Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 08:45

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

So, has anyone had any good rides lately? I went last Sunday and it was a truly gorgeous day! Makes me somewhat skeptical that we're still in the midst of winter - but living in Colorado, I know how quickly things can change.

The best part of my ride, though, was that I convinced my girlfriend - who hasn't been on a bike in nearly a decade - to join me. Even better, she LOVED it and is now BUYING A BIKE (2004 Fuji Thrill)! What can I say, sometimes life is good...

Here's a picture:

Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 10:55

Plan: Generic
Stats: 230/158.5/155 Male 71 inches
BF:32%/13%/10%
Progress: 95%
Lightbulb There's more like me?

OMG!! There are other crazy people out there that bike and low-carb like I do?

I just found these forums a couple of days ago and saw this thread, so I joined up just to start contributing here . It has been fantastic to read everyone's experiences -- sometimes I feel pretty alone in the biking community.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a very friendly biking community as well as a place to log miles, I would very highly recommend Bike Journal. It is a completely free site that allows you to track and journal your mileage, set goals and interact with others. We have a Century A Month club in its infancy, a couple of weight-loss challenges and a whole bunch of people that like to ride .

If there are any Denver/Boulder area LC bicyclists, feel free to e-mail or message me. I'd love to get together for a ride!

Last edited by ZenLC : Wed, Jan-26-05 at 11:38.
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:34

BF:

Hey Zen! That's great you're in the Denver area - I'd love to go for a ride sometime. I hear you about feeling lonely doing LC and cycling at times. I hang out quite a bit at www.bikeforums.net and www.cyclingforums.com and there are many anti-LC threads on there. For awhile I tried to talk sense to people, but most won't listen. Interestingly, there ARE other LC cyclists there as well - they just hide I guess.

Anyway, PM me anytime the weather is good and we'll see if we can't get a ride organized. Do you do road/mountain/both? Describe a "typical" ride for you - where do you like to go/how far?

For me - on the road - it's usually about 25 miles at between 15-18MPH. I do mountain also but it's still too muddy/icy to really enjoy any trails. Otherwise, I mostly ride in the southern end of town and enjoy the Platte River Trail, cruising around Chatfield Res and pretty much anywhere else that motorists don't see us as an opportunity for "points."
  #139   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:48

I've actually made a couple of converts on Bike Journal. I'm "coaching" them in a weight-loss competition with 3 others. Can't wait to see how it turns out .

Right now I'm strictly a roadie. I try to do 20 to 25 miles at lunch in the hills around Boulder during the week and on weekends I like to get in a longer ride, anywhere from 50 to 100 miles. My average speed is in the 17 mph range, depending on distance, training, mood and moon phase .

I ride with a couple of other folks that are in the Centennial/Aurora area and as a matter of fact last Saturday we did a century starting at Cherry Creek Reservoir and staying entirely on bike paths.

We have also started a "viritual" or online bike club for Front Range bicyclists who also belong to Bike Journal. We call ourselves Club Hypoxia - The fun stuff is on the Wiki page.
  #140   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 12:17

BF:

Sounds great! I'll be sure to look into all of the information above. I'm going to being training more regularly as the weather (hopefully) stays nice. I'm planning to do "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride" with Gypsy - as posted on page 9. I'd like to do the 100 mile option and that would make it my first century!
  #141   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 18:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 313/311/220 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hello LC bikers,

Glad to see some activity on here. I'm in Nebraska and the snow/salt/sand on the roads are making me go wall crazy. Congrats on getting your girlfriend out on a bicycle. There is truly a child in all of us to nuture and bicycles are great

I've looked at the bicycle journal site and will join when I can get out and ride.

I switched from a wonderful titanium road bile to a Volae Club recumbent this year. It is a great ride. I went and did the Hotter N Hell 100 (largest century ride) in Texas this past August and felt great on it.

I'm planning on riding Cycle Zydeco www.cyclezydeo.com in Lousiana at the end of March. The live Zydeco music every night along with cajun food everynight will blow my LC effort. But it is fun time.

Regarding your ride around Lake Tahoe. I've driven that road years ago and always dreamed about riding it. Do you know how steep the grades are? I can handle up to 11% then I truly have hell. Hopefully I'll drop some tonage and can do better.

Cheers to ya all.
Mack
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 19:32
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi everyone!
Glad to see some of us are getting some road time. I, being a winter wimp, am not. But I am entertaining the idea of getting rollers. Yes I'm suicidal as well.

