Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-15, 06:15

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi there,
I suppose if I'm honest I'm semi-low-carb too. I was planning to go stricter for a while and the scale did go down about a kilo but was pretty much back today. Hohum.

When I see what I eat now and how hard it is to even lose a pound, I am amazed I didn't get fatter than I did. My top weight was about 84 kg, and now I'm 69, so I'm very happy about that and determined not to cross the 70 kg barrier again. I don't touch bread, pizza, baked goods (except occasionally when I make a cake based on ground nuts) and pasta. I eat the occasional gluten free cracker - well one a day, more or less, at breakfast - and the odd taco shell. My husband eats gluten free and occasionally I eat a spoonful of rice, a few rice noodles or a bit of sweet potato. We're trying to ditch nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, aubergines) to see if it helps with his bad hip.

This way of eating really seems to suit me healthwise. I feel much fitter overall and rarely catch infections. I don't take any supplements because I think I'm getting pretty much all I need from food.

So I'm with you guys. This WOE has to be sustainable and it's better to maintain than to gain!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-15, 20:55

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Regarding tacos--the small shells we use are only 6g of carbs. I split it open and eat it in two pieces, piled with filling. We also have street tacos, those tortillas have 10g of carbs each. I guess they are thicker--wish I could find a thinner tortilla that used organic corn.

If I eat low carb bfast and lunch, I can afford to eat a few carbs for dinner. Not losing right now, but I'm holding steady and I feel good.
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-15, 07:02

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Its good to see this is active again. I had a scare yesterday or should I say it started a couple of days ago. Dizziness and foggy feeling came over me. I remembered I shuold drink some boulion and it helped. I have lost 30 pounds since April when I got serious again but I have eaten carbs off and on. I tend to take this one day at a time. Keeping carbs lower than 100 seems more realistic to me, but I do try to stay with high fiber, complex ones. Some days I am gun ho with strict low carb and other days Im not. In the past many years of low carb I have to say this is what really works for me.
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-15, 14:34

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I have had to go to semi low carb since i have adrenal fatigue and thyroid problems as well as hypoglycemia.

I lost 35 lbs last summer but gained it back during the winter. I was totally frustrated and told the dr. that I felt like a drug addict unable to control the carbs. He looked at all my symptoms and diagnosed me with Seasonal Affective Disorder. I have really felt horrible this summer, tired all the time and have not lost any weight. Dr changed my meds a bit and it did help for a while. If I can get my energy back it will help with losing.

I am experimenting with how I need to eat. Most carbs I cannot tolerate (gluten, grains, potatoes, most dairy (maybe all), etc.) so I don't eat those things and I don't like most junk food or soda pop. I do have an occasional bag of popcorn when we go to ace and a half cup beans at some meals.

Trying to up my carbs has been a trip. I eat sweet potatoes and carrots and papaya. I tried to use some sugar to get off Splenda but I worry about that. What to do, what to do? I am going to get a glucose meter and try eating to the meter. That might tell what food intolerances I have that I don't know about and what foods raise my BS. I am also trying oil pulling to see if that helps.
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 02:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

I see we have some similarities there JAnn!

It really is trial and error.

We are "addicted" to carbs!! I think most of us on this forum realise the more we eat them the more we want. Without question they stimulate our appetite. I can see this isn't true for everyone but for us

It does appear, for some of us, severe restriction just isn't the best way to make progress.
It's trying to find the balance between sticking to plan and eating few enough carbs to make it successful. I tried really low carb through the day and around 40-60 in evening. Thought I had hit (my way), but no, about a month in and I was totally exhausted by afternoon. Increased the carbs slightly at breakfast and lunch and coping better. Total carbs hopefully no more than 80g. I would like to stop the carb-appetite-stimulation effect but just can't find that balance. Also as per advice on here I don't cut salt.
I do wonder if we have to cope with (unknown intolerances) causing negative reactions that others don't have to contend with.
Have never been able to understand the eating one biscuit or just a couple of sweets. Goodness that would be nice but I really think I will never ever be able to do that!!

Last edited by esw : Fri, Sep-04-15 at 11:43.
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 07:48

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Regarding tacos--the small shells we use are only 6g of carbs. I split it open and eat it in two pieces, piled with filling. We also have street tacos, those tortillas have 10g of carbs each. I guess they are thicker--wish I could find a thinner tortilla that used organic corn.

If I eat low carb bfast and lunch, I can afford to eat a few carbs for dinner. Not losing right now, but I'm holding steady and I feel good.

Hey kitty, La Tiara Taco Shells are 4 carbs, I have one or two only. If I have one then I eat tacos with lettuce warps. check them out online. They are very thin shells.
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 07:56

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
Its good to see this is active again. I had a scare yesterday or should I say it started a couple of days ago. Dizziness and foggy feeling came over me. I remembered I shuold drink some boulion and it helped. I have lost 30 pounds since April when I got serious again but I have eaten carbs off and on. I tend to take this one day at a time. Keeping carbs lower than 100 seems more realistic to me, but I do try to stay with high fiber, complex ones. Some days I am gun ho with strict low carb and other days Im not. In the past many years of low carb I have to say this is what really works for me.

I happy it's back too. I saw this topic and no one had posted in it so I had to fire it up again. Glad It's still going. let's keep it going.

