Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-08, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/162/145 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 60%
Post Shake it Up

I am looking for a low carb-high protein TASTY shake that will satisfy: my craving for a sweet taste; able to have something on the run and that fulls me up.
Does such a creation exist out here in the hinterlands of Canada? It can be premixed (powder just add water type) or a creative recipe from one of you talented ones ...all would be welcomed!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 09:45
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I don't do any premade stuff, but here is a smoothie I have used in the past when I was not low carbing but it is low carb. It is not induction friendly.

1 scoop Unsweetened vanilla whey protein powder
1 c water
1/2 - 1 cup frozen berries
1 Tablespoon flax meal (not seeds)
1 teaspoon flax oil.
Stevia to taste

Mix in blender. When you use frozen berries this is really thick so you might want to increase the water a little. I use a magic bullet so I just whip the glass off the blender, put the fancy little ring on it and run.

Carb counts depend on you protein powder and berries.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Tons of useful recipes in the LowCarb Kitchen: Recipes Forums, and in the Kitchen Talk forum, too. Or you can add LC goodies to some of the premade ones, particularly vanilla protein powder, which is a premade "shake" product after all.

Lots of good quality premade stuff in the Health Food Stores, even GNC though they're expensive. Over here on the Island (talk about the hinterland!) there's even a store called Popeye's Supplements, mostly frequented by bodybuilders, but I'll go in there, that has a WALL of different protein powder ("shake") products available, and a goodly portion of them are low carb and sugar free. Some brand names to look for are: Iso-Whey, Designer Protein, Kaizen...they'll seem expensive but check the number of servings ... you've got to remind yourself that quality protein is expensive and nutrient deficient sugars and starches are cheap -- and fattening! Always check the nutrition facts and ingredients list on the back, don't go by the front. Whey Protein Isolate (vs. soy or other isolates) is top quality. 1 to 3g per serving max and you're on a roll.

The new fruity/clear ones are excellent! Performance Protein Fruit Blast comes to mind.

I've also found protein powders in London Drugs, Shopper's Drugmart and even the pharmacy and/or diabetic sections of Walmart and Zeller's.

No shortage of options here in the hinterland!

#4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 12:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/162/145 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thank-you thank-you IslandGirl and revcharlie.
Nice to know we are 'well stocked' especially when reading American postings with a plethora of goodies we don't have access to!
I'm ready to 'shake it up' with yummy recipes AND ready made for the crazy busy times of the day.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 18:09
revcharlie

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I suppose my location should read 'way north west Canada'. Most of what I use is available here on the northern coast but what isn't I can get in Terrace when I go there every couple of months. And there is always online. Actually got some Toriani SF syrups in Terrace last week at half price because the store was moving. When I asked at the local McD's if they had SF syrups for their new coffee drinks the response was "only in the States". McD's on the edge of the world - isn't that a hoot? I think it's probably because of the ferry, but the locals congregate there en masse.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 20:42

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

So ... revcharlie, exactly where are you (if you don't feel that's an invasion of privacy)? My daughter and sil both taught at Kitkatla, on Dolphin Island, for four years ... that seems to qualify as NW coast, and certainly isolated (float plane in and out), but Prince Rupert was where they shopped, not Terrace ... just curious (and maybe a tad nosy! )

Glenda
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 21:11
revcharlie

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Let's just say you can get a lot more 'stuff' in Terrace than you can in Prince Rupert. Even with three grocery stores it is very difficult to get some speciality items. And as for clothes or fabric or yarn or sewing supplies and craft supplies and the list goes on and on, you might as well forget it. In fact, I go to Calgary once a year to visit siblings and Southern Ontario about once a year to visit children and I leave here with a 'big city' shopping list.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 01:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Wo, Glenda, my fave cousin (the RN with a specialty in diabetes care) has just been assigned to Kitkatla, on a 6-week in and out rotation!

I'm thinking, roadtrip!!!

#9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 23:51

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Wo, Glenda, my fave cousin (the RN with a specialty in diabetes care) has just been assigned to Kitkatla, on a 6-week in and out rotation! I'm thinking, roadtrip!!!

Sorry to be so dang slow on the uptake Jude! We managed to get up there for a visit once, spent three days on the island, and it reminded me SO MUCH of the rural area where I grew up! YES!!! You CAN go home again!!!!! It's a beautiful island, undeveloped and unspoiled, just as nature made it -- at least that's how it was when we were there, and small enough that you walk wherever you're going. Very few cars and NO gas stations!!!

By the way, be sure to book a room in PR for the night you get up there or all you'll hear is "No Vacancy ... it's Ferry Night, ya know!!" Same thing in Port Hardy!!