Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 04:24

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Article - cutting sugar can kill you

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...xperts-warn.htm

I don't even know where to begin on this article. They slam it because it is to them not enjoyable or sustainable. They say it results in a diet of meat and fat and conclude that isn't healthy. They say it's nutrient deficient.

My diet has lots of leafy greens and cruciferous veggies, super nutritious meats, and great fats like dairy avocado olive coconut and butter. All my biometrics are great. What could I be doing wrong? Why are they so resistant to a diet that reverses diabetes?

What do you think?
Leslie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 05:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Reading the comments is encouraging. Only 50% of the people in the world are of "average intelligence." Internet users do not live in a nutritional vacuum. Truth will out.

The sugar lobby is very powerful, just like Big Pharma and the rest of Big Food.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 06:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

The only reason that not eating sugar is difficult to sustain is that its soooooo hard to find food, especially convenience/snack food without sugar!!That is my only annoyance with this way of eating - I try not to, but I do get fed up with pork scratchings/rinds when I'm out and about and end up not eating at all!

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 06:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/spoof-diets.html

If you go to the senseaboutscience spoof diet page, the heading is this; Ask for evidence. But then they go down through various diets--the criticism of the no sugar diet is verbatim as given in the Daily Mail article, you'll die if you don't eat any sugar, because your only recourse will be meat and fat. Ask for evidence, yes. The descriptions of the diets, and their dismissal, are brief--too brief to actually get around to providing any evidence against their effectiveness. The headine says "Ask for evidence," not "ask us us to tell you there is evidence, no really, trust us." If the problem is people accepting things without evidence, the solution can't be soundbites.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 06:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Reading the comments is encouraging. Only 50% of the people in the world are of "average intelligence." Internet users do not live in a nutritional vacuum. Truth will out.

The sugar lobby is very powerful, just like Big Pharma and the rest of Big Food.

AND BigPharma makes billions from insulin sales. They want us all on insulin.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 06:27

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I think if they can get you go click on any of the links on that page, it's an excellent article! I reads like it's turned out by a complete hack or an intelligent computer algorithm.

I did check out the group they referenced. Sense About Science. I couldn't find the reference material they talked about but I didn't try very hard. Boring.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 12:08

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Don't be too hard on these guys. They are 'experts' after all.
If you read very carefully, what they are saying is TOTALLY true.
It is TOTALLY true that you will die if you TOTALLY eliminate sugar from your diet because it is impossible to TOTALLY eliminate ALL sugar unless you TOTALLY eliminate food.
In other words don't eat anything and you will very successfully reduce your sugar consumption to zero, zilch, nada not even 0.000001%. You will also TOTALLY die.
Only a TOTAL 'expert' could figure out something as TOTALLY useless as this observation.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 13:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger

Yeah, it's worse than that. 50% of the people in the world are BELOW average intelligence.

But that may just be THE stupidest article I've read in a long time. I'm pretty sure though, that it's par for the course with that particular publication. The sidebar was all links to juicy articles about starlets, and seemed inordinately focused on the size of their bra cups.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 13:24

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

The problem with the Internet is that it needs a constant supply of content, and spam-bait headlines rule the web. You really do have to be on the lower half of the intelligence spectrum to not be able to distinguish between a real story and one that just makes you look.

It's all the stuff in between, that appears to make sense on the surface, that sounds "sciency," or appeals to your selective perception, that you really have to watch out for. Then you'll need to be in the upper half of the upper half