Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 216.5/211/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Calling CoQ10 and L Carnitine users...

How much of these supplements do you take each day? Do you take them on a full or empty stomach? I did a search on CoQ10, and couldn't find usage levels; however I did see where some people take as much as 1500 mgs of L Carnitine..some on a full and some on an empty stomach. Any insights???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Hi Patte,
I take a formula by Vitamin World that has both in a single softgel cap: CoQ10, 30mg and L-Carnitine, 250mg. The instructions say to take one to two a day, preferably with a meal.
Best Wishes,
T.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:01

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I take 500mg L-Carnatine and 200mg of Alpha Lipoic acid daily. Plus 200mg of the CoQ10. I usually end up taking them on an empty stomach, but not on purpose, its just that I usually take them on the way to work before I've stopped to pick up my breakfast. I've been taking the first two since I saw an article about them in readers digest.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:05

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I take 120 mg of Co-Q-10 in the morning and 500 mg of L-carnitine 3 times a day, both with meals.

I swear by the L-carnitine (along with chromium and L-glutamine) for helping with cravings and munchies. When I decided to not take them (about a year ago this time of year) due to their expense I started back with bingeing behavior. Started taking them again - bingeing stopped.

Joan
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:14

Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

right before a meal- 250 mgs of Lcar is what i use
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:20

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I take 100 mg of Co-Q10 in the morning and at bedtime and I take ATkins Advantage (which has L Carnitine in it) in the morning. I read somewhere that CoQ10 is not absorbed unless there is fat present...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 216.5/211/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Wow. Thanks for all of the responses...although you're all across the board on this one. Perhaps I'll re-read DANDR to see what he says. I just starting taking these this week and had settled on 500 mgs of L Carnitine three times a day, and 100 mgs of CoQ10 once a day, but perhaps I'll have to refigure this.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:59
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Patte,
In Dr. Atkin's Vita-Nutrient Solution book, Page 246,
"Our need for CoQ10 supplements can be pronounced, especially after the age of forty, when we begin to make less of the nutrients. ----- 90mg a day is the bare minimum to get a therapeutic response. For cancer protection, 200-400 mg a day. Unpublished studies within the vitamin industry suggest that much of the commercially available CoQ10 is poorly absorbed or assimilated. Products labeled "hydrosoluble" are claimed to achieve significantly higher blood levels. If you find such a product, you may be able to get equivalent results with one-half the dose."

Concerning L-Carnitine: Page 191, "To make up for the carnitine gap, a supplement of between 500mg and 1 gram is the minimum amount we need to take for preventive purposes. For a heart problem, I normally recommend 1-2 grams daily. ----- People who get stuck on truly effective diets, such as Atkins diet, may need 1,500 -2,500 mg to break the log jam. To support the body's own synthesis, make sure you take additional amounts of vitamin C, lysine, methionine, iron, vitamin B3 and vitamin B6."

Neither article said anything about when to take or to take on a empty or full stomach.

I myself take L-Carnitine 1000mg and Chromium Picolinate 500mg 30 minutes before breakfast, and again 30 minutes before dinner. I take CoQ10 150mg once a day along with my other vits with my meals. I'm taking CoQ10 150mg just because the price was better at Costco, versus the 100mg of CoQ10 elsewhere.

I do this because I remember reading somewhere? that it's best to take the l-carnitine on a empty stomach.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 00:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! I read these and just about die. I'm taking probably 20 supplements a day. I have a feeling I'm just giving myself expensive pee. Then I read what you posted and it says take about another 20 supplements.

Arggh! I'm in the wrong business.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:57
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

As for myself I take 12 different supplements a day. Yes, I know I have expensive urine, but, I have the blood tests showing a marked improvement in my blood lipids. I feel better, mentally and physically. Both because of Atkins Diet change and the supplements. My skin and nails have improved. But, before I did any of this, I spend alot of time reading and researching before I bought the first thing.