Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-15, 12:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Ah right. So I am officially " low carb"! Good I like it, thank you.
Trying to do this like Dottiedo-just a way of life. No idea if it's working weight wise but it's certainly curbing the carb cravings.
Lovely lemon sole recipe for evening meal, it's at the start of my journal. I put a little dill in and had it with roast vegetables.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-15, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

welcome esw, you will do fine on this as it is not extreme. I started very lowcarb but suffered depression and constipation and had a diverticulosis flare-up but knew I couldn't go back to the low-fat thing , hungry all the time. so I experimented and found "life without bread" nby Wolfgang Lutz...that gave me 'permission' to up the carbs to 72 a day and for some reason that was good for me...eventually began to feel less depressed and eating fruit and small amounts of whole grain took care of the other problem. as I said before, not as fast on the weight loss as Atkins but just that little bit of whole grains and fruit made the difference for me. I think the difference is I am just not as hungry so I don't snack like I used to either..i did have to watch certain things, the nuts are very calorie dense but I eat a handful sometimes with my homemade yogurt and berries.....(my sundae) kind of long-winded here so I will close...just try to forget everything you knew about "dieting" and ENJOY!
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 16:41

BF:

Thanks Dottiedo.
I'm hoping after 45 years of silly dieting, that a completely different approach might be more suitable. Carbs are around 60-70 and cravings for them are well under control. Like you I have had too many years of counting, measuring etc. I know some will say it's necessary but I feel I have to give this way a really good shot.
Maybe I'm living in cloud cuckoo land but im hoping some day soon one of my normal garments will feel a little looser!
I guess age may factor in my method as well. I just don't want the stress of hunger and the feeling of being out of control when I buckle to the cravings. Don't need to have the job done yesterday!! Strangely I am not missing bread, biscuits, cakes and sweets. Too well fed on real food Going through recipes on here, there is such variety, been having some fantastic meals lately courtesy of the Kitchen Corner.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 09:36

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I too am doing much better the past few days after months of falling back into the carb habit. I do not crave sweets at all, but since dh eats carbs like potatoes, rice, bread, it's in the house and sometimes calls my name. Every time I turn it down I make myself stronger.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 10:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I have two little dogs I walk twice a day, ( I am retired) so I do get exercise but they stop and smell so much, its hardly aerobic!
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 14:18

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am like you guys, too many years feeling like I was on a diet. Now I eat real food at real meals and lighten up on the starches and sweets. Feel like I made it too hard for too long, hm.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-15, 07:14

BF:

Still plodding away at low carb. Had a few problems but think I am back on track again.
Dog walking is a great way to get exercise. You really can't give yourself an excuse not to because it has to be done. I am lucky, mine can have the freedom to run around and I walk at whatever pace my metabolism is feeling up to. Let's keep doing what we are doing and learning from that.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 07:20

I lost my little doggie around Christmas, poor thing. Now I am without a dog for the first time in 37 years. It's not decided if we will get another one because now that we're retired
1) they tie you down
2) SS doesn't pay enough for vet bills
3) we don't want to die and leave a dog that no one wants

So no dog walking for me, and that's a good thing because our weather has been in the single digits lately. Brrrr

I heard that shivering is supposed to help you burn more fat! LOL I should be getting very thin very soon.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-15, 10:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

pacarolsue, I hear what you are saying about the dog thing, i'm so sorry your little doggie has passed...I am alone as my hubby passed away 9 years ago and I really feel like my pets keep me going...I don't travel much anyway and family watches my 'Babies" when i'm gone...they have also promised me that if something should happen to me, someone in the 6 close relatives thjat are near me, will take them into their home..that eases my mind a lot. I guess this is turning into a "dog" column! lol keep up the good work ladies...for breakfast this morning.....two coffees with real cream, a piece of sara lee toast (7 net carbs) with butter, and a two egg omelet with abit of cheddar melted on top..will keep me thru lunch....lately I kind of have a lunch-dinner combination about 4:30....tonight I will have left over pork roast with broccoli and cauliflower and Havarti cheese melted on top....and a small glass of white wine....whats not to like? cheers!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 22:16

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all, I'm kind of floating around the forum until I figure out what works for me and where I fit in! I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, I'm more interested in developing a way of eating that feels right, is healthy, and keeps me a bit slimmer.

I tried going down to about 60g of carbs a day, and had terrible insomnia (I'm always on the edge of insomnia anyway). So now I'm trying to find a balance that will enable me to keep my energy up and sleep well.

Both my sisters have done very well on low carb--at 128 and 135 for several years now. I have a very physically demanding job (landscaper) so I can't afford to go without sleep.

Is there any rule of thumb as to where my carbs should be, to lose slowly and evenly, with an active lifestyle? Does the quality of the carbs matter? E.g. could I still lose with more complex carbs?
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-15, 07:00

Nicekitty, it is my opinion that each of us do differently on different amounts and types of carbs, so do some experimenting and see what works best for you, still allowing for weight loss and also sleep. Beware of simple carbs. Complex carbs are best, and try to look for the ones with the most fiber.

Others might also have suggestions.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-15, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb /CAD/Veg(ish)
Stats: 192/185/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Have any of you semi-low carbers looked into the Trim Healthy Mama plan? I have been reading up on it a bit, and a lot of people online (bloggers, fb groups) rave about it. Another poster asked about it the other day in the forum.

It seems like it gives you the best of both worlds: the carbs in one meal to give you needed seratonins(?) and the low carb for other meals for weight loss. Carbs and fats don't mix on the plan, so you choose which type of meal you will eat each time. Anyway, I don't know a ton about it but it reminds me of Suzanne Somers' book from early 2000's. I am curious and might try it.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-15, 14:11

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotta
Have any of you semi-low carbers looked into the Trim Healthy Mama plan? I have been reading up on it a bit, and a lot of people online (bloggers, fb groups) rave about it. Another poster asked about it the other day in the forum.

It seems like it gives you the best of both worlds: the carbs in one meal to give you needed seratonins(?) and the low carb for other meals for weight loss. Carbs and fats don't mix on the plan, so you choose which type of meal you will eat each time. Anyway, I don't know a ton about it but it reminds me of Suzanne Somers' book from early 2000's. I am curious and might try it.

Reminds me a wee bit of the Reward Meal concept of the plan I follow - and will continue cause if it ain't broke don't fix it I'm almost within 10 pounds of goal.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-15, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb /CAD/Veg(ish)
Stats: 192/185/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
Reminds me a wee bit of the Reward Meal concept of the plan I follow - and will continue cause if it ain't broke don't fix it I'm almost within 10 pounds of goal.

I think so too, Patricia! It is grabbing my attention since it *looks* like more flexibility in one way--one can switch between the meals of carb or fats as long as there are 3 hours between. BUT you can't really mix the fats/carbs like you can with CALP/CAD... so less flex there.

Really, I want my carbs WITH fats and I can have that with the CAD/CALP plan.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-15, 19:24

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

ccotta--are you on CAD right now? how is it working for you? Are you slowing down as your weight gets closer to goal?

I too want my carbs and fats together--like in the low-carb (but some) cheesecake I have in the oven right now. It has 6 eggs in it, so I'm pretending it is good for me....

I'm trying to bring carbs down, but still avoid problems with insomnia. I think CAD has worked well for that, in that my carbs are all in the evening. And I don't snack anymore, which I think has helped a lot with weight loss--less insulin output during the day.