Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 17:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default CoQ10 and L-carnitine

I finally broke down and bought some of the stuff today. I am taking the doses reccomended in Dr. Atkins book.

Have you tried CoQ10 or L-Carnitine? What were your results? I am already taking Atkins Dieters Advantage, Essential Oils, and Basic 3.

I love this way of eating, and all this extra energy.
My goal is to speed up my weight loss a little.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 06:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sandy, I'm posting here to bump your question as I have removed the duplicate post in the other forum. If you don't get a reply feel free to bump it up yourself so that it will show up under 'veiw new posts' - which is how most of us browse the forum.

Sorry I can't help with half your question - L-carnitine is not available in Canada (which may be why you have not received any replies). I have taken CoQ10 and I have not taken it - to be honest I don't notice much of a difference. And since it's the most expensive supplement I was taking I opted to save the money and pick up a few extra bottles of green tea extract.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:03

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I supplement with l-carnitine daily. Supposedly, it helps transport fat to be burned. I can't say for sure that it does do what it's supposed to, as I have been taking it all along, but I have lost plenty of inches and pounds while taking it. Try it and see if it helps you. Only thing it will hurt is your wallet.

One of the guys I work with swears by that cq10 stuff. He told me it's supposed to help with memory and brain health. Never tried it myself though.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 08:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Sandy,

As Nat pointed out, they're both very expensive, so might not be a lot of folks with experience using them.

FWIW, I did look into taking l-carnitine at one time .. Dr Atkins suggests it "might" be helpful for obese persons who are having trouble getting into ketosis/ lipolysis with the diet alone, even after a short course of the Fat Fast, which is described in the chapter dealing with Metabolic Resistance. In general though, it's mostly used for heart problems, and to aid the heart muscle after a heart attack. The EXPENSE is what inhibited me ... it IS available in larger centers in Canada "under the counter" ... but at $45 Cdn for 30 - 1000mg pills, and the recommended dose is 1000 to 2000mg per day ... Ugghh! Atkins even suggest that for boosting ketosis, some of his patients didn't see results until they were taking 8000 mg a day!

CoQ10 can have a balancing effect on blood sugars and insulin, and may be helpful for reducing insulin resistance ... which ultimately can boost fat-burning. Dr Atkins tells of a study which showed improved fat-burning and weight loss when persons who were previously deficient in CoQ10 were given the supplement. Persons who were not deficient saw little change. Again, the dose used was high .. 100mg a day.

**Note - The cholesterol-lowering statin drugs will deplete the body's stores of CoQ10, so if you're taking or have taken those, then you should supplement CoQ10 for sure.

Sorry I can't share any experience, but hope the info. is helpful for you, one way or another.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

someone mentioned somewhere (and of course I can't find the thread!) that L-Carnitine can be purchased in bulk in the States? Anyone know any info on this?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 02:52

BF:

Thanks for all the replies!!
So far so good, I have lost 1 1/2 pounds in the last week, which is better than I usually do, so maybe it's the L-carnitine and CoQ10.

They ARE really expensive, but I probably won't need them very long. I just figured I was spending so much on the Atkins Essential Oils, the Basic 3, and the Dieters Advantage, that I might as well buy the rest of the stuff. I never took vitamins regularly before this diet.

Sandy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:55

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Default L-C and A-L-C

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Sandy, I'm posting here to bump your question as I have removed the duplicate post in the other forum. If you don't get a reply feel free to bump it up yourself so that it will show up under 'veiw new posts' - which is how most of us browse the forum.

Sorry I can't help with half your question - L-carnitine is not available in Canada (which may be why you have not received any replies). I have taken CoQ10 and I have not taken it - to be honest I don't notice much of a difference. And since it's the most expensive supplement I was taking I opted to save the money and pick up a few extra bottles of green tea extract.

Nat

L-C and ALC are available in Canada. Some shops carry them but sell them only to folks they know. I have no trouble getting them. However, since Sept 11, it is harder to get things across the border. I haven't felt any effects tho', neither good or bad.

Nancy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 02:30

BF:

In retrospect:

I stopped taking CoQ10 and L-Carnitine because it got too darn expensive. I also stopped Atkins Essential Oils and Atkins Advantage. All I take now is Atkins Basic #3. Interestingly enough, I have been on a stall ever since I stopped the supplements!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:47

Angry ALC

Hi Sandylee, Well, today I picked up a new bottle of ALC. Yeeks,
$51. plus tax, Cdn. I don't think I can keep buying at the price, only 30 caps!!!

I think I'll have to do without. Thank heavens that Chromium is cheap.

I don't think it's help me either but I've only taken it a few weeks.

I've hit a plateau.One week and not an ounce.

Hope it's my fat cells all stuffed with water and will have the whoose soon.Otherwise, doing ok. Getting lots to eat, actually think I could eat more. Oh well, I'm hanging in there. Any ideas? I can't stand to go "Fat fast"or even back to induction.

Bye for now, Nancy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 19:08

BF:

Hi Nancy, look at your numbers! From 205 to 191 looks great to me

What is ALC?

I went out today and got some more CoQ10, 150 mg. and L-carnitine, 250 mg.
For 30 pills they were about $11 each. That's pretty expensive considering I was taking 6 L-carnitine a day and 2 CoQ10.

I'll let you know if it works.

Sandy
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 19:26

Exclamation ALC

Hi Sandylee, nice talking to ya. Well, yes, I'm pleased with my quick start, quick for me anyhow. But now of course, I'm spoiled and want to lose some more!! I know it's just things getting adjusted etc but it is frustrating.

However, I would be happy with 1 lb a week on a consistant basis and am plugging away.

ALC is a pre-cursor to L. Carnitine. It"s called Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Dr. A. recomands it for people over 50 since your levels deplete as you get older. Or something like that.

However, it is incredibly $$$$ so don't know if I'll buy any more. If I get down to Buffalo to shop I will buy some there. Should be cheaper since it is not made in Canada.
All the best, Nancy

#12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 13:18

BF:

11/3
It seemed to work. I've lost 5 pounds since I started taking it pm 10/23, but inless I can find a less expensive source, I won't continue.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 22:30

Thumbs up way to go

Hey Sandy, How ya doing? Haven't seen you for a while.

Way to go, 5 lbs gone, yea! I was stalled out two, but things are moving along again, thankfully.

About the L-Carn, I don't think I'll buy any more. Might try something a little more reasonable, like green tea.

I know it's a real small goal, but are you in for 5 more lbs by Xmas?

Nancy
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 20:45
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Adkins
Stats: 300/290/165 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I started using L-carn... after stalling for 4 weeks. It really helped me there. I haven't taken any in the past week, and noticed my weight loss slowed a bit. Still loosing, just not as fast.

-Nati
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 09:24

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default verdict?

Hi --

Sandylee, I see you've been on and off coq10 - what's the verdict? Do you think it is helping, and if so how?

My wife's shrink suggested I go on it for my fibromyalgia, not for weight loss, but I am not so sure I want to spend the money. I've heard conflicting reports, on it's effeectivelness, and am curious to see what you think of it --

Thanks --