..Yuuuuummmmm!!!