Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 19:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question Need Recipes for Ice Cream

Just bought a Cusiinart Ice cream Maker, now I need Low Carb Recipes.

Can anyone help???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 03:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Ice Cream

Louloo take a moment to read through this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=6730

Bonnie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 23:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/135/125
BF:37%/35%/25%
Progress: 64%
Default Need Recipes for Ice Cream

You are in luck. I just bought the Deni Ice Cream Machine and successfully used a variaiton of Atkins recipe.

Vanilla Ice Cream
5 egg yolks
3 t vanilla extract
8 t Splenda (or 4 pkt of either sweet'nlow or nutrasweet)
1/4 cup water
2 cups heavy cream

Blend everything together and refrigerate over night. You want your mixture to be cold when you add it to your ice cream machine.

My first try did freeze way too fast and jammed the ice cream machine blades, however, I reblended my ingredients and reused them "after" I rinsed out the canister with cold water to eliminate the "instant freeze" effect.

Good luch.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 17:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Quick Icecream treat

For a quick icecream treat I mix 1/4 cup of frozen rasberries,strawberries or blueberries and add 1/4 cup of whipping cream unwhipped. Add to taste splenda. I just throw it all in a cup and the whipping cream turns to icecream from the frozen berries.Yum Yum! Sometimes I go overboard and eat to much though.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Low carb ice cream sounds great, but what bothers me about the recipes are the uncooked eggs. I dont trust them not to lead to salmonela posioning. Does any one have a good one using cooked eggs or custurd style ice cream? The berries and cream sounds good in the mean time.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 17:39

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

That concerned me also so I've been using Egg substitutes. The problem is, when you freeze it, it forms ice crystals. I am going to try the ones where you cook the eggs first and I think that will give it a creamier texture and prevent ice forming (I hope!) In the meantime, you might enjoy these:

Butter Pecan Ice Cream
2 eggs (egg substitute equiv.)
3/4 c Pecans; chopped, toasted
2 tb Butter or margarine; melted
1 ts Maple flavoring
1 c Half & half
1 c Whipping cream
3/4 cup Spenda

In large bowl, combine eggs, splenda, pecans, butter and maple; mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Pumpkin Ice Cream
2 eggs (egg substitute equiv.)
3/4 cup splenda
1 1/2 cups cream
1 ¾ cups half n half
3/4 cup pumpkin, cooked, pureed
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon

1) Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the splenda, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.
2) Pour about 1 cup of the cream base into another bowl, add the pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and stir until blended. Return the pumpkin mixture to the remaining cream base and blend.
3) Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions. Makes a generous 1 quart. Notes: This would make a delicious ice cream pie

Peach Ice Cream
Our favorite way to use those fabulous summer peaches! This guilt-free, high protein ice cream recipe will fool everyone. It's delightfully creamy and easy to make. Perfect for today's small kitchen ice cream makers, the recipe makes 1-1/2 quarts. If you have a larger ice cream maker, just increase the recipe as needed.

½ cup heavy cream
12 ounces (1 ½ cups) firm silken tofu
1 ½ cups half n half
3/4 cup Splenda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 ½ cups fresh, ripe peaches, diced (about 2-3 peaches)

Place all ingredients except peaches in a blender or food processor and blend until combined. Freeze according to directions of ice cream freezer manufacturer. Just before the ice cream is frozen, while it is still slushy, pour in the peaches and continue freezing until firm.
Makes 1 ½ quarts, about 10 (½ cup) servings.
1 serving: fat: 6g., total carb: 5g., fiber: 1g., protein: 4g

And one last note:

The Sacred Ice Cream Secret
This is for a three-quart freezer: Basically, beat three jumbo eggs well. In a separate bowl apply The Sacred Ice Cream Secret. That is, whip 1 quart heavy cream until it's thickened to about the consistency of thin cake batter. It should almost double in volume.

Stir in the eggs and sweeten and flavour to taste. Make sure you make it very sweet as it will taste much less sweet when frozen. Use only a pinch of salt.

The whipping is the trick. It's what makes ice cream smooth and creamy. It also stretches the cream and allows you to use less sweeteners and flavours. Don't forget to whip it! Also, don't fill the freezer drum more than 2/3 full or it will leak out when the cream freezes and expands. Refrigerate any leftover mix for later and reduce the next recipe depending on the size of your freezer.

I usually make French Vanilla by adding three extra egg yolks. For other flavours omit the extra yolks. Sweeten to taste two cups of strawberries the day before and let them sit in the fridge over night. Crush two cups blue or other berries, simmer until tender, sweeten to taste and chill overnight. (MMMM.... raspberry ice cream!) Do the same with diced peaches.

Ice cream is a great way to fill that fruit craving without eating just fruit. Two cups of peaches in half a gallon+ of ice cream is still a bargain per serving.

You'll have to do the carb counts yourself on some of these. ENJOY!!!

Marcia
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 10:02

Plan: yeap
Stats: 200/200/300 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

xD u made me drool