Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 14:49
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think you'll see that the thing you SHOULD be concerned about is your LP-a cholesterol, your HDL and your Triglycerides (TG),

Most doctors have been saying that for years.

For example, Dr Atkins, Vita Nutrient Solutions, 1999, page 332 the good doctor states

Quote:
High triglycerides and low HDL levels are the two lipid abnormalities that are clearly and unequivocally linked both to insulin resistance and to the intake of carbohydrates. People who are resistant to insulin should avoid excess carbohydrates or even "average" levels of carbohydrates, because their body chemistry turns the carbohydrates into triglycerides, which in turn seem to inhibit the formation of HDL, or the "good" cholesterol. The Atkins Center experience is that people whose triglyceride levels are more than double their HDL levels (in mg/ml) do better on carbohydrate restriction ...

He then goes on to talk about how to use supplements to improve your blood profiles.

Dr Atkins often said that the simpliest predictor of your health was your HDL / triglycerides ratio - since it is given on most blood tests today.

Regarding High Lipoprotein (a)
Quote:
This protein, to which lipids attach, is a risk factor for heart disease with great predicitive ability.

He then lists supplements for that as well.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Cajunboy, have you read this? http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/s...ortune%20teller

This cardiologist says that cholesterol readings, as they're currently done, are pretty much worthless. At least the LDL number is. The HDL and triglyceride numbers are not worthless.

Read this guys blog and I think you'll see that the thing you SHOULD be concerned about is your LP-a cholesterol, your HDL and your Triglycerides (TG), and of course, the actual status of your arteries.

I just think that fussing over LDL numbers is a waste of time and energy.

I spent the evening reading this guys entire blog. I don't agree with him on everything but I think he's headed in the right direction.

hey nancy, thanks for the link will read today

See the following:

Caloric restriction lowers plasma lipoprotein (a) in male but not female rhesus monkeys.

Department of Pathology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, 27157-1047, North Carolina, NC, USA

Many age-associated pathophysiological changes are retarded by caloric restriction (CR). The present study has investigated the effect of CR on plasma lipoprotein (a) [Lp(a)], an independent risk factor for the age-associated process of atherosclerosis. Rhesus monkeys were fed a control diet (n=19 males, 12 females) or subjected to CR (n=20 males, 11 females fed 30% less calories) for >2 years. All female animals were premenopausal. Plasma Lp(a) levels in control animals were almost two fold higher for males than females (47+/-9 vs 25+/-5mg/dl mean+/-SEM, p=0.05). CR resulted in a reduction in circulating Lp(a) in males to levels similar to those measured in calorie-restricted females, (27+/-5 vs 24+/-4 mg/dl mean+/-SEM). For all animals, plasma Lp(a) was correlated with total cholesterol (r=0.27, p=0.03) and LDL cholesterol (r=0.50, p=0.0001) whether unadjusted or after adjustment for treatment, gender or group. These studies introduce a new mechanism whereby CR may have a beneficial effect on risk factors for the development of atherosclerosis in primates.

PMID: 11602214 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Dec-13-06 at 15:09.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 15:14
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Whoa - what supplements did they give them in addition to diet?
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 16:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The heartscan doctor says that high LP-a will make HDL useless! I thought that was really interesting. Now I want to get my LP-a tested. He had an example of a woman with great HDL, low LDL but high LP-a. Her HDL thingies were all warped and useless because of the LP-a and her heartscans were getting worse.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-13-06, 17:40

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

To Whoa182: I ran all of your "excellent test results" by my doctor and in his opinion, he says it undoubtedly means you're still a virgin. Hey, he said it!!! I thought I would just share that experience with you............

This is a quote from Barry Groves, PhD, author of "Eat Fat, Get Thin":

"Obesity is also noticeably absent in primitive human cultures. The only animal to get fat is ‘civilized’ Man and his pets. And that is highly significant. The reason cannot be genetic or hereditary, as some argue. If it were, obesity would have plagued us for generations. "

So, we are not genetically pre-disposed to having high cholesterol levels. "We are what we eat" would be the more acurate description of how we get high cholesterol. It is dietary and perhaps in combination with a sedintary lifestyle.

Also, Groves says that high cholesterol is not an idicator of cardiovascular problems.

There is a saying about carbs: "A minute in your mouth, a month on your hips." ...... maybe it should be: "A minute in your mouth, a month in your arteries"

I would like to make a comment, don't mean to offend anyone. I am sure most of you have at one time or another experienced those "fwd:" emails from friends with their endless jokes and humorous or religious stories." For me it got to the point, I don't open "fwd:" emails any longer.

I know from time to time, on this forum, we all quote a source, but when it is reprinted and a link here and another link there, it becomes like those emails I don't open...... I know how to look up stuff on the internet, but my objective is to read about other people's experiences. I could easily post 500 links showing cholesterol research, etc....... geeshh!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-06, 00:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/185/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I know I am new to this board, but not low to LC and a reader and sometime participant of the Protein Power board run by the Drs. Eades. And when the Framingham Study is closely looked at, it has been shown to be interpreted quite different than being quoted here Real Infor from Framingham
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-06, 05:28
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
The heartscan doctor says that high LP-a will make HDL useless! I thought that was really interesting. Now I want to get my LP-a tested. He had an example of a woman with great HDL, low LDL but high LP-a. Her HDL thingies were all warped and useless because of the LP-a and her heartscans were getting worse.

In most cases, simple vitamins (i.e. giving your body the proper nutrition) will fix those problems. But I'm sure doctors have some fancy prescription drug for LP-a.

Life Extension Foundation (www.lef.org) can order those blood tests (and more tests) for you easily. You simply pay them the money and then they send you a document that you take to the place that draws blood. Then a couple of weeks later - they mail you the results.

I used LabCorp to have my blood drawn. To see locations (there are several locations around me)

http://www.labcorp.com/psc/index.html

Here are the blood tests:

http://www.lef.org/newshop/cgi-shop...cgi?catid=23000

To buy them seperately costs a lot - but the packages also cost a lot. Around March-April-May of each year they have a big sale where I think it is like $50 to $100 off. So you may want to wait until then.

You can also call them to figure out the best plan of attack.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-06, 05:32
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridabunny
I know I am new to this board, but not low to LC and a reader and sometime participant of the Protein Power board run by the Drs. Eades. And when the Framingham Study is closely looked at, it has been shown to be interpreted quite different than being quoted here Real Infor from Framingham

Quote:
Cholesterol does not cause heart disease. Cholesterol is the thing that heart disease acts upon. The disease is the oxidation in your blood vessel that causes the cholesterol to form inflammatory plaques.

Please see

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=317913