Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-01, 12:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Off Topic - Sewing for Plus Sizes

Anybody else out there who likes to sew? I have a hard time finding ready-made clothes that fit well and don't look sloppy because they sag, bind or pull at all the wrong places. Even when I've been at goal weight in the past, I could NEVER get pants that fit right. Or shirts with the midriff section way too big, and the armholes and sleeves so skinny you can hardly bend your elbows! ..

Well, I borrowed this book from the library, and it is EXCELLENT. "Sewing For Plus Sizes: Design, Fit, and Construction for Ample Apparel" by Author Barbara Deckert. ISBN 1561582840

Step-by-step photos, fabrics to avoid if you're fat, lots of useful sewing tips. For example - if your tummy or bust is large and you have a hard time sitting right up close to your sewing machine, try slipping a non-slip wedge under the far side of the machine to tip it slightly toward you, so you can view the throat-plate and maneuvre the fabric more easily under the needle.

Oh yes, she also shows you how to make your very own dressmaker model, using kraft tape over your own body, at a cost of only $5, as opposed to the $300 or $400 for a professional "form". The nice thing about this is that it's shaped to YOUR figure, so the bust, waist and potbelly are all in the correct proportion .. .. AND, as you lose weight and your figure changes, it's so cheap to make - you can just toss it, and make a new one. I love it!!

I just checked Chapters.ca, and the book is currently available for 20% off. I think I'll buy it, it really is good.

happy sewing,
Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 08-02-01 at 14:18]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-01, 20:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation ordering from chapters.ca

hi Norma, and all,

Here's the blurb from Chapters on their shipping fees
Quote:
Chapters.ca now uses Canada Post Xpresspost as its basic shipping method in Canada. For the same low price as Expedited Parcel, shipments are now faster, more reliable and trackable.

Shipping within Canada
Xpresspost - rate $3.95 per order, plus $0.95 for each item, shipping time 1 - 3 days (urban centres), 5 - 7 business days (rural areas)
Priority Courier - $20 per order, plus $1 for each item, shipping time 1 - 2 days

Orders shipped by Xpresspost can only be left in what is deemed to be a secure location. If no one is available to accept the package, and if a secure drop-off location is not available, then a card will be left informing you that the package is waiting to be picked up at the nearest Canada Post office.

On multiple-item orders shipped by Xpresspost in Canada, we ship available items right away, charging the per-order fee and per-item fee (as applicable). Each of the remaining items in your order is shipped as they arrive at our warehouse. The only charge for these items is the per-item fee.

To get to Chapters from this site, click herehttp://www.lowcarb.ca/books.html
. If you're interested in this particular book, select and copy the title with your mouse - Sewing for Plus Sizes , then you can just paste it in the Chapters box on the left side of the page, and away you go. If you just want to browse, click on the Chapters logo, and it'll take you to their home page.

Hope this is helpful,
Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 08-02-01 at 21:32]
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-01, 17:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 63%
Smile

Yes, Doreen, I sew regularly.

In fact, when I reached my 'half-way to goal' I splurged and bought myself a new machine, a Huskvarna #1+. I LOVE it! And I can justify it since I had to have a new wardrobe anyways.

I've tossed tons of clothes that were now too large. Felt bad about some, but had to make way for new ones that fit better. I also went thru and tossed a lot of my plus sized patterns.

About the dress form. A couple of years ago I made a 'duct-tape double'. My husband helped me with it. Unfortunately, since then I've had a breast reduction and lost 33 pounds, so it's not accurate anymore. We're planning on doing another when I get to goal.

As for patterns, I've had better luck using some of the more offbeat patterns, not available in the stores. But right now, I'm usually wearing a pair of black jeans, a black turtleneck, and a jacket that I've made myself. I haven't had much need for anything else, and don't want too much (unless it's alterable) that won't fit in a few months. Also, as I lose weight, I find my 'style' is changing. So I can't really second-guess what I'll want to be wearing this summer, for instance.

Hope this helps, feel free to email me if you want to chat sewing.
Lainey