Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 00:19

Plan: Haven't decided yet
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress:
Question G.I. a big or small factor?

How big an emphasis do you place on the Glycemic Index of the carbs that you eat in your low-carb diet?
I am reading 'Protein Power' and they seem to lump all carb foods together, but I don't believe 50g carbs of rocky road would affect the body the same way 50g carbs of brown rice would!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 00:44

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Good question. I haven't really looked at the G.I. lists all that much, so I can't help you there. I do cook with carrots for their nutrients, and I believe they are fairly low on the G.I. scale. Which do you feel is better between the ice cream or rice?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 01:01

BF:
Progress:

Definitely rice is better!! It's a complex carb so will be taken up more slowly and won't cause a big/quick spike in insulin like ice cream and lollies would. Hence, I can't see why the book would say 'all carbs are the same'.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 07:12

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Because for books/people who are anti-carb, they are all the same. The reaction time may be different, but you are still ingesting X grams of carbs a day. Plus, there is a supposed connection between Fibro and grains...all grains...so for a person with fibro, they may get less of a flare reaction ingesting the icecream.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 10:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Rice is rapidly broken down in the digestive tract, and rapidly absorbed. It has a high glycemic rating, causing blood sugar spikes. Brown rice has a GI of 87. White rice is 109 ... higher than white sugar!

Ice cream is low because the fat content slows its absorption. Average GI of ice cream is 50 ... with premium brands being lower due to their fat content, "light" or fat-free are higher.

1 cup cooked brown rice = 45g carbs, 3g fiber
1 cup premium vanilla ice cream = 48g carbs, 0 fiber

Not suggesting anyone should have more ice cream though. Quietone is right, 50g of carbs is 50g of carbs. Whether they spike your blood sugar quickly or absorbed more slowly, they still have to be processed in the liver and will ultimately be stored as fat by the action of insulin. For 50g of carbs spread over the day, I could have a variety of yummy veggies with butter, salads with good olive oil, and a bowlful of ripe berries crowned with real whipped cream

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 00:27

BF:
Progress:

Doreen, I see in the examples of what carbs you have during the day you combine some type of fat with your carbs. I'm assuming for the slower absorbtion, as you mentioned?
Do you do any other food combining in your diet?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 11:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbrolet
Doreen, I see in the examples of what carbs you have during the day you combine some type of fat with your carbs. I'm assuming for the slower absorbtion, as you mentioned?
Do you do any other food combining in your diet?

hi there,

Quite simply, I use fat on my veggies because it tastes good . Fat provides satiety, and is a good source of carb-free caloric energy.

I practised food combining many years ago, and yes, it helped relieve some digestive problems <burp!>. However, with low-carbing I rarely eat grains or starches any more, so don't pay particular attention to how foods are combined. The only thing I make sure to have some protein at every meal or snack.

Food-combining has you keep proteins and starches separate, with fruit consumed alone. Vegetables, fats and fermented milk products (yogourt, kefir) are considered "neutral" and may be consumed with either starch or protein. I *think* there are a few lower-carb programs that incorporate food combining principles ... Montignac and Suzanne Somers spring to mind.

hth,

Doreen