Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
73 Pounds And Counting
Posted by allisonm
Posted Tue, Jan-08-02
Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile 73 Pounds And Counting

I am still 90 pounds from my goal but I thought I'd write my experience here with the hope of offering some encouragement to someone contemplating this way of eating.

My mother was way ahead of her time, jumping on the low-fat bandwagon in the 'sixties. She started me on a low-fat diet when I was five. Even as a very small child I was only allowed to have nonfat milk. By the time I was in sixth grade I had developed a bad problem with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). My hands shook badly and I was tired all the time.

The solution offered by doctors and nutritionists was to eat lots of "complex carbohydrates": apples, juice, bread, potatoes, etc. They also recommended frequent snacking. I did what was considered to be medically sound and religiously consumed a low-fat diet of complex carbohydrates. To prevent severe bouts of hypoglycemia I never went more than a couple of hours without shoving something in my mouth. Some of the severe drops in blood sugar could be avoided by constantly feeding but I still felt tired most of the time.

I was always told that I was a fat child and I believed that I was fat. Oddly, I now look back at photographs from my childhood through my preteen years and I simply cannot see it. Nonetheless, I was always on a diet. And as the years went by I did get big. I reached 226 lbs. at 17 years old.

I became an expert dieter, reading every sensible diet book printed. I tried them all -- all the ones that were considered medically sound anyway. That is, all the low-fat diets. I reached 304 lbs. at 22 years old. My weight finally leveled out at 267 lbs. where it stayed for the next decade of low-fat dieting coupled with moderate exercise.

It finally hit me like a ton of bricks one day while reading an anti-diet article: This doesn't work! I couldn't believe how stupid I had been for decades of dieting and gaining. I had accepted the principles of low-fat dieting blindly. I had never questioned the low-fat doctrine of the medical establishment even though I knew that I had followed faithfully without success. What an idiot!

So I gave up and decided to accept myself as a healthy overweight woman. That didn't quite work either.

Next I became an enthusiast for aerobic exercise without dieting. I was surprised to find that I didn't have to curl up in a ball for an hour after exercise, shaking from low blood sugar if I was eating some fat and protein. Getting off caffeine eliminated nearly all the severe hypoglycemic episodes. But I wasn't losing any weight and I was exhausted all the time.

I then decided to approach my weight problem as a behavioral issue. I read a dozen books and tried their methods which basically amounted to periods of fasting. Not eating made me even more listless.

After reading copies of Atkins and Protein Power I decided to try low-carb dieting. The books made sense. They explained my experience with low-fat dieting and it sounded like I might finally surmount my problems with hypoglycemia.

But I had no idea what an extreme reaction I would have to this way of eating. I lost 35 lbs. in two months and felt better than I ever thought possible. I suddenly had energy beyond my imagination. Before the low-carb diet I was usually sprawled in a semi-reclined position, quietly observing the world around me without participating. Now I found myself sitting up straight or leaning forward and engaging in conversations. I became one of those people who wag a foot incessantly. Prior to the low-carb woe I napped daily. It used to take every bit of strength I could muster to haul myself off to bed at night. Now I couldn't imagine wanting to sleep during the day and I was fully awake all day long, for the first time ever.

Then I began a seven month stall. In retrospect, I understand what happened. I didn't at the time. I was living in a situation where 95% of the meals I was eating were prepared by someone who was opposed to my new high-fat, high-protein, low-carb way of eating. The meals looked low-carb and when I asked questions about the food I got the answers I was looking for. But I think there was a bit of sabotage going on there. And I was eating lots of Atkins and Biochem low-carb bars without knowing about hidden carbs. I consumed too much wine, cheese and too many nuts also.

I still felt great but became exasperated about not losing weight and began slowly adding carbs back into my diet, fatalistically thinking that the scheme just didn't work as a weight-reduction program.

A year later my diet had degenerated to lots of fat and carbs with a only moderate amount of protein mixed in: the worst possible combination. I ballooned to 313 lbs. and I was exhausted all over again. So I decided last June to go back on Atkins/Protien Power just to regain my energy. I knew it didn't work as a weight-loss plan but would do it anyway, just for the energy boost.

I was surprised again at how easy it is to feel fully awake all day. And I was wrong about its efficacy as a weight-loss program. In seven months of preparing low-carb meals myself I've lost 73 pounds. Painlessly. My food cravings are gone and I feel like I can do this endlessly. Somehow this diet has killed my appetite and I no longer think about food all day long.

It's not a subtle change in my case. It's a night-and-day difference. I feel like one of those patients in the movie Awakenings who has just woken after decades of being in a catatonic state.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by alto on Tue, Jan-08-02, 15:29

What a fantastic story, Allison. Thank you for posting that. I'm sure it WILL help a lot of people. Not only because you've been so successful, but because you took the time and trouble to tell us your history. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will relate to what you've been through.

It's a beautiful success story -- good luck on the rest of your journey. I don't think I've seen a Journal for you; I hope you'll start one. Not only will we want to steal your meal ideas, but we'll want to read the end of the story.

14 comments [read all comments]

Article tools