Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Pretty sure Atkins started his Nutritionals as vitamin and mineral supplements only. He was pretty into vitamins.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 13:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think it's a "sticker shock" problem that has been created by years of cheap-as-dirt food. When I stop for coffee to take into the office on early mornings, I'm surrounded by people who are grabbing those wheat/sugar combos that are cheap, but they have to buy so many of them to feel satisfied they are paying as much as I am for my double portion of breakfast deviled eggs.

But my pile of stuff looks smaller. They can't imagine how it might get them through their day.

For dinner, I can get a frozen meal; or a whole pound of ground pork. For the same money, and about about the same effort. The satisfaction and nutrition is far greater with the pork.

But I'm the "crazy one" for eating that way.

So if Atkins made "real" meals, they would cost like $10. And no one would buy them.

I definitely get that about buying basic ingredients as compared to all the stuff so many people buy, and end up needing to eat every couple of hours, whereas I won't be hungry for hours on end.

I'd probably buy the occasional $10 frozen dinner if it was truly LC though. But then I doubt I'd do that often enough to help sustain the business model of making and selling frozen LC dinners - we're talking maybe a few times a year. For the most part, I find it simple enough to just buy ingredients, cook them up and have them ready to put together my own quick meals - there are just a few times when my buying and prepping gets out of sync, and then I'm scrambling to find something I can make quickly. (Which usually ends up being scrambled eggs, because they're really quick, and extremely satiating)
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 07:58

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
There was a time, a long time, that I needed SAD substitues. And occassionally bought Atkins bars. Problem was I couldnt eat just one. I bet others have the same problem.
I know I do!

On the other hand, my husband does very well with them. He eats one a day. He's always been a much more disciplined dieter than I. He's got tons of willpower whereas I don't have any. I think there's a place for Atkins products among low carb dieters.

I wish there were more low carb frozen entrees, not just from Atkins but from everyone. I like the Atkins chicken margherita, but I'm mostly carnivore these days. But it would be great to have a nice selection of frozen low carb dinners in my freezer for my husband and kids.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 09:38

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

In 1998, I purchased one of Dr. Atkins's most important--probably--and most neglected books: Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution: Nature's Answer to Drugs.

In addition to being a cardiologist, Atkins practiced what he called "complementary medicine and nutritional therapy." He didn't stop with diet in his approach to the body's capacity to heal itself. At his center, he evaluated each client and created a custom program of supplementation as needed.

Since then, there's probably been a ton of research--or maybe not!--on dietary supplements. We all know fads come and go. I personally think it might not be such a good thing to self-diagnose. But then, I've never had a problem with any chronic condition (except excess fat) that I thought supplementation might help.

Now that I have the book in my hand, I might take another look.

By the way, Dr. Atkins's rationale, as stated on page 29:

It has been estimated that 80-95 percent of the micronutrients originally found in food are lost before we finally eat it.

In other words, even "fresh foods" might suffer nutrient deficiency in the growing, the transporting, and the preparation. Even more so, and tragically for the health of the planet, foods that are refined and processed for storage and convenience.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 12:02

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
I think it's a "sticker shock" problem that has been created by years of cheap-as-dirt food. When I stop for coffee to take into the office on early mornings, I'm surrounded by people who are grabbing those wheat/sugar combos that are cheap, but they have to buy so many of them to feel satisfied they are paying as much as I am for my double portion of breakfast deviled eggs.

But my pile of stuff looks smaller. They can't imagine how it might get them through their day.

For dinner, I can get a frozen meal; or a whole pound of ground pork. For the same money, and about about the same effort. The satisfaction and nutrition is far greater with the pork.

But I'm the "crazy one" for eating that way.

So if Atkins made "real" meals, they would cost like $10. And no one would buy them.

I have this same thing at my work, people eating carbs like MAD, and then they go right back to eating or saying they are starving. Guy on my team had bread and apple butter for breakfast, said he was starving lol.

I am on a 20 hour fast right now. I am not hungry.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 12:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I personally think it might not be such a good thing to self-diagnose. But then, I've never had a problem with any chronic condition (except excess fat) that I thought supplementation might help.

I turned out I had a rare condition I had to self-diagnose. And then self-treat.

