Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 18:46

Plan: low carb luxury
Stats: 285/285/155 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:
Default fibromyalgia

How Can I Get My Doctor(s) To Listen To Me About This Condiion. I Am A Diabetic Also But I Know The Differences Between The Types Of Pains From Nerve Damage And What I Have Experienced With The Fibro. In The Past. I Haven't Blown Up Like The Philsbury Dough Girl Since 2000 After My GrandMOTHER'S Funeral. But I Do Have Problems When It Comes To Walking For A Long Time, Sitting To Long, Writing To Long, Doing Arts And Crafts To Long Or Staying In Bed To Long. If I Get Upset In Any Way I Really Start To Have Major Problems Then My Whole Body Goes To Hell After That.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 20:44

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

You need to find a new doctor. Many doctors don't even believe in fibro. I suggest you go to either a homeopathic MD or a rheumatologist.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Go to your local or online FM support group and ask for recommendations from them. It's disheartening to go to doctor after doctor *knowing* that something is terribly wrong and all telling that nothing is wrong.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 17:43

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%

I would also add to what the others have mentioned to you is to keep a subjective pain level chart discribing the pain..give it a number like 0-10 Example 0= no pain 10=non functional and bedrest. And describe the pain as accurate as you can such as burning, sharp and stabbing and how long you can do what ever you are doing until you must rest.
BTW I am diabetic too but had FMS prior to the diabetes.
Describe what you can and can't do. I am fortunate that my doc does believe in FMS and after I brought her MY subjective pain chart I got the medication I needed for relief as she was horrified with the amount of pain I was dealing with.
Good luck to you and if you need help setting one up drop in and visit me...we FMSers need to stick together.
Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am a Chiropractor who also deals in nutrition (Actually it has grown to become over 1/2 my practice. I've helped hundreds of people get out of pain from Fibromyalgia.

Forget the rheumatologist and MD's. All they are going to do is load you up with drugs which will make you fell better for a short time and then will feel worse than you did before beginning to take the pills.

If you can find one, go to a nutritionist or a Chiropractor who also does nutrition. It is essential that they do hair mineral analysis testing and saliva testing. Make sure they use WHOLE FOOD nutritional supplements. If you find someone who can figure out the underlying cause of your problem and correct it, the symptoms will go away.

I hate the term "Fibromyalgia" because it tells you absolutely nothing. The word literally means pain in the muscle and soft tissue fibers of the body. So what happens is you go to an MD, they run blood tests, urinalysis, etc... Nothing comes out positive so they diagnose Fibromyalgia. You tell them you have pain all over and they tell you back in another language "yes you do."

It is not like a diagnosis of Diabetes where it is either that your body is not producing sufficient insulin or that your insulin is not opening the cells properly. It is always one of those two things.

With "Fibromyalgia," there are literally hundreds of things that could be going on. So you must have a health care provider willing to peel back all the layers to get to the underlying cause.

It really is not all that difficult to figure out... if you know where all to look.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 21:10

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

WOW KajunDC

That makes me think! I know I have like a zillion different symptoms at a zillion different times and it is so hard to describe to anyone cause it is always changing. But, sugar buzzes, adrenal exhaustion, anxiety attacks, full body pain and severe weakness is a constant.

I will consider what you said. I am suppose to go to a endo. I have had this for 5 years now. I want off the pain pills and everything else. Problem is I live in a backwoods town where doctors are focusing more on pushing us through then getting us better.

I will research what you said, however.

Thank you for your expert information
Jimsbride
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 18:15

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I began taking msm and malic acid for fibromyalgia and that helped a lot. Even if your doctors did believe you they would just give you some expensive prescription that won't help a lot or give your body what it needs anyway. Also, another thing that helps is dmso. I buy it in lotion and rub it on my sore muscles and that seems to help after a few hours.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 13:30

Plan: carbo hydrate addict
Stats: 220/220/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default leanmachin

hi, I have had soft tissue pain for years. Joints ok no problems. Overweight yes but active. Followed my mother's suggestion and this works. Cider vinegar with organic honey in warm water first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Sometimes the pain in the morning before rising was unbearable....not so bad if I kept moving. Sitting, standing were painful....also lying in bed ~ soft furniture also made worse. hard chairs were ok. The cider vinegar works!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 02:27

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 232/194.0/130 Female 66 inches
BF: yes, it is!
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC
I am a Chiropractor who also deals in nutrition (Actually it has grown to become over 1/2 my practice. I've helped hundreds of people get out of pain from Fibromyalgia.

Forget the rheumatologist and MD's. All they are going to do is load you up with drugs which will make you fell better for a short time and then will feel worse than you did before beginning to take the pills.

If you can find one, go to a nutritionist or a Chiropractor who also does nutrition. It is essential that they do hair mineral analysis testing and saliva testing. Make sure they use WHOLE FOOD nutritional supplements. If you find someone who can figure out the underlying cause of your problem and correct it, the symptoms will go away.

I hate the term "Fibromyalgia" because it tells you absolutely nothing. The word literally means pain in the muscle and soft tissue fibers of the body. So what happens is you go to an MD, they run blood tests, urinalysis, etc... Nothing comes out positive so they diagnose Fibromyalgia. You tell them you have pain all over and they tell you back in another language "yes you do."

It is not like a diagnosis of Diabetes where it is either that your body is not producing sufficient insulin or that your insulin is not opening the cells properly. It is always one of those two things.

With "Fibromyalgia," there are literally hundreds of things that could be going on. So you must have a health care provider willing to peel back all the layers to get to the underlying cause.

It really is not all that difficult to figure out... if you know where all to look.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way.
But I am really surprised to see a practitioner advising people whether or not to see a doctor or what course of action to take without actually examining them first.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 02:42

Plan: carbo hydrate addict
Stats: 220/220/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

hi re malic acid....does this equate with Cider vinegar....I think it does....so there is some substance to mother's theory!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-05, 12:13

Plan: south beach
Stats: // Female ss
BF:
Progress:
Default dmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by burchets
I began taking msm and malic acid for fibromyalgia and that helped a lot. Even if your doctors did believe you they would just give you some expensive prescription that won't help a lot or give your body what it needs anyway. Also, another thing that helps is dmso. I buy it in lotion and rub it on my sore muscles and that seems to help after a few hours.

Can you please tell me where to buy dmso I would like to try it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 05:57

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default dmso

I buy it at Warren Nutrition in Grand Rapids, MI. They also have a mail order service. It is 16.00 for a jar, which lasts a few months. You can also buy it online through several different companies. It has a rose scent that is added to it. Just type DMSO into your search engine and it should pop up.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 13:36

Plan: south beach
Stats: // Female ss
BF:
Progress:

thank you burchets for the info. I will look online for it. I live on the east coast so I know I won't be Mi. Thanks again