Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 07:47

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default cholesterol and lab results

Cholesterol 271 mg/dL (90-200)
HDL Cholesterol 86 mg (>40-)
LDL-C 171 mg/dL (0-100)

Everything else was in range.

I had these test results after a Meat and Egg diet. However, I had high test results this summer also, after a lower carb (about 12 net a day) which did include vegetables (spinach).

My doctor said he will take results again in about 4 months and then if they are still high, will give me Lipitor.

Of course, he wants me to have a low fat diet.

Any thoughts?

I thought I read somewhere that cholesterol is only about 10% diet, with other factors contribtuting to cholesterol levels (stress-related, genetic, etc.)

I hav been under lots of stress lately.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

i was under lots of stress early in 2006, total cholesterol came in at 120mg/dl. mabey 90% diet.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
i was under lots of stress early in 2006, total cholesterol came in at 120mg/dl. mabey 90% diet.

I don't understand. The stress dropped you cholesterol to an unhealthy 120mg/dl? Was it in the normal healthy range before the stress?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

With numbers like yours, I personally wouldn't do a thing.

Do you have known heart disease?

Personally I'm not a believer in the lipid hypothesis, too many holes in it for my liking.

I am also against statins (lipitor et all) except for very few people. If you do choose to go on a statin, be sure to read up on it and take CoQ10. And be aware of the potential side effects (and also that your doc may not believe you if you develop one).

This article might be of interest: http://www.drbriffa.com/blog look for his post about cholesterol meds and their effectiveness. (his site must be down right now as none of my links will go thru!!)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:48

BF:
Default cholesterol - stress mostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
With numbers like yours, I personally wouldn't do a thing.

Do you have known heart disease?

Personally I'm not a believer in the lipid hypothesis, too many holes in it for my liking.

I am also against statins (lipitor et all) except for very few people. If you do choose to go on a statin, be sure to read up on it and take CoQ10. And be aware of the potential side effects (and also that your doc may not believe you if you develop one).

This article might be of interest: http://www.drbriffa.com/blog look for his post about cholesterol meds and their effectiveness. (his site must be down right now as none of my links will go thru!!)

No heart disease.

I did have testing done about five years ago and the results were terrific.

So, have you also heard that cholesterol is only about 10% dietary?

I am not going on the diet my doctor recommended.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 12:49

BF:
Default post

Quote:

I'm sorry I didn't understand your post. Your cholesterol was 120 when you were under stress?

You believe cholesterol is 90% diet?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 13:05

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

Not much help to you since I'm trying to figure mine out! Sorry... Last month I had mine done and my doctor gave approval for me to try dieting and getting my levels in good shape before adding any meds. Praying to see good results when I go back for re-testing. Heart problems run big time in my family!

Chol. 263
HDL 53
Triglyceride 111
LDL 187.8

I know mine are out of range so hopefully what I'm doing now will help.

Cissie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant
I don't understand. The stress dropped you cholesterol to an unhealthy 120mg/dl? Was it in the normal healthy range before the stress?

My cholesterol pre-cr was 128mg/dl then went to 120mg/dl then to 109mg/dl. when it was at 120mg my TRIGLYCERIDES was at 35mg/dl (tg's more important I think)

I had stress because of factors unrelated with cholesterol. When I got stressed it was because of a few important exams (one in particular had a 90% failure rate for previous students), a close family member died, I also had no job and little money. Now feeling very good again as I have a job, and college is nice and easy.

No stress didn't drop my cholesterol to a healthy 120mg. It was CR of course.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Tue, Jan-30-07 at 14:37.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:12

BF:
Default Thanks for clarifying

Quote:
My cholesterol pre-cr was 128mg/dl then went to 120mg/dl then to 109mg/dl. I had stress because of factors unrelated with cholesterol.

When I got stressed it was because of a few important exams (one in particular had a 90% failure rate for previous students), a close family member to died, I also had no job and little money. Now feeling very good again as I have a job, and college is nice and easy.

No stress didn't drop my cholesterol to a healthy 120mg. It was CR of course.

So you attribute it to caloric restriction.

What do you think about cholesterol being mostly attributed to stress and other factors, rather than diet? Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:13

BF:
Default Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissie_12
Not much help to you since I'm trying to figure mine out! Sorry... Last month I had mine done and my doctor gave approval for me to try dieting and getting my levels in good shape before adding any meds. Praying to see good results when I go back for re-testing. Heart problems run big time in my family!

Chol. 263
HDL 53
Triglyceride 111
LDL 187.8

I know mine are out of range so hopefully what I'm doing now will help.

Cissie

to you. Sounds like you have a good plan, to lower it before meds.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
So you attribute it to caloric restriction.

