Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 09:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
Especially since the recipe from Your Lighter Side didn't even include artificial sweetener.

That's just a variation she recommends for making Low Carb cream puffs!

That's the current recipe. Cleo's original recipe included splenda, but then she had concerns about using splenda with her kids, and removed it from her recipe. At one point, she had removed the salt from the recipe too. No idea if the salt is back in the recipe or not at this point.

As I understand it, Cleo sold the site to someone named Kimber (See the FAQ page on her site - Cleo's real first name is Jamie) a while back, so I don't know what changes the current owner of the site might have made to the recipes, or if she's left all of Cleo's recipes as they were when she bought the site, adding her own recipes.

The reason I bring up the site ownership change is that I remember learning when I was in school that Nestle's Toll House Cookie recipe is a specific recipe to which Nestle owns all rights. Over the years, many people have sent them all kinds of variations about how they make chocolate chip cookies, and these recipe contributors have invariably still called their recipe Toll House Cookies. But the funny thing about recipes is that if you change anything about any ingredient in the recipe, then it becomes a new and different recipe, so their legal dept always informs these well-meaning recipe contributors that they need to cease and desist calling their recipe Toll House cookies. In other words, you can't call your variation on a recipe by the same name as the recipe you changed - You need to make up another name for it.

It's a different matter if you were the one to create the recipe variation, and then go about changing your own recipe, such as the way Cleo changed her own Oopsie Roll recipe on her site.

Having said that, I don't think Cleo ever copyrighted her Oopsie recipe, and I don't think the new owner of her site has either. Cleo was always very gracious about welcoming any variations on her original Oopsies that anyone came up with, happy to still have them called Oopsie rolls.

I have no idea if Atkins copyrighted the original Revolution Roll recipe. At some point though, the Revolution Roll recipe was changed from using cottage cheese to using cream cheese. For all I know, the Revolution Roll and the Rev Roll may have been two separate copyrighted recipes, but even if the public came up with the name Rev Roll as a nickname for Revolution Rolls, the owner of the original recipe can make changes in the recipe with no legal repercussions.

My point in all this is that (for what it's worth) by changing the sweetener to sugar, even if the Rev/Revolution Roll recipe was copyrighted, or if Cleo's Oopsie recipe was copyrighted, Oz has created what is legally considered to be a new recipe.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 09:36

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm way behind, as I don't know this Cleo. But never mind. The rolls roll on, right?

BTW, the Sugar Twin used in Dr. Atkins's 1972/3 recipes was NOT cyclamate, as cyclamate had already been banned in the U.S. In that book, Atkins encouraged readers to look to a foreign country (thank you, Canada!) or to pressure industry to provide better alternatives to Sugar Twin, which he said contains dextrin.

We know what's happened in the AS biz since then!

Since the Diet Revolution Roll recipe appeared in his book titled Diet Revolution, I think it's safe to assume that it falls under the copyright for that book. However, I'm all for sharing recipes that make LC life happier for everyone, with apologies to the originators. Perhaps we can still give credit to Fran Gare and Helen Monica, the Atkins "food technologists" who tested all the recipes. Wherever you are, thanks!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 10:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

As an erstwhile food column writer (and how I wish I could take back everything I said about hearthealthywholegrains and low fat/low salt) usually the only thing that is copyrighted is the directions. One can't copyright a list of ingredients. Not sure about recipe names, but I always changed mine. But if the recipe name contains the brand name of an ingredient or a restaurant name, that would definitely have to be omitted.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 18:28

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I noticed right away that the Oz recipe wasn't stolen from the Oopsie Recipe, mainly because the Oopsie recipe calls for 3 oz of cream cheese, not 3 TBSP.

I didn't even notice that, I was rolling my eyes so hard.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 07:43

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Back in the '70's it was called cloud bread. But Rev rolls might even be older.

I make mine with ground flax, almond flour and ground pork rinds (no cheese).

I also make a hamburger bun by lightly beating one (whole) egg, adding a tablepoon of each of ground flax, almond flour, and ground pork rinds and frying it up into 2 little pancakes. Since it has egg, pork and beef (from the burger) I call it my Barnyard Burger.

Last edited by TammyD : Wed, Mar-23-16 at 06:50.