Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 06:59

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I'm no expert but...

I have found in my several years of researching low-carb living that it makes a difference how the meat you eat was raised. Feed lot beef, for example, has more saturated fat than grass-fed beef, which has more Omega 3's (there is a web-site called Eat Wild that explains it in detail).

I am fortunate enough to have a farm nearby that raises grass-fed beef. The meat is much leaner and has a very different taste than what we buy at the store. My understanding is that this is more in line with what our ancestors ate. I find it interesting that the meat tastes different and has less fat, just by changing the animals diet. While they are pastured, the farmer certainly doesn't make them do calisthenics! Hmmm...leaner, just by eating the proper foods...

I've also found that with the grass-fed beef, I prefer the fattier cuts, I think that is what my body wants. I feel good after eating it, as opposed to the unnatural desire for starchy carbs that will result in feeling REALLY bad.

I would like to hear Cordain's opinion on grass-fed beef. Also, more than one piece of fruit a day will stop my weight loss, so I'm with Audette there.

Don't know anything about whey protein (ugh! ) but I do remember reading that you CAN get too much vitamin D, but don't remember where, sorry.

Amy