Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default eating disorder, HELP NOW!

Hi everyone,

I'm getting more and more convinced that I have an eating disorder. After eating junk at night for several days, mostly chocolate, I did great today until about 4:30 and then started the eating binge. I would up eating almost a wholE bag of Hershey's kisses with almonds. I put all the chocolate out in my husband's car but he had it unlocked. After I ate my dad's bag of chocolate, I had to go to the car and get the same bag to replace my dad's which I took out of his drawer. I'm even "stealing" the stuff.

Is this unusual behavior or does everyone behave in this odd manner with certain foods. Honestly, I'd rather eat candy and chocolate than real food right now, even though I feel terrible afterwards, which is every day. I just can't seem to break this cycle. I'm wondering if I need to go to OA or something. I've been coming here and the support is great but wondering if I need a therapist or something. I'm really out of control.

I hope to hear from someome NOW.

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Grandma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You are binging because your insulin levels are sky high! You also might be allergic to chocolate which makes you crave more of the very thing you are allergic to. Once insulin levels are high from a binge it takes three days of strict CADing before craving goes away. The difficulty is completing three days!

Try to get through three days of CAD and forbid anyone to bring chocolate into the house. You will go through withdrawals big time but it will be worth it to come out the other side.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:

Crikey, Zuleika's posted ahead of me!

Well yeah, what Z said.

You're on the CAD plan. You have read the book, right?

I believe they (Hellers) recount stories of people who are compulsive eaters of carbohydrates (of course chocolate being a source). As does Atkins, and the Eades.

You're not mad and you don't need a therapist. If the Hellers are to be believed (and we wouldn't be here if we weren't at least a bit curious), there is a biological basis for your behaviour. The carbohyrdrate-insulin rebound connection.

And of course, they say that following CAD is the solution to this biological problem with the carbs.

If you read widely from LC books, you'll find your problem is far more common that you might believe.

I'm sure it's problems such as yours that have made people search for a solution in low carbing.

So you're not as mad as a total madman. That's something to take into a happier New Year!

(HNY to you also, BTW).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default How do I do this?

Thanks Zuelikaa,

I need help with the next few days. Wednesday, New Year's Day we are celebrating my husband's birthday with cake, ice cream, chips & dip, party tray (meats and cheese), etc. So there will be problem foods in the house again. On Friday we are having company and they always expect a sweet dessert. We go to eachother's homes, and everyone fixes a luscious homemade dessert. On Saturday we're going out for dinner, just my husband and I, to celebrate his birthday. All of these food occasions are getting overwhelming, expecially because my insulin is out of control and I don't have a chance to let it settle before another festivity arises.

Right now, there is about 7 lbs. of chocolate out in my husband's car,, which is unlocked and I know it's there. I tried to get it out of the house. I hate to throw it all away because I'll get yelled at. I can't give it away to my sister, who loves close by because she has a bit of a chocolate problem too. It's like a cocaine addict having cocaine just outside the door.

Resisting right now seems almost impossible. We also have ice cream, Christmas cookies, pecan pie, chocolate sauce and cheesecake here, leftover from Christmas. I feel like I'm swimming in sugar, and chocolate, with no way out.

Thanks again,

Grandma
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 20:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:

The Hellers talk about this in CAD.

You have tough choices really. No way out.

I think the best thing for you to do is follow the plan. So you can have the nice stuff in your one hour.

As for other people, you'll have to explain to them that you're on a diet you want to commit yourself to.

If they pressurise you and deliberately tempt you from the plan, they're not very good friends.

There's no easy way out.

Remember Donna's story in CAD? She just wasn't committed to her weightloss. She refused to add the CAD plan into her life.

I'm sorry to say this, but you'll have to do your best to build this CAD plan into your life.

CAD is full of stories of people who have built the plan into their lives.

If people around you won't be supportive of your choices, you have to question their characters.

As for sweet treats, they can be had in your Reward Meal.

Awkward, maybe.

But that's a personal choice you'll have to make. You can put the plan off, but you seem quite distressed. I think you should move to it as soon as is feasible.

If you follow the plan, the difficulty you have resisting the chocolates will diminish. Remember that. That's the purpose of CAD.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 21:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks Atkid

Thanks Atkid,

The holidays are really difficult for me every year. I love Christmas, and having my family around but all the food, really gets me into a tizzy. I am feeling quite poorly tonight having eaten so much chocolate. I'm not sure if eating sugary foods at RM is a good idea for me because they seem to trigger binge eating. Once I start eating them, I can't seem to stop. I think I have an allergy to sugar, chocolate and artificial sweeteners. I know I feel much better when I stick to complex carbs at RM but right now I'm having a dickens of a time getting back on the plan for the reasons I listed.

Yes I've read CAD, CALP and almost every other LC book on the market. I really want to do CAD and do it right, but right now my insulin is out of control and with all the eating occasions, and entertaining I have to do, I'm really struggling to get back on the program.

Thanks for listening. Hope things are going well for you. I'll spend some time praying tonight because that always helps me. In fact that's what I'll do right now.

Happy New year and blessings to all.

Grandma (in May 2003), My daughter is having a boy!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 01:48

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Grandma,

If you honestly feel that you simply CANNOT do it because of these events, then maybe you should just let your mind at ease and take a quick break.

Just be aware that you will probably gain weight and you will most likely feel ill a lot if overload yourself.

The best thing would be to do CAD religiously for at least 3 days as suggested above, but if you seriously feel that it wreak mental havoc to do so, maybe a quick time out is in order.

If you do take a break, please continue to post here, it will guarantee your return to CAD.

Anyways, I hope your New Years goes well!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 12:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Grandma
Cassie is right. If the new year and this coming weekend is going to be a total loss then accept it as such and resolve to start a strict CAD monday. Don't beat yourself up about it. Have a last hurrah and accept the consequences of your actions.

After that you will have some hell to go through for at least three days. During that time, don't deviate from a simple, strict CAD one iota. If you do (i.e. yogurt, shakes), you will never conquer your addiction and related insulin levels.

In the end, you are the only one who holds power over your actions. It's your choice, your actions, your consequences.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.