Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 05:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Vegan turned Nazi: food connection?

I am being perfectly serious.

Quote:
The Making of an American Nazi

How did Andrew Anglin go from being an antiracist vegan to the alt-right’s most vicious troll and propagandist—and how might he be stopped?

I think it's perfectly logical to ask how the notable nutritional deficiencies of the vegan diet might affect someone's brain. The article describes hate speech and threats, so you have been warned.

But his origins were very different:

Quote:
In high school, Anglin was a vegan and took progressive stances on various issues. ...

Anglin was one of only two vegans at Linworth, and before long he began dating the other, a brunette named Alison in the class ahead of him, whom he wooed by baking vegan cookies. She was a popular girl who introduced him to a diverse and edgy clique of kids. To them, Anglin seemed sweet and funny, if a little too eager to latch on to causes. Alison was deeply into animal rights. Suddenly, he was too.

This excellent article details how modern diets can lack important brain nutrients. And I am reminded of all the people we have seen on this site, sharing how their moods, even their mental conditions, improved on low carb.

Quote:
All these vitamins were consumed in very high levels in primitive diets. Today, due to disastrous dietary advice, most people avoid the dietary sources of these critical nutrients—egg yolks, butter, organ meats, meat fats, goose and chicken liver, cod liver oil, fish eggs and oily fish, and some fermented foods like sauerkraut.

Violent Behavior: A Solution in Plain Sight

But what came to mind specifically was B vitamins, especially B12, which is notoriously difficult to get without animal products, leading to vegan claims that a) that's a lie or b) supplementation is FINE.

Quote:
Vitamin B12 deficiency has a well-known correlation with mental disorders, including irrational anger. A higher incidence of low B12 is found in mental patients than in the general population. Deficiencies cause mental symptoms ranging from poor concentration, depression and severe agitation to hallucinations. Deficiencies are caused by pernicious anemia, an autoimmune condition; they are also found in vegetarians and vegans, those with low animal protein intake, and individuals with leaky gut. Drugs including anesthetics can deplete vitamin B12.

The ironic thing about the vegan diet is that, without paying careful attention and supplementing, it is disastrous, and even with this kind of granular attention, there's problems that won't happen for a while... until the body's stores of such vitamins are depleted.

B12 deficiency is known for creating a particular combination of irrational thinking and a fanatical devotion to such thinking.

Sound familiar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 06:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It's certainly possible. I do think it's clear that this isn't simply a matter of a hateful individual, he's clearly mentally ill. Although I think hate can be as much a mood disorder as mania or depression or anxiety, just one that it's a lot harder to sympathize with.

It's hard to be sure about something like this, unless somebody actually manages to diagnose him with a b12 deficiency, and supplementing reverses all this stuff. The article mentions a lot of drugs as a teen, that can be a factor, and the timing of these awful behaviours is right in the prime years for psychosis, it's sort of hard to say that his brain wouldn't have gone sproing on the standard diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 07:41

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

We know that diet plays a role in our mood so it is not unreasonable to conjecture about the role that a vegan diet may have play in the development of a personality and philosophy based on hate. Clearly it can't be the only factor or all vegans would be nazis, which they are not. But hatred begets hatred. People can choose to eat a vegan diet and that is perfectly OK. Who am I to judge? It's when they profess moral superiority that my hackles are raised or scientific certainty. Kindness and openness should go both ways, meat eaters towards vegans and vegans towards meat eaters. Maybe if we listened to each other rather than find reasons to condemn each other we could all come to a better understanding and acceptance of why people make the choices they make. This does not mean we should accept professions of hatred.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 12:21

BF:

Oh, I wasn't saying we should ban veganism to get rid of our hate problem

I just find it interesting that vegans are so strident and uncompromising. Perhaps it takes such dedication in a world that does not make their lifestyle easy, but on the other hand, the world does not make low carb easy, either

I think we have only begun to understand how nutrition helps or hurts our brains.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 19:11

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think we have only begun to understand how nutrition helps or hurts our brains.

That’s the truth! I find with one of my boys the less carbs he eats, the better his focus. Fortunately, he now believes it too and has really cut back on his bread, sugar, and French fries.. He’s now at college doing quite well completely med free. Also, another of our boys suffered from seizures as a young child. I remember when he was a baby and I would take him and his big sister to McDonalds. I would buy one burger for them to split. She would eat the plain hamburger and he would eat the bun. Come to find out that the ketogenic diet is actually a treatment for children with epilepsy. Could all those carbs have caused his seizures? On the other hand, I’ve had other kids who loved carbs, but he’s the only one with seizures so I suppose there must be some genetic component.

I personally believe that carb overload contributes to overall poor brain health.

Also, I believe that Hitler was a vegetarian. Im reasonably certain he was both evil and insane before he was a vegetarian, but it’s interesting to speculate about a possible vicious circle: i.e. maybe he developed an aversion to meat precisely because something in his brain was so off. And maybe the more nutionally deficient he became, the more warped he got. Or maybe what food he preferred had nothing to do with his warped mind. Who knows?

ETA: lots of vegetarians and vegans on my husband’s side of the family. I would say there’s a very strong personality type on that side too, but the personality seems to be there irrespective of vegetarianism/veganism. Also lots of depression and schizophrenia on that side. Very different type of personality runs strongly on my side of the family but zero vegetarians - in fact we are carnivores who seek out very rare beef. No depression, but lots of alcoholism on my side.

Eta2. Not saying at all that vegetarians are mentally ill. But I am wondering if genetic predispositions toward mental illnesses can be exacerbated by our diets.

Last edited by tess9132 : Sun, Nov-19-17 at 00:09.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-17, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I personally believe that carb overload contributes to overall poor brain health.

The entire premise of Grain Brain was exactly that. And it is now accepted theory that mental illness has a giant environmental component; even identical twins don't develop depression or schizophrenia at the same rate.

Stress is a huge factor, and over-sugaring our brains, then soaking it in insulin probably qualifies.

I know that the most striking thing about what vegans eat is the enormous amount of grains and sugar. I cannot eat the vegan soup of the day at our local deli. It is like spooning up a bowl of maple syrup.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-17, 08:46

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

Something that hadn’t occurred to me until last night was that even though there’s lots of depression in the family, schizophrenia exists only among the vegetarians. I know mental illness is not that simple, but hmmmm...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-17, 09:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Schizophrenia is something like 50 percent concordant in identical twins, if your twin has schizophrenia, you're 50 times as likely to be schizophrenic as the general population. One parent, 6 percent, two parents 25 percent.

If you consider mental illness in general, the concordance with two parents gets stronger. The study written up here puts probability of some psychiatric diagnosis at around 67 percent, the probability of a "related" disorder (schizoaffective, paranoid etc.) at 40 percent.

https://www.schizophreniaforum.org/...ring-skyrockets

The show please like me once quoted a statistic on bipolar, I can't find the source, but I've seen it. How's that for a reference? Anyways, the quote was that 80 percent of people who were bipolar had at least one parent who was bipolar. But if a bipolar person had children, only 10 percent would be bipolar. Things are likely to be skewed by the fact that if your parent is in the system, you're more likely to be in the system--I'm third generation undiagnosed schizo-affective-ish.

Even at that first cell division, identical twins aren't identical, unless there was perfect symmetry in that division. Who knows? One twin could get somewhat crummier mitochondria, on average. Or something.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-17, 11:06

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:

I have no problem saying we should ban vegan lifestyle
Truly not the path of life as it evolved. It harms. It never heals.

Mental illness I am sure tho is a major part of all this!