Yes of course. I sent you a link to a study showing why I say that (PM). Biosphere two when the males ate 1750k/calories their cholesterol went from 190-210mg/dl to 90-130mg/dl within months. It's really not a complicated thing to understand that calories are important in levels of glucose, insulin, cholesterol, and whatever other biomarker you want to choose. If I want my cholsterol to rise, all I have to do is eat a bit more... Very simple to adjust things.

Quote:
What do you think about cholesterol being mostly attributed to stress and other factors, rather than diet? Thanks.

I think that people who are stressed, anxious and depression can lead people eat less and have lower cholesterol (appetite supression), but it can also cause the opposite and someone will have high cholesterol. eating patterns change under stress and there will always be conflicting reports on this because everyones different and react in a different way.

To help with stress btw I found that the most important factors I've found in mental health are Vitamin D and Omega 3 and having lots of good friends. Also not being bored, waking up with something to do for the day.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 15:08
Registered Member

The all-cause mortality curve for blood cholesterol is "U" shaped for men with the optimal cholesterol around 200 mg/dl. The mortality for someone with a cholesterol around 120 mg/dl would be the same as someone around 300 mg/dl. Also, low cholesterol below 160 mg/dl have been associated with various mental impairement and disease including depression, violence, delayed recall and reaction time, memory impairment, impotency, etc.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 17:18
Registered Member

I aint ever had depression or ever been violent. Can't really say about reaction times. But my memory has actually improved (I think because of the fish oil). I'm getting A's and B's now... whereas before I used to get around an E for most subjects.

We know that the average CRer has an IQ of 125 well above average.

Not really convinced that low cholesterol = higher mortality because of the low cholesterol itself. I know that disease causes low cholesterol. But then a healthy diet also does the same.

In a healthy person eating a healthy diet I don't think a drop in cholesterol is bad. IN a person eating a SAD and then see their cholesterol drop significantly over a period of time... then worry.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 19:12
Registered Member

Quote:
I aint ever had depression or ever been violent. Can't really say about reaction times. But my memory has actually improved (I think because of the fish oil). I'm getting A's and B's now... whereas before I used to get around an E for most subjects.

The research on the subject is quite clear and you acknowledged it in another thread. Maybe you should publish a paper on yourself and prove them all wrong? (I want to add 'martyr complex' to the list of malfunctions...)But clearly, those of us that don't posses your fantastical vitality, potency and clear headedness should keep our cholesterol numbers out of the basement for the sake of our hearts, minds and virility.

Quote:
We know that the average CRer has an IQ of 125 well above average.

We know that the average serial killer has a higher than normal IQ as well.

Quote:
Not really convinced that low cholesterol = higher mortality because of the low cholesterol itself. I know that disease causes low cholesterol. But then a healthy diet also does the same.

In a healthy person eating a healthy diet I don't think a drop in cholesterol is bad. IN a person eating a SAD and then see their cholesterol drop significantly over a period of time... then worry.

Besides proclaiming your personal incredulity, can you back ANY of that up or you just waving the CR banner again? How can a diet that drops cholesterol and as a result testosterone to levels that induces impotence and blocks sexual maturity be a healthy diet?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 22:48

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena11
No heart disease.

I did have testing done about five years ago and the results were terrific.

So, have you also heard that cholesterol is only about 10% dietary?

I am not going on the diet my doctor recommended.

Your results are terrific now!!!

If you have no heart disease there is nothing that statins can do to help prevent it. Even with heart disease the great majority see little or no effect. They DO see drops in lipids, but they don't see much difference in the incidence of future heart attack (or stroke)

On the other hand, low cholesterol results in weak and fragile blood vessels, which many think can contribute to hemorrhagic stroke (blood vessel breaks open, not clot up).

Personally I haven't read anything that convinces me that cholesterol is just an innocent bystander in heart disease. I believe it's either inflammation or oxidation that starts the whole process and cholesterol is actually trying to repair the damage.

Dietary intake of cholesterol MAY contribute to as much as 10% of your blood levels, (I've heard closer to 5-6%), but even if you eat NO cholesterol your body is more than capable of making what you need.....unless of course you stop the body from producing it, which is what statins do.

Virtually every cell in your body requires cholesterol. Many hormones, including like Mutant said sex hormones, are dependent on cholesterol.

In my opinion your total cholesterol should be between 160 and 350 (pre-statin levels). Your HDL should be high, the higher the better. Triglycerides should be low, and are directly related to the amount of carbohydrates you eat.

If your cholesterol level is too high, as in over 350, you should determine why and treat that, not just lower the cholesterol levels. That's as smart a move as treating an infection by only lowering the fever. It won't cure the infection, and can actually make things worse, but the patient will feel better....at least for a while.