Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-22, 09:54

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I take vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 together with a meal that contains fat. My hematologist had me take 4000 iu's of vitamin D3 when my bloodwork showed that I was low. I added the K2 after reading that it helps the D get to the bones and stay out of the other tissues and arteries. It is sometimes hard for me to find the K2 so I was pleased to find last week that NatureMade has a new soft gel that has both vitaminD3 and vitaminK2 in one soft gel. (D3 5000iu and K2 100mcg).

I may adjust this in the summer as I am out in the sun alot mowing, but during the winter months I am not outside much to get any D.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-22, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can buy d3 and k2 together. I've heard the MK7 type of k2 is best. Of course if you eat natto, and certain other foods, you can get k2 naturally and more than one variety of K2.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-22, 16:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr Stephen lin a dentist was my intro to k2. His focus was teeth and jaw integrity.

K2 puts calcium into the bone structures. A different job than k1. A different job than D2/D3.

My take away was that we usually get adequate Ca via a good diet but K2 and D3 are lacking. Due to diet and living indoors. A good diet doesn't provide enough of either of these.

Calcium deposition into bone, rather than arteries, is dependant on many cofactors in a long biochemical process, requiring Vit D3 and K2.

We are not a species that converts K1 to K2. We need to eat those animal sources that can do this, it take a pill for. Our body makes 3from D2 when exposure to sunlight is good. Since we live in doors, only a couple populations around the world get enough D3, so again supplementing is required via pills.

Loved Dr Lins book. Great for us common people on keeping our jaws and teeth truly healthy. Diet and chewing matters. ( Starts with breast feeding to expand the palate properly. In cultures that still breast feed, the children don't need braces because the teeth fit into the expanded palate and fit in straight )

My mother added K2 , and after a year got off Fozamax. At 87. She was growing bone.

Just my two cents.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-22, 16:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You can buy d3 and k2 together. I've heard the MK7 type of k2 is best. Of course if you eat natto, and certain other foods, you can get k2 naturally and more than one variety of K2.

Making natto is on my to do list. It's an acquired taste apparently. Something I can live with, hopefully.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-22, 04:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This morning, Marty Kendall posted an update/new article on Vitamin K, titled Highest Vitamin K1 Foods. In his usual thorough style, it also has links to more articles on K2, deficiencies, toxicity, etc.
Posts #13 and #15 above have his articles on Vit K, its Nutrient Density, and Vitamin K2 foods. Lots to read with overlaps, but if you want to avoid supplements and use foods…all interesting reads.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/hig...pes/#more-37987

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Dec-17-22 at 04:40.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-22, 06:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Muenster cheese has become a staple since I love it and it's the cheese highest in K.