Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/197/165 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Health without ketosis?

Although I'm nowhere near my goal, I've started to do something akin to maintenance for the next couple months. I plan to consume around 80-100 grams carbs, and be more careful with overall calories (cut back on unnecessary fats, for example).

I'm wondering about those of you who are in maintenance, who used to follow a ketogenic diet. Now that you are no longer in ketosis, have there been adverse effects on blood sugar, blood pressure, or cholesterol?

I had great improvements in those areas while in ketosis, am wondering if I'm jeopardizing my health by upping my carbs a bit.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 19:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nope. Everyone on Atkins, technically, should gradually increase their carbs. At some point, you're going to start being out of ketosis. This is okay. Many people maintain happily at 100 g carbs per day or more.

The health benefits that come from LCing - better blood sugar control, lowered BP, better lipid profile - aren't reliant on ketosis. Non-ketogenic plans work just as well for those health issues.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 13:16
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

In Atkins for Life, Dr. A talks about this. He states that as you stop being in ketosis, there may be some cravings come back and learning to deal with these and continue to eat well is part of the whole process.

In the beginning, when I was knocked out of ketosis, I found I got wicked cravings. But I really do think for many of us, we are able to reverse some of our insulin resistance. Now, many months later I am out of ketosis more frequently as I work on upping my carbs.

The cravings are way reduced, now. I don't seem to have as many problems as I used to. I was really afraid of this, but so far, so good.