Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-21, 06:28

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Survived Halloween??

A new month, a new resolution, right? Halloween is the kick-off for the Eating Season. Holidays ahead will pose infinite challenges--endless opportunities to face-plant into sugar goodies, with "loving family" making it tough to say no.

We were Halloween ogres last night: turned off the porch light, and didn't answer the ring. Our house is not located in prime trick-or-treat territory, so we were not swarmed with cute kids in colorful outfits. I'm not against the custom, but it makes me a little sad every year.

I know there are lots of ways to create low-carb treats that help you get past the binge danger. What are your favorites?

Mine is a decadent (and easy) LC Cheesecake. Lots of recipes here and there, so I won't post on this thread. I serve this for company.

However, after twenty years of more-or-less faithful low-carb eating, the best outcome is not craving sweets at all. But then, my compulsion is salty/crunchy, and that takes constant vigilance.

I'm strengthening my strategy now for making the next two months festive and fun without letting carbohydrates take over.

Be well!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-21, 09:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Our neighborhood has "aged out" so no candy, no lights, no kids. The Grinch arrived early.

One of the reasons I wanted to lower my blood glucose from the effects of adaptive glucose sparing was I also wanted to regain Metabolic Flexibility. https://optimisingnutrition.com/met...en-it-needs-it/ Not only more higher carb healthy food like potatoes, carrots, apples, yogurt, but also so one celebration day can be just that. My meal is still focused on higher protein, nutrient dense foods, but wine and a slice of pie isn’t the end of the world. The next day I fast until my blood glucose indicates my "fuel tanks" are empty again before I eat. Breaks between weight loss challenges are encouraged, and last year I took one for about 2 weeks year end. The weight regain shows on my chart in the OptimisingNutrition article, but then I lost it and continued to lose by improving my nutrient intake and finding the best hours for fasting.

The only low carb substitute I kept last year was Jody's Pumpkin Bake. https://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_bake.html I cut down the sweetener to the original half cup or less. The appeal is mainly because the recipe is super simple and the spices and pumpkin mask some of the sweetener taste.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Nov-01-21 at 13:08.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-21, 10:11

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thanks for the recipe Janet, recipe uses a whole can. My regular cheese cake recipe leaves 2/3 of a can.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-21, 21:25

Plan: 12/25/63 (c/p/f)
Stats: 218/207.8/155 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey everyone! I survived. It was day 10 of being on the wagon, so I was motivated to continue. Honestly, I can't think of a candy I crave. Isn't it crazy how after just a few days we already have reduced hunger and cravings? I don't know if others have the same experience.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-21, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
after just a few days we already have reduced hunger and cravings
I'm happy for you that you can say this. We old-timers believe it to be true, but it's been a long time since "withdrawal."

I'm coaching a friend, who is in the first days. I keep telling her that gnawing hunger will go away, and eventually cravings will diminish. Hoping and hoping she will find this out for herself.

The other thing? Finding a new way to eat that she actually likes. She's used to punishing herself with low-cal/low-fat methods like WW. NOT sustainable.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-21, 15:16

Plan: 12/25/63 (c/p/f)
Stats: 218/207.8/155 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hoping and hoping she will find this out for herself.

The other thing? Finding a new way to eat that she actually likes. She's used to punishing herself with low-cal/low-fat methods like WW. NOT sustainable.

100% agree. My mom is so afraid of eating fat, decades of misinformation, you know?

I hope your friend jumps aboard!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 07:27

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I know there are lots of ways to create low-carb treats that help you get past the binge danger. What are your favorites?

Unfortunately I can't say that I have a successful one yet.

I did super great up until about mid-August. Then I started overeating on purely LC stuff, which was annoying but not too concerning. Then, around mid-September, I started having some things I definitely shouldn't, but still stayed away from outright sugar. Then around the first week or so in October I had a bit of sugar (like two of those really small Tootsie rolls) and that started a slide that lasted through Halloween night. It involved eating increasing amounts of candy and some other carby stuff. I was definitely going off the rails.

I've managed to, so far, get the sugar out of my life again.

I have little doubt that it will always be a monster waiting to drag me down, no matter how long I manage to abstain. Low-carb alternatives don't seem to really help -- if anything they prop the door open for a full-on slip. I need to get back to focusing on strict calorie and meal control. That was what worked really good for the first half of the year, so I know it works. I'm not there yet, but definitely moving in the right direction.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 08:38

BF:

Quote:
I have little doubt that it will always be a monster waiting to drag me down
Yes, I have that feeling about salty/crunchy. It's easy to tell myself that peanuts are okay because they are basically vegetables. Well, yes. But not every day. And not in a large quantity.

I do best with accountability: writing down everything I eat--or even better, plan to eat that day. After a while, patterns emerge that are helpful, including finding out what style of eating gives me the most pleasure as well as the other rewards.

Best wishes.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 09:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Found candy wrappers in trash.....thank Goodness son kept these hidden.

🥨 Snacks. Salty pork rinds help with a crunchy snack. And almond flour crackers, which my teens steak. Easy to make.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 17:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I keep Russell Stover stevia sweetened chocolates on hand, but in the 30 years I've lived here, we haven't had one trick or treater.

Although I'm on a half acre, most of the lots are huge (50 acres or more) so the kids can't get to that many homes quickly.

And if no children show up awwwwww, We'll just have to eat the low carb chocolate ourselves.

As far as the holiday season goes, we've been low carb since Bob Atkins was alive and we've learned how to not indulge.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-21, 19:48

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

For crunchy salty, I've found raw cauliflower pieces, pepper strips, or zucchini chunks sprinkled with salt are so good and satisfying.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-21, 12:17

BF:

For crunchy, salty I do mixed nuts.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-21, 05:15

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But then, my compulsion is salty/crunchy, and that takes constant vigilance.

Hi, my problem is sugar and wheat. Still struggle after years on low carb.
You know the grocery store, bread isle? The smell of bread... sigh. And of course cakes, pies...I still want to eat them. My sister was always a fan of ice cream. Eh, I'd rather eat cake or pastries.

Pork rinds helps with the salty crunchy desire.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-21, 13:18

BF:

Quote:
The smell of bread... sigh. And of course cakes, pies...I still want to eat them.
IMHO, you wouldn't be human if you didn't.

Seems as though sugar--much more than other food cravings--sparks connections in the brain that bacon, say, or peanuts or asparagus (little joke) do not.

Learning to live happily without bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, and other "healthy carbohydrates" in regular food form helps some of us a lot. I'm sure that's much tougher for people who have partners or families who do not have a carbohydrate issue.

The Cookie Monster is real!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-21, 15:27

BF:

There are recipes for keto online cookies. My DW makes some from time to time. Granted they aren't quite as good as the best cookies with real sugar, but most of the recipes she tries are very, very good.

It's nice that we are both keto, so we can share.

Bob