Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

AshleyJ: Snacks are hard, especially if you are used to eatting cookies, cakes, chips, etc..hah they all started with a "c"...sorry if that also made you want them, but what I SNACK ON it VEGGIES: espeically cabbage...but if you want something a little more "meaty" try cutting egplant into semi-thin rounds, spicing them up with oregeno, garlic or any seasoning you desire and popin em in the microwave for lets say 4 min on high, let them cool, and there is a NICE MUSHY SNACK, its so good....(salt is needed of course!) other snacks: cabbage and mustard.....bell peppers and mustard....lettuce and mustard...I think you get the point that mustard serves as my dressing, i mean you cant beat a condiment that has 0-5 calories per TBS!!!!! Hope these help a little bittt!!
-Gigi
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 22:08

Plan: LC
Stats: 295/256/180 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey..Another College Student here. I'm in induction so salad and water are my foods of choice. Sucks when you're eating cafeteria food though..lol
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-06-05, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

ELouisiana: put some deli sliced turkey on that salad and use mustard as your salad dressing! dont be afraid to have a NICE HUGE SALAD either, have you ever heard of someone dying from a veggie overload? I dont think so!!
Good Luck!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 18:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/250/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

my school has a LOT of healthy options, and very easy to accomodate the weright eating decisions of many.

I luckilly live off campus so I can cook and experiment with a lot of low-carb cookbooks. Today for example I made an egg, ground beef, and mixed vegetable casserole (it smells SOO GOOD), and I also made Califlower Potatoes. With the potatoes, I'm going to be having Schniders Meatballs. I also made my own dressing (Vinegar, oil, spices and lemon juice, and a bit of a whirl), and ketchup (tomato paste (w/tomatoes as the only ingredient) a touch of splenda a few shakes of worchestershire sauce, and spices again). A bit of a gourmet I am!

I wasn't sure if on Atkins if we could have real Ketchup or Real saladressing, so hence I made my own - unfortantly the supermarket near me doesn' have Carb Options as an options (which is good, to have in a pantry as carp options are made with Splenda and real fat products like hellmans!)

this whole 2 cups salad veggies, 3 cups salad thing, is this PER MEAL? Lunch and Dinner time I can do it, but breakky is a whole different matter (except ironically this week, as I'm having turkey chicken bacon sandwichs with iceberg and romaine lettuce)..
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 10:54

Stats: 142/125/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not in college yet (Sept.) but I find if I have to go somewhere things like cheese sticks/greek salad in tupperware/sandwich meats/bottled water and so on work nicely for lunches.

Sure, bread/cookies keep well but...so does cardboard
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-06, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 181/170/138 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have recently graduated in 2004, and am now in Graduate School for my Masters Degree. I have found that there are a TON of thigs we can eat anytime. If there are sandwiches...eat the meat lettuce, cheese - leave off the bread. There is always Diet Pop available.

Even when my fiance and I go out to eat, I can always order a salad before hand, a grilled chicken breast, pork chops, and if I'm feeling really crazy - I will order the bacon cheeseburger w/o bun.

Once and a while, I do have a LC snack bar of some sort. My favorite ones are from EAS called 'Advant Edge' Cookies and Cream. They are DELICIOUS. But I only allow myself 2 bars every 10 days.You can put them in the freezer for a great treat after working out.

One way to never feel out of place when LC'ing is to recruit a best friend or family member to do it with you. My Mom is LC'ing, and we talk on the phone about different things we've tried, good restaurants to go to, and also how much we've LOST!!!

I love this lifestyle, and have not felt deprived yet

Good luck to all the other students out there.

Regards,

Erin
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-22-06, 13:13
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

for induction the two cups leafy greens and one cup low carb veggies is per day, not per meal
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ Stillman's
Stats: 178/166/135 Female 5'5
BF:29%/29%/18%
Progress: 28%

Hey guys, I was wondering if 85% Belgium Dark Chocolate is okay. We have a World Market near campus and the nutritional info on that say that there's 2.2 grams of carbs per square. It's incredibly strong, and the taste is sweet in the beginning, but very bitter at the end.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 19:29

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I just want to say... I did this during college and still am. It's totally doable. Just try to stay away from the pizza, beer, and ramen and you're good to go.

I substituted ramen with cans of green beans as my poor college student food of choice.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 20:31

Stats: 225/197/125 Female 69
BF:30.5%/26.7%/18.5%
Progress: 28%

Just wanted to let people know that not only can you do LC in college, you can do it in Post-Grad too! I'm in vet school and also doing it in a foreign country (in The Caribbean) so there are challenges with getting ingredients/products that are readily available in the US/Canada/UK

You can do it!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 17:46

Plan: mine
Stats: -/-/- Male 178
BF:
Progress: 100%

Marshmallow do have sugar. 81 grams per 100 grams.
This means that 87% of calories of marshmallow comes from sugar
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-11, 23:17

Plan: Maximized Living
Stats: 153/143/125 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:23.7
Progress: 36%

Well, I'm glad it's working for you. I am a college student and I just started my plan over the summer so I'm preparing for how I'm going to have to organize things. My plan cuts out all sweetners except for xylitol and stevia so it's going to be pretty tricky, but I will have a full kitchen to use and I bought a blender/food processor and a george foreman like grill to use.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-11, 23:26

Plan: Maximized Living
Stats: 153/143/125 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:23.7
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel17
Hey guys, I was wondering if 85% Belgium Dark Chocolate is okay. We have a World Market near campus and the nutritional info on that say that there's 2.2 grams of carbs per square. It's incredibly strong, and the taste is sweet in the beginning, but very bitter at the end.

try this instead http://drjohns.com/
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-11, 15:45

Plan: Semi-strict Paleo?
Stats: 200/200/200 Male 5 ft 8 in
BF:
Progress:

I'm in college and my cafeteria is terrible. If your prospective college uses Sodexho food services, try your best to live off campus. They are out of real eggs more often than they have them, instead they make you omelets with some neon yellow goo from a plastic bag. They love serving turkey bacon and turkey sausage because it's cheap, mostly filler, and no one eats it. The "chinese food" area is actually just stir fried veggies in 100% sugar sauce with tofu or seitan, no actual nutritious real chinese foods like meat or organs.

There's so much more, but just try to avoid them if you can, guys.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-13, 20:48

Plan: all
Stats: 75/70/60 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the tips .. big help for me.

regards,
Jhimson