Proper supplementing continues to save me.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 12:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I turned out I had a rare condition I had to self-diagnose. And then self-treat.

Proper supplementing continues to save me.

I commend you wearbear for taking the reins when all medical professionals failed to be able to help you. Too bad all they know how to do is prescribe pharmaceuticals without knowing the causes of the symptoms and failing to help you cure them.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 16:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I commend you wearbear for taking the reins when all medical professionals failed to be able to help you. Too bad all they know how to do is prescribe pharmaceuticals without knowing the causes of the symptoms and failing to help you cure them.

Thank you, Meme. I understand my condition not being diagnosed. But when they told me “nothing can be done” I went online and did some research and discovered studies that showed THINGS COULD BE DONE.

So why weren’t they doing them?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 17:45

BF:

Quote:
Thank you, Meme. I understand my condition not being diagnosed. But when they told me “nothing can be done” I went online and did some research and discovered studies that showed THINGS COULD BE DONE.

So why weren’t they doing them?

I had to do the same thing after getting no help, I had to cure myself. In fact I did the opposite of what the last doctor said to do. Eat more fiber and take these pills to knock out your immune system because it's too active as a lot of women's immune systems are."That's why they live longer than men".
When he told me to eat more fiber like oatmeal and have it in cookies because that's what he does. I also said, "you know, a lot of people say that fiber is like sandpaper to the Colon" He just looked at me...

This was at a time after being so sick and I was finally getting a little better. By accident it occurred to me that what I had cut out was the fiber, it's what my body told me to do merely by the fact that the thought of eating some veggies and mouth feel of a lot of veggies (which I had once loved), told me to spit it out, literally! That was also after months of chicken broth/soups.

I had to do many n=1 experiments before that which on confirmation caused me a lot of pain but it was getting better and less constant compared what I went through for a couple of years when I was just trying to figure out where the pain was coming from going from doctor to doctor.

Then I found Fiber Menace and it all made sense. For the first time I found an explanation.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 20:54

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Just to lighten it up here ... an important part of the announcement ... Rob Lowe!!!!!!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 04:55

BF:

Quote:
I had to do the same thing after getting no help, I had to cure myself. In fact I did the opposite of what the last doctor said to do. Eat more fiber and take these pills to knock out your immune system because it's too active as a lot of women's immune systems are."That's why they live longer than men".

If there's one category they don't know, it's autoimmune.

I have often shared the siteGutsense.org here, which is by the Fiber Menace researcher. Everything he says works for me, to the point where I've twice now turned down colonoscopy.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 04:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Just to lighten it up here ... an important part of the announcement ... Rob Lowe!!!!!!

Can't argue about the -- marquee value -- of that.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 10:03

BF:

Quote:
If there's one category they don't know, it's autoimmune.

I have often shared the siteGutsense.org here, which is by the Fiber Menace researcher. Everything he says works for me, to the point where I've twice now turned down colonoscopy.

The only reason I had one (colonoscopy) was that I had to find out what was going on. Since the pain was severe and widespread ( for over a year) from central lower area to back to front and through the process of elimination I finally put it in that area I had to find out what was causing it.

You know, I was pretty bad off back then but now that I think about it, I think it was you who posted about gutsense.org in the first place!
Thank you Warebear!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Jan-22-20 at 21:25.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 15:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Whatever one may think about Atkins food products, I think the Rob Lowe ads are pretty good at debunking the bacon-cheese-no-veggies myths that lead people to say/think low carb is unhealthy.

When I was first starting out low carb, there were no low carb products out there except Atkins. I found them to be handy to have a grab-n-go option for a protein shake or a bar I could keep in my purse. And a meal in the freezer. So in that regard, they can be helpful products especially for those just figuring out strategies to stay on program.

But now there's lots of better products out there for on the go, or now that I am in a better place metabolically, I can just fast if necessary rather than worry about carrying something with me for "emergencies".

I think sometimes it is a case of not letting perfect keep one from doing better.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 18:30

BF:

Quote:
You know, I was pretty bad off back then but now that I think about it, I think it was you who posted about gutsense.org in the first place!
Thank you!

It thrills me that I helped