Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 02:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Thank you! to everyone

Hi everyone... I just want to thank everyone and particularly the owner, the moderators, the contributers, and the faithful members who have been posting each day for years and keeping this forum alive.

It is honestly the best possible resource for people who're genuinely determined to take their weight in hand and stick with a sustainable diet.

The many resources, research information, support, friendship, advice, willingness to share and help, generosity and kindness feel precious and it's such a privilege that anyone and everyone is welcomed to this special place, and supported with their own individual journey.

So from the heart, I want to say thankyou! and well done.. because you're all awesome!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 07:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Totally agree. This is my go-to discussion forum, and has been for many, many years (maybe close to 20?).

THANK YOU!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 09:50

BF:

Bawdy Wench, that's amazing, 20 years!You look wonderful in your profile picture, by the way: glowing with health. This way of life obviously suits you perfectly.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-20, 03:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Actually, we're coming up to our 20'th anniversary ... the doors were thrown open to the world wide web on October 29, 2000 !

Memories of the earliest days of this forum include "Splenda sightings" from around the US. Although Splenda had been available in Canada and Australia since the early '90s it wasn't approved for sale in America until late '99. So there were many excited "I saw Splenda at a WalMart in SomeSmallTown, USA!!" in Y2K

So much has changed since then, from scientific validation and advancement of low-carb/ketogenic diets to the availability of products. Some changes however are moving along at the speed of a glacier, especially acceptance of the science by policy makers. Sigh.

Keep up the good work, everyone

#5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-20, 06:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Bawdy Wench, that's amazing, 20 years!You look wonderful in your profile picture, by the way: glowing with health. This way of life obviously suits you perfectly.

Aww, shucks. Doreen says the forum started in October 2000, so I probably joined around 2002. Thanks for the compliment, but after 18 years on the forum and more than 20 years living the low-carb lifestyle, I'm now 20 pounds heavier than when I started. Just goes to show nothing in life is easy. You have to work diligently toward your goals. That's why this forum is so great. Even when you stray, you can come back here and be welcomed with open arms. I'm forever learning new approaches, new science, and new ideas from reading all the posts here. Very thankful for everyone here.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 02:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
Actually, we're coming up to our 20'th anniversary ... the doors were thrown open to the world wide web on October 29, 2000 !

Memories of the earliest days of this forum include "Splenda sightings" from around the US. Although Splenda had been available in Canada and Australia since the early '90s it wasn't approved for sale in America until late '99. So there were many excited "I saw Splenda at a WalMart in SomeSmallTown, USA!!" in Y2K

So much has changed since then, from scientific validation and advancement of low-carb/ketogenic diets to the availability of products. Some changes however are moving along at the speed of a glacier, especially acceptance of the science by policy makers. Sigh.

Keep up the good work, everyone

That's amazing! 20 years of a sustained, supportive, stable community .
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 05:21

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Aww, shucks. Doreen says the forum started in October 2000, so I probably joined around 2002. Thanks for the compliment, but after 18 years on the forum and more than 20 years living the low-carb lifestyle, I'm now 20 pounds heavier than when I started.

20 years, 20 pounds gained
It looks like ageing trumps diet. No matter what you do, your body will do its own thing subject to the laws of nature.

I do wonder why we add fat as we age. Slower metabolism?

As an inconsistent person, I fall off the wagon periodically. The results are long lasting.

But I still try to stick with low carb for the most part even with the slip ups.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 05:46

BF:

Quote:
Aww, shucks. Doreen says the forum started in October 2000, so I probably joined around 2002. Thanks for the compliment, but after 18 years on the forum and more than 20 years living the low-carb lifestyle, I'm now 20 pounds heavier than when I started. Just goes to show nothing in life is easy. You have to work diligently toward your goals. That's why this forum is so great. Even when you stray, you can come back here and be welcomed with open arms. I'm forever learning new approaches, new science, and new ideas from reading all the posts here. Very thankful for everyone here.

very true... Re the extra 20lbs, it's possible that you gained more muscle and lost some fat. Someone used to post her photos showing the difference in her body shape at around 180lbs before and after low-carb, and the difference was pretty amazing.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 09:19

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

It takes a mob. Thank you for your contributions and stoke too!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 09:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My only low carb home.....never a reason to look elsewhere!! Great info based on science and personal experience......and a steady support from cheerleaders.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 13:45

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've been a member here since 2009. I found this forum after I'd already lost 100 pounds on LC but was stalled, and was hoping the forums could offer me advice to break my stall. And offer they did! I've lost track of all the different things I tried over the following 10 years and not a single thing broke my stall. But at least the support here kept me from going terribly off-plan and gaining the weight back as so many do, and I did keep the 100 pounds off.

But it wasn't until this year, with implementing fasting as well, that I finally broke my stall and have lost 50 more pounds for a total of about 150. And I'm still going, and I love all the folks here who encourage me in my journey. I hope you find encouragement here too.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 16:21

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

What a great thread! Thank you Doreen! I became a member, probably around the time this forum started, then I left low carb for many years. I finally returned to this way of eating several months ago, opened up a new account here, since I couldn’t remember my log-in. Experimenting with different plans. Trying 5:2 intermittent fasting along with low carb. Thanks again for a great forum. P.S. My husband is from St. Catherine, Ontario. Yay Canada!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-20, 16:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Aww, shucks. Doreen says the forum started in October 2000, so I probably joined around 2002. Thanks for the compliment, but after 18 years on the forum and more than 20 years living the low-carb lifestyle, I'm now 20 pounds heavier than when I started.

BW, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm a mod, but I can see join dates in everyone's profile. Yours is Oct 29 2003.

I don't like my 20-lb weight gain, either, but... I dunno about your relatives but I consider the alternative. They're fatter and sicker. I'm in really good health for being 45. I take no joy in that and I'm certainly not bragging; I'm just grateful that at least I found the 'aha' factor, here's why I couldn't just starve myself on a HC/LF diet and be happy and healthy like the mainstream said. I made relative peace with food, learned to cook, and I found the causes behind the non-weight health problems related to the garbage SAD upon which I was raised. If I hadn't adopted this lifestyle and hung around this forum, I'd probably be obese, and on meds for diabetes, arthritis, depression/anxiety, and gawd knows what else.

------

Sheryl, I lived in St Catharines for about a decade! Really liked the city, especially the climate. Nice mild winters, "wine country" summers.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Sep-10-20 at 17:04.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-20, 05:19

BF:

Kristine, thanks for confirming my "join" date. I knew it was early 2000s ... so, 17 years here. Hey, that's close to 20!

You're certainly right about considering the alternative. People always say I look at least 10 years younger than I am. I remember my mother at my age (65). She'd already had a hip replacement and needed both knees replaced (though I'll admit to two knee replacements myself), but was in such poor health from a lifetime of smoking and stress that they wouldn't do the surgery. She had a very wrinkled complexion, and even the skin on her arms and legs was extremely wrinkled. She was also on numerous prescription medications, whereas I'm on none and don't need any. She passed at age 73, way too young.

I suppose everything I'm doing has helped some, and I'll never stop trying to improve my health.

Thanks again to the founder, moderators, and all the wonderful people on this forum that I've learned from over the years.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-20, 09:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I share the sentiments expressed in this thread. This is my primary source of information for healthy eating practices, access to current science and effective clinical practices, and regular engagement with the knowledgeable and respectful people who frequent this forum. The mods are great for keeping it all focused and likely don't get the credit they deserve. At the end of the day, it all works very well.