ZenLC.... thanks for the link to BikeJournal. That's a cool website. I registered this afternoon. I'm going to check out the weightloss thread.

mack3212.... I don't know what the grades of the climbs are on the Tahoe ride. I looked throught the website again but all I can find is the elevation. I'll keep looking around and let you know if I find info. It's nice you're enjoying the recumbent... I've never ridden one... did you find it hard to get used to?

Carbs.... Like I said earlier that is a great picture and it is so cool that Amy bought a bike! I look forward to hitting trails with both of you when I get back to CO. (After the steak dinner followed by The Stampede of course )
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
... I am entertaining the idea of getting rollers. Yes I'm suicidal as well.

I just got a set of rollers and put them in an unused corner cubicle at work (for the view ). I was pretty scared the first time I used them but I picked it up very fast. Five minutes into it and I had the hang of it.

You'll do fine. There are 4 things you need to ride rollers:]

1) Relax the upper body & take weight off the bars.

2) Look at a point ahead of the bike (hence the windows).

3) Spin the wheels up fast. The faster they spin the more stable you'll be.

4) A good health insurance plan
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 20:28

Stats: 313/311/220 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
mack3212.... I don't know what the grades of the climbs are on the Tahoe ride. I looked throught the website again but all I can find is the elevation. I'll keep looking around and let you know if I find info. It's nice you're enjoying the recumbent... I've never ridden one... did you find it hard to get used to?

Thanx for trying to find the grades. I guess I could find a cycle shop in that area that would probably know.

The recumbent I bought took me about 200 - 400 miles to really get comfortable on. I'm about 2 mph faster on the flats and roller hills. Steep hills I"m slow because you have to spin the way up. But I can ride so much futher on this bike. Like I said I did a century (102 miles). Then I decided to ride back to the hotel which was another 12 miles.

I researched recumbents for years and when Bachetta and Volae brand came out, I found a recubment that I truly enjoy. Bachetta Florida based and has dealers around the country. Volae is from Hostel Shoppe (www.hostelshoppe.com) in Wisconsin and Waterford cycles makes the frame for them. Waterford is one of the finest custom frame builders in the country. Hostel Shoppe has a great 2 week return policy. I actually did a cross state ride during the first two weeks and they didn't care how far I rode the bike.

I could go on and on about the Volae. I have 4 other bikes gathering dust because I enjoy the Volae so much. I'm the only recumbent rider in my club and I can stay with the strongest riders now. If I drop much of my weight, I'll be leaving them.

When I did the century, I averaged 17.2 mph and that is from a heavy out of shape guy.

Oh well, I'm rambling. I can't wait for the good weather. We are forcasted snow this friday and saturday. Soon the riding weather will be here.

Cheers,
Mack
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 15:35
Circling...

BF:

ZenLC...LOL! I'll take the above into consideration! Especially the health insurance bit!!! I was anticipating a move to a warmer climate but things have come up that will prevent that. It turns out I will be staying in PA for an unknown amount of time. Sooooo..... rollers may be in my future. I really want to get on the bike right now. I think I need it and it's too damn cold and snowy. So it's rollers or a spinning class. Spinning might be safer. LOL.

Mack...interesting info on your recumbent. I've always looked at bents with amazement. I think I would tip over. But they're really cool looking as they drop me. LOL! It seems like they would work a whole different area of your muscles.

So since I am not moving I will be buying my road bike here in PA. I've looked into quite a few brands and have done a lot of research (on line) and need to go shopping. Any brand, style suggestions from anyone? Any advice? I want to try some WSD just because I never have. The mtb I ride is a compact frame. And I would like to try steel just to get the feel of it. There is a LBS that I visited once last year for some parts. They were very into correct sizing and fitting so I think I will start there. (Shirks Bike Shop) They're not fancy and not a chain. I liked the feel of them when I was in last year. There are also 2 other LBSs that I have dealt with that I would go back to.
I dread shopping for a bike... I hate the thought of receiving the attitude of "what do you know.... you're a fat chick who wants to buy a bike" that I've heard some bike shop employees tend to have towards people who are obviously not in cyclist condition or at pro level. Wish me luck.

Lastly as much as I wanted to ride Tahoe that may need to be postponed until next year. I don't know how much training riding I'll get in between now and then since I won't be moving to warmer climates and real life will be getting in the way. I may just stick to local rcreational rides come spring. I do plan on looking into some area biking clubs.