For me I went all in on the low carb stuff. I just gave up all them bad thing. I eat lots of veggies and lean meats. I do have a three spoon fools of brown rice when I see my self having very little carbs some time to get the weight dropping. It works for me. It's great you lost 30 pounds. I test my self and pass all the time when I go out to eat. you can eat very healthy when you eat out.
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-15, 10:07

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I think it's a good idea to test BS even if you are not diabetic. If you are carb sensitive you are possibly getting into pre-diabetic ranges and catching it as soon as possible is a plus. Strips are expensive. I use a Relion Meter from Walmart, and their strips are $9 for a bottle of 50. I don't think you could get insurance to pay for strips if you are not diabetic.

ESW I believe the UK uses the metric system whereas US does not. That's the difference in meter readings. Somewhere I have a chart that shows comparisons.

I found it!

http://www.joslin.org/info/conversi...monitoring.html
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 04:35

BF:

My cousin's fifteen-year old son just got diagnosed with diabetes. I'm curious to know more. As far as we know, he's the only one in the family. I think my mother - his great aunt - may have been diabetic towards the end of her life but she was never diagnosed as such.
I'm assuming it's Type II. I hope he gets good advice on diet.
  #130   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 05:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I think testing your own BG at home, before and after eating certain foods, is one of the most powerful tools you can buy OTC to see what diet is doing to your health. I resisted pricking myself a few years, my annual BG was OK, but what happens between that one snapshot is important. Sorry for the hijack, but...

Type 2 at 15? He should get the message now that diabetes is not a chronic and progressive disease and can be reversed through diet. If appropriate to share, a teen may respond well to video info, consider these two new talks.
Dr Hallberg: https://youtu.be/Aw0HipUPrXs

Dr Jason Fung's view ....Big Lie #1: Type 2 Diabetes is a chronic, progressive disease. Truth #1: Type 2 Diabetes is a curable dietary disease. It cannot be cured with medication though.

Big Lie #2: Lowering blood sugars is the goal of treatment. Truth #2: The cure for Type 2 Diabetes is to lower insulin, not blood sugar.

There is a newer version of this talk, but this one is freely available
Dr Fung: http://youtu.be/FcLoaVNQ3rc

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Sep-08-15 at 04:57.
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-15, 07:43

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

No problem with a hijack,Jey. Any post from you is always good information!
  #132   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-15, 07:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I've been following along and need to make an admission. I've been in maintenance now for just about 10 years. Each and every time I ate a starchier carb, I had feelings of guilt. It was making me nuts. I had to make a shift in my thinking and I think that I've finally done it.

I bought and made quinoa the other day. I like it a lot and added 1 tablespoon to my cauliflower/leek soup. I also put a parsnip in the soup for an added level of flavor.
I also enjoy Mary's Gone Crackers, which are gluten free little rice/flax crackers.

I eat a small amount of fruit, maybe 1 small serving per day. A favorite snack of mine is dehydrated peas.

Sorry to get away from the diabetes chat. You guys have an entire section for that.
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-15, 08:21

BF:
Default Type II or Type I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I think testing your own BG at home, before and after eating certain foods, is one of the most powerful tools you can buy OTC to see what diet is doing to your health. I resisted pricking myself a few years, my annual BG was OK, but what happens between that one snapshot is important. Sorry for the hijack, but...

Type 2 at 15? He should get the message now that diabetes is not a chronic and progressive disease and can be reversed through diet. If appropriate to share, a teen may respond well to video info, consider these two new talks.
Dr Hallberg: https://youtu.be/Aw0HipUPrXs

Dr Jason Fung's view ....Big Lie #1: Type 2 Diabetes is a chronic, progressive disease. Truth #1: Type 2 Diabetes is a curable dietary disease. It cannot be cured with medication though.

Big Lie #2: Lowering blood sugars is the goal of treatment. Truth #2: The cure for Type 2 Diabetes is to lower insulin, not blood sugar.

There is a newer version of this talk, but this one is freely available
Dr Fung: http://youtu.be/FcLoaVNQ3rc

Actually I was wrong. It's Type I. It seems to have come out of the blue. We saw him a while ago and he was normal weight but very thirsty. Apparently he collapsed at school and got taken to hospital.
Perhaps when he's older he may want to explore different treatments but as of now he is having to monitor his blood sugar 6 times a day and take insulin 4 times a day.
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-15, 12:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Judynyc:
Quote:
I've been following along and need to make an admission. I've been in maintenance now for just about 10 years. Each and every time I ate a starchier carb, I had feelings of guilt. It was making me nuts. I had to make a shift in my thinking and I think that I've finally done it.

SNAP

Absolutely!! We have to find what works for us as individuals. I increased carbs from 20-30g to 50 -80g. Like you I felt I wasn't doing it PROPERLY. Not quite there yet with the mental side but getting there. Whilst I can sustain this better I need to find the balance of sufficient carbs for sanity!! Whilst trying not to give the carb monster too much power. It can be difficult to know whether it's my sensible head telling me it okay to have some carbs. OR is it the CARB MONSTER telling me "a little bit more wont do any harm". I think the only way to make that call, is to have PLANNED carbs.
  #135   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-15, 13:32

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
It can be difficult to know whether it's my sensible head telling me it okay to have some carbs. OR is it the CARB MONSTER telling me "a little bit more wont do any harm". I think the only way to make that call, is to have PLANNED carbs.

This is why CALP has worked so well for me while losing, and when I follow it, for maintenance.