Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Cholesterol went higher--Help!

I am new here and I need help. I have only been on Atkins for a little over 2 months--but I had my Cholesterol checked last week and got back a bad report. All of my numbers were high. My total Cholesterol was over 300 and my Tri were 161. I have been totally legal on Atkins with the exception of Christmas Day and my Mothers Birthday- I had a piece of cake. Otherwise, I have not cheated. Why are my numbers going up??? I am worried. My doctor is not real happy about me going on Atkins-- but since I have lost over 20 pounds now- he does see the favorable results. I do eat eggs several times a week for breakfast. Is this what I am doing wrong? I have also used whipping cream in a dessert I made from the Atkins book. There was no carbs in it-- but would that jump up my cholesterol? Please advise-- I am a little green about all of this. I want to stay legal- but maybe I am doing something wrong. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:34

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

What were your numbers before you went on Atkins? What was your HDL before and after?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:57

BF:

My LDL was 158 last year and it was 226 this past week
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:18
Registered Member

Stats: 170/131/105 Female 5' 2
BF:
Progress: 60%

I have read that after starting LCing it can go up and then after leveling out goes down and keeps going down. That is what happened to me. Now my good Cholesterol is way up there. Get it checked again in 3 months and see how it is then.

Try not eating so much bacon if you are doing that and see if it helps. Some ppl on LCing just cannot eat like everyone else. I know I had to cut down the ham and bacon and sausage. I eat more low fat meat.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:20
Registered Member

Stats: 170/131/105 Female 5' 2
BF:
Progress: 60%

Also one more thing QuiltLady, having a journal is one thing you can do to help see what you are eating and so we can come visit you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:33

BF:

Thank you so much for your help. I do tend to eat ham more often than I probably should. I really like Atkins and I want to stay on it---I need to convince the Doctor that I can get my chol numbers down.
And22, you helped me to feel better about forging ahead with the diet. Thanks again!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:39
Registered Member

Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

HAve you ever had a baseline done on your thyroid function? If you have low thyroid, your cholesterol will be higher. Once treated, the #s will go down. Ask your Doc to do this test if she hasn't already.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:47

BF:

Hi Puggy! I had a thyroid function test done last week also ---and it was ok. I used to take Zocor but had to get off because of it causing muscle weakness in my body. The cholesterol stayed in the normal range while I took the meds- but right now I can't take it. I was concerned that Atkins may be making it higher.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 08:28

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quiltlady,

Without ALL the pieces of the cholesterol puzzle (total, HDL, LDL, tris--all these numbers!), it's impossible to assess what your ratios are. And it's true that Atkins DOES tend to "churn up" the fat and cause the numbers to "spike", initially. Bute evenutally (over several months, or even a few years), they DO go down. My guess would be that the statins are still skewing your results. And unless you have other markers for heart disease (blood pressure, family history, smoking), you really SHOULDN'T be taking statins. The risks and dangers FAR outweigh the benefits.

Also, how do you KNOW you don't have thyroid issues? Did you have a FULL thyroid panel performed (TSH, FT3, FT4), or were you given a "clean bill of health" based solely on your TSH numbers? If your MD has actually been following the research lately on thryoid, he/she would know that TSH ALONE is not a very accurate picture of thyroid health.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:48

BF:

I got all of my numbers today on the cholesterol tests.
Total: 321
LDL: 226
Tri: 161
HDL: 62

I did not have a full thyroid function test, but I had the basics. They were ok. Last August I had a full panel of Thyroid function tests-- and they were also ok.
I take high blood pressure medicine--but it is controlled and I never run high while on the meds.
I feel really good, but I want the chol #'s to go down-- as my family has a high rate of heart disease.
I am hoping what some of you have mentioned--- that it will go down after I am on the diet for a while--will work for me also.
Thanks for all of your help.
Any advice will be most appreciated.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:54

BF:

I drink about 2 cups of coffee every day. I don't use the De-caf-- just regular in the mornings. Would this be messing up my diet or cholesterol? I know others have said you shouln't have coffee on Atkins-- but I need a little to keep going early in the morning before work.
Any thoughts?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I would wait until you have been on the diet for 6 months before having another test. Cholesterol tends to go up for, some individuals, before going down.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I would wait until you have been on the diet for 6 months before having another test. Cholesterol tends to go up for, some individuals, before going down.

I can testify to that one. My total and LDL both went up the first 6 months on low carb, then took a nosedive the next 6 months and have continued to stay down over the next two years.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 22:43

BF:

I really appreciate all of your help. I will continue to move forward on Atkins. I will plan to take another cholesterol test in six months. Thanks Lisa for your personal experience--that made me feel better. I think because I have always been taught that we should all eat "low fat" for our hearts sake---that it is hard for me to switch my thinking with Atkins. I know Atkins has helped me lose weight. I just need to stick with it now. It really helps to be able to talk to you all on this board.
Thanks again!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 23:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltlady
I drink about 2 cups of coffee every day. I don't use the De-caf-- just regular in the mornings. Would this be messing up my diet or cholesterol? I know others have said you shouln't have coffee on Atkins-- but I need a little to keep going early in the morning before work.
Any thoughts?

Is your coffee drip brewed? The French Press type of coffee that doesn't pass through a paper filter has been shown to raise cholesterol. But other than that, it shouldn't hurt anything.