Anyway.... sorry longwinded today... just typing away as I think. LOL! Hope y'all are out putting miles on your bikes!

Gypsy
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 00:16

BF:

Hey Gypsy - sorry to hear things haven't worked out the way you'd hoped regarding the move. I'm glad to hear you're planning to proceed with the bike purchase though! As you and I have discussed, the only recommendations I'd make are that you stick with a good manufacturer (Bianchi, Specialized, Fuji, etc.) and get a decent component group (no less than Shimano 105). The difference between steel and aluminum will be your call, but whichever you decide, make sure it has a carbon fork - it'll save you from so much jarring!

It's great you've found some good shops to deal with. Any that treat you with attitude should be left far behind - that makes me angry and is the reason I won't deal with a certain chain of shops here.

As for Tahoe, I'm disappointed to hear you don't think you'll make it. I understand completely, however. I probably won't do it if you don't go so I'll be doing more rides around here I guess.

My GF gets her bike on Tuesday of this week and the weather looks like it might just cooperate for us to ride this weekend (I hope)! Hope everyone else is getting some rides in...
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 09:13

Plan: none
Stats: 145/140/140 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress:
Default ac joint injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
CarbsBeGon,

I was down, but not out! I was going down the ridge really fast behind my friend when he turned off the trail and went out-of-bounds on a trail that he knew. I, foolishly, followed him. At 30 MPH, I hit the first berm, my weight shifted forward and then I hit the second berm and was catapulted over the handle bars (DUMB!). All the impact was absorbed by my left shoulder (AC Joint) and the collerbone let loose of the shoulder-bone (seperated shoulder gr 3).

It's been 3 1/2 weeks, but I get back on the bike this weekend for the Surf City Century in Santa Cruz, CA. If all goes well with that, I'll be back on my new Kona mountain bike shortly after that. In the down time, I formed a team to ride '24 Hours of Adrenalin" next year in Monterey, CA.

I'm doing the Muddy Buddy on the 24th of Oct, 04, so I would love to hear about your experience!! I'll check your journal.

J.

Just wondering how your recovery went from your ac joint separation - i've just done that to myself avoiding an accident with a car - type III. Any tips for getting over it quickly?

Thx
Nic
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 00:10

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 212/180/155 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

This is my first post here - I was sent over by ZenLC from the bikejournal site. Sure hope to see some of you over there!

I wish I'd have found this site last year. I started riding in Sept/03, and I was losing weight pretty quickly using LC. I was told that my cycling would really suffer if I kept doing LC, and I did think I was losing some finishing power, so I quit. Well, in 2004 I cycled over 5000 miles, some of them pretty tough miles, and I never lost a single pound. Yup, finished 2004 at the same weight I was at the beginning of 2004. (Imagine where I'd be had I not been cycling!)

I've started racing a little this year, and still have over 20lbs to lose. I'm going to do it LC this year, and I'm going to get this last bunch of weight off. (Maybe I'll be able to be a real climber yet!) Sure is great to see that there's some LC cyclists around!!
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 10:27
Circling...

BF:

Hi Rob01... good luck on the 20 lbs. And good luck on the climbing.

So now that it's springtime here in PA and the weather is beautiful for biking I decided it was time to go bike shopping. Last summer I put slicks on my mtb and took it out on the road to see if I liked road cycling. Well it turns out I did. So I put the fat tires back on the mtb for good last fall and made the decision to buy a road bike.
After riding and re-riding and re-re riding a bunch of bikes... here's the one I chose. I picked it up on Thursday.... now the weather needs to get nice again so I can pile on the miles!
It's a CANNONDALE R700 TRIPLE. The components are Ultegra/105 and I think I'll be really happy with it!

#150   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 14:40

BF:

Hi Rob01 - welcome! As for the whole "your riding will suffer if you do low carb" thing, I think that's true if you're really racing and piling on 50+ miles. Indeed, I usually augment my carb amount by 20-30 carbs when I'm riding longer distances. I do this in the form of Accelerade (www.accelerade.com) mixed into one of my water bottles. It has protein as well as some carbs so it works great for me and I continue to lose when I use it. The best thing to do is just experiment - see how many carbs you need to prevent a bonk and how many you can add in and still stay in ketosis. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Gypsy - as I said in your journal - that's NICE! I look forward to hearing about your rides and you should get somebody (Time? ) to take some pics of you riding!