Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 199/201/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress: -5%
Default IF standalone

I have been eating a somewhat casual low carb diet for a few months without really losing any weight. I added a 16/8 intermittent fasting about a month ago and still have not seen any weight loss. I know that in addition to low carb, for me to lose weight, I will have to reduce calories, or add exercise, or go full keto but that is not really the point of this post. As I mentioned, adding IF hasn't really made any difference for me as far as weight loss. I see a lot of people online promoting IF but they usually have also incorporated some other changes such as keto or exercise. I'm curious if anyone has tried IF without also making other changes, or does IF really need to be used as one piece of an overall change?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 08:23

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I lost weight on IF before going low carb. I did 19/5 though; I don't think I would have lost much if anything on 16/8. I did do some jogging but not a rigid program.

My IF FaceBook group makes a point of reminding members that they need to find an IF style that works for them; some can lose with 16/8, others do better with one meal a day spread over 4 hours, yet others find success with ADF. And while some can eat what they like in their window, others need to cut their carbs to some extent or radically.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 08:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
My IF FaceBook group makes a point of reminding members that they need to find an IF style that works for them;.

That makes sense. My gut feeling is I need to get the diet right first. A stricter IF, e.g. 20/4 or OMAD would probably move the needle, but concentrating on the food might be a better first step.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Apr-15-20 at 15:13. Reason: Fixing quote tag
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 09:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

IMHO, to go OMAD for me required a keto diet in the weeks before. Primes the biochemical pumps to handle mobilizing the fat stores.

There is no way to get around reducing calories; otherwise the body gets enough fuel thru food and doesnot need to use body fat.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Apr-15-20 at 09:50.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
IMHO, to go OMAD for me required a keto diet in the weeks before. Primes the biochemical pumps to handle mobilizing the fat stores.

I don't doubt that OMAD would work, I do doubt I could stick to it. Did OMAD result in a reduction of calories in your case, or did you maintain calories in one meal?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043ched
I have been eating a somewhat casual low carb diet for a few months without really losing any weight. I added a 16/8 intermittent fasting about a month ago and still have not seen any weight loss. I know that in addition to low carb, for me to lose weight, I will have to reduce calories, or add exercise, or go full keto but that is not really the point of this post. As I mentioned, adding IF hasn't really made any difference for me as far as weight loss. I see a lot of people online promoting IF but they usually have also incorporated some other changes such as keto or exercise. I'm curious if anyone has tried IF without also making other changes, or does IF really need to be used as one piece of an overall change?

I'm not sure what a "somewhat casual low carb diet" means. Everyone is a bit different in how severe their insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome is that everyone must adjust to find what works best. Being casual sounds like you're consuming too many carbs and not covering yourself with healthy proteins and fats in addition to low carb, above ground veggies. If you're casual, you'll get casual results. Going to IF without determining what your most effective WOE is will cause additional cravings, as when you refeed, you'll tend to overeat to compensate. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you read one or more of the excellent books that define a healthy low carb diet or get on the DietDoctor website and take part in the rich information there.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Echoing Rob's comment (I'm glad I read down before typing a bunch of junk)

So Original Poster - so many variables to see what works you kind of have to keep as many of those variable at least defined and stable - so, first, I'd define what you mean by casual low car (how many carbs a day, when do you eat, what do you eat)

I can certainly GAIN weight doing IF of 16/8 eating "low carb" so it's tuff to to give you and answer but the usual answer would be..."It depends"

Give us more info and we'll try to help you sort it out.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
If you're casual, you'll get casual results.

By casual, I mean I am not counting or strictly monitoring macros, including calories and may occasionally eat something that doesn't belong in a low carb diet. By low carb, I mean I do know I am below 100g of carbs, often less than 50g of carbs. I don't worry about net, so those estimates are total carbs. I know I will have to adjust my diet to start losing weight, but I'm really questioning weather IF has any real value for weight loss. As I mentioned, it seems most people doing IF have also made other adjustments, which may be more responsible for their success than the IF. I'm hoping to hear if anyone has tried IF without any other adjustments, but my guess is that would be rare. My thinking right now is to make the adjustments to my diet and not really worry about IF. I may add IF back once I've tightened up my diet to a point that would not be described as casual. Regardless, I'm always open to suggestions and happy to hear any comments.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:48
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123

Give us more info and we'll try to help you sort it out.

