Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 21:23

Plan: I make a decision to eat or not eat something considering the carb count.
Stats: 253/202/190
BF:
Progress: 81%
Talking Heartburn?

This is a fact...before I started low carbing, I used to take Tagement or something similar several days a week. Since I started LCing, I have not had heartburn once. I started in April 2000 and lost 45 pounds. What gives? I have been eating all the stuff that I thought gave me heartburn.

Also, I haven't been sick since I started low carbing...am I imagining things or just lucky? Anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 22:23

Plan: protein power
Stats: 182/171/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Lightbulb

You are not alone in the positive effects LCing has on heartburn! I have suffered from increasingly bad heartburn for years. I have tried every method of dealing with it (finally becoming "immune" to all remedies except bicarb. soda-not very healthy...). The only thing that has worked is the low-carb diet. Now I can sleep through the night, and laying down, too!

Yes, it is definitely the diet
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 01:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Aha! Now you have truly discovered what it was that gave you heartburn.

Heartburn, thy name is carbohydrates!

I still catch colds, but others have reported incredible immune system functioning!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 08:27

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Acid reflux no more...This way of eating certainly cured mine. Although I still do not fully understand why..
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 08:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

So far it's been 10 months without a cold or heartburn for me either. DH has had a few colds last year, however this was the first time I didn't catch them
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 18:38

Plan: I make a decision to eat or not eat something considering the carb count.
Stats: 253/202/190
BF:
Progress: 81%

Thank you for your comments and letting me know that I am not crazy. My wife (who doesn't LC) is still experiencing heartburn. She refuses to believe that low carbing and eating the foods that "cause" her heartburn, has stopped mine. Well, we used to split up a bottle of Tums, now they are all hers.

BTW, I just got my blood work up and physcial results today. Everything was better than it has ever been. My doctor thinks that the combination of LCing and my weight loss was the reason. He cautioned me to take a break from LCing for a couple of weeks, which I wondered about. I asked him why and he really didn't have a good answer other than to say that my body could use "a rest". I think that he is afraid to admit that LCing not only helped me lose weight, but has also made me healthier. Are a lot of doctors just skeptical and afraid to admit it???
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 20:17
Pending Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 208/192/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Talking

Isn't it great? I posted a few days ago about the same effect! I have a hiatal hernia, and used to have bad reflux. Took Pepcid twice a day. I have been Pepcid free now for a little over a month!...as long as I have been on the diet! Yeah! Tell your wife, that LC works to rid of the horrible heartburn
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Ditto here on the reflux issue. I have been taking Prilosec daily for about 4 years and now I only take a pill every 3-4 days. I found out that one of my problems (along with the carbs) were tomatoes. I had tried the no-carb ketchup a couple of weeks ago and came up with heartburn that night. It wasn't nearly as bad as normal, but it made me decide that tomatoes (although I really love 'em) are not really needed (or in very small amounts) on my WOE.

I am just so tickled that I can stop taking my Prilosec soon!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 22:54

Plan: Still trying to figure out which plan to use.
Stats: 251/243/185
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Heartburn no more?

This is interesting. I'm glad to see so many people getting rid of their heartburn and discomfort.

I have had more heartburn since I started low-carb (10 days now). Did others who have seen their heartburn go away experience more of it early on, or did it just go away?

Mine is still there, and is worse now that I am LCing.

Any ideas?

DannyBoy
240 lbs
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 08:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

DannyBoy..

keep a journal of what you are eating along with the carb content of each food. Note when you experience heartburn and note what you ate. This will help you pinpoint which foods are causing it. Carbs are not the only thing that can cause heartburn, food sensitivities can also (dairy and eggs being two big offenders). Most (not all) people experience a major increase in heartburn or reflux symptoms when low carbing, many report that it goes away completely. If it doesn't then something else is the culprit. Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 08:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

OOPS! I said major INCREASE, but meant to day major DEcrease in heartburn symptoms. Sorry if I confused anyone!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 09:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
OOPS! I said major INCREASE, but meant to day major DEcrease in heartburn symptoms. Sorry if I confused anyone!
Thanks for the helpful tips Lisa

So, here's a tip from me You may go back and edit or make corrections to your own messages for up to 48 hrs, by using the edit button, at the bottom right of all your posts.

Doreen