Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-12, 17:53
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Pork-Broccoli Stir Fry with Kelp Noodles

This recipe was my very first experience with kelp noodles. I've heard so many people say they like them better than shirataki tofu noodles. The jury is still out on these for me. Not sure I like them as well as the shirataki tofu noodles. On the up side, they do not have that fishy/rubber band smell the shirataki noodles have; on the down side, they are much, MUCH more crunchy. So I will likely save these for soups and salad recipes in future. But you don't know until you try them out. Personal taste is so highly individual.

This dish was quick, easy and very tasty. I'll certainly make it again (but I think on shirataki tofu noodles). This lunch for two you can make in just minutes with a just one small piece of lean pork. It can also be made with chicken or beef. Chinese stir-fry is always a GREAT way to use up a bit of leftover meat or to stretch those grocery dollars to have a small amount of meat feed more people. This dish is low in calories as well as carbs. Using shirataki tofu noodles for this will add 16 calories more to each serving. This dish is suitable for all phases of Atkins and Primal-Paleo fare as well.

INGREDIENTS:

1 T. Olive Oil
1 tsp. red palm oil (or more olive oil)
4 oz. lean pork, cut into thin strips
2 oz. onion, slivered (I used red onion for color)
2 oz. bell pepper (any color you prefer)
½ c. broccoli flowerettes, cut small (I used leftover, steamed)
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. fresh ginger, minced
¼-½ tsp. chili paste (I use Sambal Oelek, available in most grocery stores)
½ c. homemade chicken broth
1 tsp. coconut aminos (or tamari, or low-sodium soy sauce)
3 tsp. sesame seeds (I used white and black mixture)
Pinch dehydrated onion
Pinch your favorite thickener (optional)
8 oz. kelp noodles (2/3 bag)

DIRECTIONS: Heat oils in a non-stick skillet or wok over high heat. Add meat and stir-fry until brown. Add onion and bell pepper. Saute until they just begin to soften. Add all other ingredients but the thickener. Stir to mix well. If using, dust a pinch of thickening agent over the liquid and stir-fry until it begins to slightly thicken. Rinse the kelp noodles in a colander under hot running water to heat them a bit. Plate half the noodles on each plate. Top with half the stir-fry mixture. ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains:

230 calories
15 g fat
9.05 g carbs, 2.95 g fiber, 6.1 g NET CARBS
15 g protein
225 mg sodium
478 mg potassium
31% Vitamin B6, 16% B12, 138% C, 11% calcium, 27% copper, 22% iron, 11% magnesium, 12% manganese, 27% niacin, 25% phosphorous, 19% riboflavin, 56% thiamin and 19% zinc
Sponsored Links