Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/150
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sorry so late responding! I was off for a few days. I really cannot remember how to make the "cookies" so I guess I'm not going to be that helpful. I will tell you that it was little more than the grounded psyllium, melted butter to make it stick and some cinamon (?) maybe and water. You mixed it all up, dolloped it out on c ookie sheet and baked it for like 10-15 minutes. Then you eat them when you need it. Believe me, they weren't tasty or anything. It was plain desperation!

After my original post, I started with the big D myself. I couldn't believe it. After I ate it was like a faucet running out of me. THat only lasted a couple days and now I guess I am tending to be more normal. I do eat a lot of cheese. This is the only way I can get through with this WOE. I can't stop that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 20:35
Registered Member

Stats: 267/224/170
BF:
Progress: 44%

Just after I thought I conquered the constipation thing, the doc called today and said that I must start taking 325mg of Iron Sulfate 3X per day (the result of some followup blood tests)!!! It sent a chill up my spine remembering the days 16 years ago when I was pregnant and took iron...

Things work fine with psyllium husts 2X a day, the bottle says 3x is the maximum. Hopefully that will be enough to keep things moving, but I sincerely doubt it.

I drink about 84-96oz of water, exercise daily and eat fresh spinach 2x per day as a salad base.

If anyone has any other suggestions, especially when you are REQUIRED to take iron supplements, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about them.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 07:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiya Jbee,

You might want to start a new thread so that everyone can see your question. Do you really *have* to take those iron suppliments? One problem is that the bulking agents taken to counteract the constipation *inhibit* iron absorption. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 15:42
Registered Member

Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%

Hi Jibee

The old standby "mineral oil". Less toxic on your system than laxatives and may help stop the binding in the first place.

My daughter had serious constipation problems. I tried changing diet, suppositories and everything else I could find. A few doses of mineral oil and the problem went away and hasn't be seen since. (7 years)

Good Luck.

What were your hemaglobin results? Do you have other health problems? Is the doctor investigating the anemia or have you recently lost a lot of blood? Was this a routein blood panel or a more through examination?

I was low iron for many years - iron tablets made my hemaglobin go up too high and had to stop taking them. Started eating less meat but more spinach and the problem corrected itself. From my laymens understanding some people have problems absorbing the iron in meat but do OK with dark leafy vegetables. At least with the vegetable route you won't exasperate the "other" problem.

Hope this helps

Vonnovich