Thanks for replying. I gave some additional info in my last reply, so I won't repeat unless anyone wants some more information or has any questions. Thanks in advance.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 12:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
By casual, I mean I am not counting or strictly monitoring macros, including calories and may occasionally eat something that doesn't belong in a low carb diet. By low carb, I mean I do know I am below 100g of carbs, often less than 50g of carbs. I don't worry about net, so those estimates are total carbs. I know I will have to adjust my diet to start losing weight, but I'm really questioning weather IF has any real value for weight loss. As I mentioned, it seems most people doing IF have also made other adjustments, which may be more responsible for their success than the IF. I'm hoping to hear if anyone has tried IF without any other adjustments, but my guess is that would be rare. My thinking right now is to make the adjustments to my diet and not really worry about IF. I may add IF back once I've tightened up my diet to a point that would not be described as casual. Regardless, I'm always open to suggestions and happy to hear any comments.

I think you're heading in the right direction if you are going to make dietary adjustments first. I know that when I started many years ago, if I ate 100 grams of carbs I wouldn't have seen any progress. That doesn't work for me. Even at 50 grams, my progress would have been slow. I committed to 20 or under, and in 6 months, I dropped over 40 pounds, and in another 6 weeks, I dropped 5 more. That was without exercise; although, I now exercise frequently. Amazing how you feel when you have energy and less weight to carry around.

I highly recommend you adopt a low carb protocol and get the book of a good author who is highly respected for low carb results. There are many, but it will give you structure and a plan to follow. Here's a thread for books on this forum:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480468

If you're "going off the reservation" eating things that aren't low carb, that's a major issue, as you're embracing the "one step forward, two steps back" behavior that causes people to quit this approach by mistakenly thinking "it just doesn't work for me." This is merely a weak excuse. Link into the Journals/Bootcamp threads on this forum, as there are many who started out like you and provide a fantastic set of information and knowledge to help themselves and you:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Most of all, enjoy the journey, as it's not a quick fix, but it works well with dedication and consistency. It just takes time to learn yourself and what works best for you.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 13:31
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the feedback.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 16:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
I'm really questioning weather IF has any real value for weight loss.
Hi and welcome. I think it certainly has real value for weight loss in terms of insulin levels. Probably for overall metabolic health, too.

I don't believe we evolved to eat all day and night. We're supposed to wake up hungry and have to go kill something. When dietitians came up with this "eat every 3 hours/fuel your metabolism/breakfast is the most important meal of the day" nonsense, that was trouble. To paraphrase Dr Tro Kalayjian, "Time-Restricted Eating used to just be called, 'eating.' "

If I was writing a how-to weight loss and health book, IF would probably be in the middle. Kicking the sugar, grains and seed oils as much as practical would be chapter one. Get your appetite under control, get off the blood sugar roller coaster, and IF will come more naturally, anyway.

Good luck.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 16:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I think it certainly has real value for weight loss in terms of insulin levels. Probably for overall metabolic health, too.

Thanks for your comment. I also think there is some benefit to IF and fasting, but I'm not convinced it does much for weight loss without also correcting other behavior. Of course, I don't say that as a criticism because it probably can also be said about most weight loss techniques.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 16:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Kristine is pointing out that insulin must run at low levels for weight loss to happen. Aka keto.

One doctor explains how extra energy not immediarely used is put into storage. Then as needed it is pulled out to fuel the cells. For most people this is a daily cycle. For those eating around the clock, only food storage occurs. There needs to be a break from eating long enough to mobilize the stores.

Does that help......

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Apr-15-20 at 16:59.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 17:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Kristine is pointing out that insulin must run at low levels for weight loss to happen. Aka keto.

I'm not hear to argue, and am happy to hear all comments and opinions, but if you are saying keto or IF is required to lose weight, than that is not my experience at all. I did lose weight eating casual low carb in the past, 3 meals and two snacks, but for whatever reason, it does not seem to be enough now. As a previous commenter stated, I need to drop the casual and be more deliberate. I'm not opposed to keto, and if low carb doesn't get it done, I will ratchet the carbs down to a keto level. Thanks for commenting.