Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 00:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/232/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default CoEnzyme COQ10 & L-Carnitine

I was recommended that I try CoEnzyme Q 10 (COQ10) and L-Carnitine. I have been unable to find either in my local drugstore. I may have to search a few health food stores in my area. I am in Burlington, ON, Canada, does anyone know who carries these two products. I was able to find something similar (I think) to the CoEnzyme....maybe someone can confirm it is the same thing? The product link is below

http://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/product_item.asp?id=369

Thanks alot....

Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 00:57

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Robert,

I managed to buy both of these in a health food shop when I was back in England at Xmas. I can't see I've noticed any benefits though.

Do we have the same name?

I'm Robert Fletcher.

regards,
robert
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 06:50

Stats: 220/191/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Robert

I'm in the GTA and found CoEnzyme in Shoppers Drup Mart of all places! They have an excellent selection of supplements. I haven't seen the L-Carnitine anywhere, however.

I'm going to give GNC a try today. I noticed that they have their own brand of L-Carnitine in the States, so maybe we have it here as well. I'll post here if I find them.

And by the way, I found an excellent online source for supplements ( other than these two, they don't have them .) The prices are WAY BETTER than what I've been paying and the shipping is cheap!

http://www.canadian-wholesale-direct.com

Check them out!

Lolli
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Has anyone out there had any noticable improvements when taking coq10 or l-carnitine? I am looking for something to boost my weight loss.....what weight loss. I am considering trying both. I also have seen both these products in "Super Store" and also Shoppers Drug Mart.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 09:34

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

If you have GNC's in Canada, they carry both supplements. Wal-Mart carries the COQ10, and so does Rite Aid and many other pharmacies in the vitamin section. L-carnitine is a bit trickier to find. If you can't find it locally, it's available online at both E-bay and other vitamin sites. One very reasonably priced site for many supplements (including the 2 talked about here) is http://www.puritan.com . Good luck finding a place to buy them. I also saw someone ask if they worked, well I know they've helped me, but as with everything discussed here it may or may not help you. You'll never know unless you try. However, even if it doesn't help you in loosing weight they are both products which promote healthy heart function and aid in fat burning, so they can't hurt.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 10:20
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Co What?

What is it? Why do you think you need it? Eat naturally and moderately and you won't need anything artificial. I ponder why people always want to gobble down some artificial drug instead of focusing on the real problem. We have been eating the wrong foods and far too much of them. Work on that idea, enjoy the Atkins menus, and you will do a lot better than you will taking some drug that the FDA will probably ban in a year or so when they find out that it does something awful to your body. That's my opinion

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:12

BF:

I just got off the phone with GNC here in Canada, they informed me that L-Carnitine was illegal in Canada!! Can you still order online and get it shipped to you? Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:39

Stats: 220/191/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Robert

If CFIA ( Canadian Food Inspection Agency ) has banned it here, I'm sure they have good reason! I know CFIA is much more stringent then the FDA, and in my opinion, with good reason!

All IMHO of course!

Lolli
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 12:08

BF:

I just got off the phone with GNC here in Canada, they informed me that L-Carnitine was illegal in Canada!! Can you still order online and get it shipped to you? Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 13:43

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

First of all they are not drugs, they are nutrirtional supplements. Co Enzyme Q10 is a natural supplement which plays an important role in heart function in addition to helping mobilize fat. L-carnitine is a natural amino acid involved in fat transport, which is also used to correct cardiomyopathy, stabilize heart rythm, lower triglyceride levels, & increase HDL (good cholesterol). So for the people saying it's a diet drug & unsafe- it's neither. Dr. Atkins himself recommends both products, and he's clearly done more research on the subject than someone who doesn't even know what they are. I'm sorry if I sound snotty, but if someone is uniformed on a subject it angers me for them to preach about it. Just like when people say low-carbing is unhealthy, but have done no research on the subject. Anyhow I'm sure Canada has reasons for the ban, but I am not aware of them. Good luck to all.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 14:57

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default coq10

excuse my left hand hunt +pk - r. hand cts surgery this am but computer addictn - this mth prevention talks ~ coq10 as a drug for memory and even parknsns - + how it helps metabolze sugars-- i found both at gnc and kmart cheaper there... hey - even asked for sugar free ginger ale in recovery thisam - then had dh take me for omelet!

jan
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 15:28

Plan: atkins my way
Stats: 228/216/185
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default vitamins

Robert you can shop at www.puritan.com for these two supplements. I buy from this company all the time. They have good quality vitamins. I take both of these vitamins plus others. I feel good so maybe these vitamins do help. Right now they are having a buy ONE get TWO free sale, plus free shipping with $40 purchase.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

I have been taking both L-cartenine & Q-10 for the last 2 weeks and have not noticed any difference at all.
I am going to go ahead and pick up another supply (I found it at Walgreen's and CVS drugstores) even though it IS pretty pricey, as some supplements take a while to have any impact on your system.
All I can say is that wilth all of the vitamins, minerals, and supplements I am taking....I should be healthy as a horse!!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 17:50

Plan: herbalife
Stats: 157/130/130 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Robertf according to my reader's digest vitamins and mineral
book it seems that all amino acids (which L-carnitine is) are
strictly regulated, it also says L-carnitine can only be bought
by a doctors prescription.
Ordering it on-line may not be such a wise idea, according
to the GNC people I spoke in the US awhile back, it is a hit
and miss thing with Canadian Customs a small amount may
get through, and If it doesn't you are out your $$. That's why
they wouldn't ship here.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 18:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm in Canada also. I can tell you that some health food stores do carry amino acid supplements "under the counter". You have to ask discretely . Be prepared to pay a BIG price though. L-carnitine runs around $45 Cdn for 30 tablets (1000 mg).

The thing is, the effective dose is really high ... 3000 to 4000 mg per day is what was used in the studies which actually showed results for fat loss and muscle gain. Lower doses may be helpful for heart/cardiac muscle problems, but those are best left to your dr. for advice.

For the record, the amino acids which are permitted for sale here are: glutamine, taurine and phenylalanine and leucine.

Doreen