Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:32
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Carbohydrate count for acetaminophen

Does anyone know the acetaminophen count for 1 serving of acetaminophen or where I might find such information?

1 serving for me equals : 2-500mg store brand (Shoppers Drug Mart Life Brand) acetaminophen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Unless you're eating the stuff like candy I really don't think Tylenol will hurt you carb wise!! As for the count... don't know...I wonder if there is a web site for medication carb counts... would be interesting!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:10
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbjo
Unless you're eating the stuff like candy I really don't think Tylenol will hurt you carb wise!! As for the count... don't know...I wonder if there is a web site for medication carb counts... would be interesting!!

I do take a lot of them for my arthritis pain and was just curious about the carb count. They do bind them with starch. I take around 6 a day.

I know it seems picky but I have been searching the web for info and have not found anything. I even emailed the Tylenol company for info this morning.

I would think diabetics might need this info so I figured there HAD to be something out there.

(My mom was a type 2 diabetic)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:21

Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'll be really interested to hear what they have to say... be sure to post again when you hear back from them!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:30

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I wouldn't worry about Tylenol, Aspirin, and such, since there is so little Carbs. TUMS [which can be used as a source of Calcium] OTOH should be limited. Regular Strength TUMS = 0.75g each, and EXTRA STRENGTH have about 1.5g each, mainly because the first ingredient is Sucrose [WHITE SUGAR.] I used to pop TUMS like Pez, because they tasted so good. It's basically: Sugar, Calcium Based Baking Soda Substitute, Cornstarch, Talc, Mineral Oil, Flavors, Dyes, etc...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:01
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
I wouldn't worry about Tylenol, Aspirin, and such, since there is so little Carbs.

I just find it strange that the information cannot be found *anywhere*.

I have looked all over the internet for it.

A few years ago I had a carb counter book that listed the carbs in OTC medications but I cannot find that either. Darn.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 03:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 220/177/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Exclamation

6 a day every day sounds like an awful lot of Tylenol to me.....Tylenol carries with it the side effect of liver toxicity, and even though the bottle may say you can have up to 8 in 24 hours, the cumulative effect could potentially destroy your liver. You might want to rethink taking that much Tylenol on a daily basis and maybe switch to something like ibuprofen. I strongly suggest you discuss this with your doctor.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

from drugstore.com ...
Quote:
Extra Strength Tylenol Caplets, 500 mg each

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: each caplet contains: Acetaminophen 500mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)

Inactive Ingredients: Cellulose, Corn Starch, FD&C Red #40, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene Glycol, Sodium Starch Glycolate

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp25749_3...ver_reducer.htm

I just happen to have a bottle of extra-strength Tylenol caplets .. and a postage scale that weighs in 1-gram increments. It took 11 pills to make the 6-gram mark (6000mg). ... 6000 ÷ 11 = 545mg per pill. Since each pill contains 500mg acetaminophen, that means the added "inactive ingredients" in each pill is roughly 45mg .. which is 0.045 grams .. and of that, only a small amount is starch. Cellulose and methylcellulose are fiber, and starch glycolate is an inorganic acid (likely added to adjust the pH for optimal absorption).

I really wouldn't worry at all about the carbs in those pills.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Catpetunia has a good point about taking chronic acetaminophen (paracetamol in other countries) and liver damage. You shouldn't take more than 8 extra-strength tablets in any 24 hr period, nor should you take them for more than 10 days without consulting your doctor. Definitely do NOT drink any alcohol while you're taking acetaminophen! (and vice versa ... meaning don't use it for a hangover headache!!)

It's true that acetaminophen can provide occasional symptomatic relief from arthritis aches and pains. But it has no anti-inflammatory properties whatsoever, and so doesn't address the underlying cause of your pain. NSAID drugs such as OTC ibuprofen and naproxen (Aleve) might be a better choice .. of course they have side effects of their own. Definitely you should consult your doctor and together work out a pain management plan. Your pharmacist may also have some helpful suggestions.

For long term relief of arthritis pain and joint inflammations, you might consider using MSM or chondroitin supplements .. you can read more about those at http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/ .. Glucosamine is helpful for many people, however it can have undesirable effects on blood sugar and insulin sensitivity .. read more about that here. Diabetics should not use glucosamine, or at least not without consulting their doctor.

And one last note ... many members have reported great relief from their arthritis with low-carbing. Not just from weight loss, which certainly will ease the stress on your weight-bearing joints .. but also because insulin spikes and insulin resistance problems are associated with increased inflammation. Getting your insulin under control will help relieve this.

hth,

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 09:32

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, nice work Doreen!

M
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Whenever I want the carb count for a medicine or supplement I call the company. If they dont have a number, I find a company that offers a similar formulation that has a number.