Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 19:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/148/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress:
Default Desperate: One year-little movement

Hoping someone can shed some light for me. I have been doing lc for about 2.5 years and have gone from 198 to 147, am currently at 149. I'm 5'4" and my goal has been 140, even saw a dr. in the last year who agreed that I should try to hit that goal and perhaps even a pound or two lower. But, for the past year I have been stalled and am now up two pounds. This is not a normal plateau.

I've tried several things: induction--which has stopped working, CoQ 10 (no effect-have hypothyroid and was told this may be why), virgin coconut oil, and keeping a food diary. I drink approx 2 liters of water a day and I seem to hover around 1500-1700 calories a day and eat mostly chicken/fish/eggs and veg. Have just started using some low fat cheese. I've tried cutting back on nuts and cream and then putting them back in--feels like I've tried a lot of things that just don't work. I also work out 4-5 times a week.

I have looked at the fat fast a few times but honestly just don't think I can do it. I know the loss slows as you enter pre-maintenance but this seems ridiculous...and now I'm battling just to drop two pounds get back down to my low--would kill to drop an extra pound--not looking for a miracle to get rid of all ten pounds, but just a couple would feel great.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Hmmmmm.......

Your Doctor told you to lose 7 pounds? What exactly is plus a few more? I read that you said 10 more to go, but in all honesty the extra ten could go at any time, or never. As we age, things tend to change on or bodies. Sorry if it sounds like I am comin at ya, but that sounds odd to my ears....

Also, have you maybe faced the fact that short of starving yourself, or doing something dangerous, that maybe 145 - 150 is where you may stay, at least for a while?

What are your lab tests like? Lipid panels etc...

Also, you said Hypothyroid....is it possible this medical condition, coupled with the excersise is keeping your weight up? As you excersise you build muscle mass, and that will weigh more than fat lost at the same time.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 20:25

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the quick post. I round it up to ten pounds bc I figure that's roughly what I need to lose to hit 140 and the dr. had said she felt my body could likely handle anything between sort of 135-140.

I have not thought about the link between hypothryoid and exercise. I do tend to build muscle pretty easily and have been running 5k/3miles once or twice a week at the gym as part of my 4-5 times a week workouts. I just turned 35, so I guess the age thing may be kicking in. ;(

I live in London, which makes it difficult to actually address these issues with a dr. Unless I pay out of pocket to see a private dr., the nhs dr.s are pretty conservative and generally not hip to the lc lifestyle. Private dr.'s here tend to have trained either in the States or heavy bg with Americans. But perhaps I'll splurge.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 20:31

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Man, I can imagine trying to shop around and find an Atkins friendly doctor in London....here it is not so bad.

My doctor is not really Atkins friendly, but as long as I don't say the "A" word or say Low Carb see is pretty good about the whole thing.

I still think the hypothyroid may be a lot of the issue, coupled with building or maintaining your muscle mass. The two together may be keeping your weight where it is.

To my mind, 240 is only a goal for me, I will get there if I can, or go further, if I can. As long as my bloodwork and health are fine, I will be cool with wherever my weight loss halts, near my goal.

Thanks for the quick answers and good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 23:43

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Wow, one year, that's tough. You know there's a thyroid forum in this site? Maybe you could read threads there that will help. Click at the top of the page at 'active low-carbers forums' and access the list of forums that way. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help.
I have been stalled since last autumn, so I understand how discouraging it can be. Just keep searching for answers. You'll find what works for you if you keep trying.-Gail
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 15:35

Stats: 232/137/150 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

try more excersize, and maybe your body just wont lose the pounds because it's meant to be that size. At some point your body just won't lose anymore and you may have to accept that, but you can just start weight lifting and gaining muscle which burns more cals, and will turn fat into muscle so you won't have to worry about dropping lbs neccessarily.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 15:47

BF:
Progress:

i can't really find any more time for exercise-as it is i go after work and get a total of 1.5-2 hours of physical exercise four times a week as i then walk home from there. and i've been taking an hour-long class on the weekends, in addition to the fairly physical lifestyle i lead from living in the city and walking most places. i lift arm weights and have been slowly increasing reps and weight--my arms get a bit too bulky so am cautious about any more.

after a search of other posts, i'm going to try cutting out my daily advantage bar and all sweeteners this week, except for sf gum, which i simply can't live without.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 09:50

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

"""" my daily advantage bar and all sweeteners"""

Yep that sounds like it may be the answer!
Good luck

Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:02

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I had lost all of the weight that I wanted to (1994), then starting around 1999 my weight began creeping up to 30 pounds over where I wanted it to be.

I tried everything I could come up with -- went back to induction levels, various supplements, coconut oil, lots of exercising, etc., etc. It was extremely frustrating, and I was quite unhappy with the situation.

I do not think that our bodies are best at a weight significantly higher than the standards (i.e., I'm 5'7", 130 is a really good weight for me -- you're 5'4", you would likely do very well around 120 pounds) -- and unless you're a body-builder, I seriously doubt that exercising is causing a huge muscle-weight gain. Also, I am 60 years old -- aging does not mean that your body should weigh more!

Anyway, last Christmas I happened to read a newspaper article about a supplement called hoodia. Decided to give it a try. And over the New Year's I carefully evaluated what I was eating, what the problem could be, etc. I decided that the only thing I hadn't really tried was to cut calories.

Starting January 1, I seriously cut my caloric intake (using the hoodia, an appetite suppressant -- something that worked for me). I planned my meals so that I was getting optimal nutrition with minimal calories -- and it worked! At all times I adhered to low-carb, and whenever I checked, I was in ketosis.

I lost 1.5-2 pounds per week, and got down to 130 pounds -- where I am happy to be. I am healthy, my muscle tone is quite good (I'm far more limber and have more stamina than many of the young people I work with) -- I found that as I lost weight my exercises became easier and I could do more -- the extra weight was making moves like bending over far more difficult than they are when there's no belly interfering!

I would suggest that you keep trying tweaks until you find just what works for you (for me, it was the hoodia with a carefully-planned low-calorie/low-carb diet) -- it is so much fun to be able to walk the beach for 5 miles (without getting tired -- and in a bathing suit, not a tent!), roller-blade again, bike for as long as I want, buy size 6 pants (!!!), etc., etc.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 12:50
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

amyg...

I know you mentioned you couldn't get in any more exercise time but when it the last time you switched up your current exercise programs?

I do cardio and weight training but I switch up my exercises every 2 to 6 months to ensure that my body doesn't get used to the routine.

And I think that taking out the bars and sweeteners will help. I was stalled for about 5 months so I can totally relate to your frustration.

Good luck!
Kiks
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 19:06

BF:
Progress:

Bonnie and Kiks,

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement and suggestions.
Bonnie--I know you're right about the workout regime. I just ran my first 5k last weekend and it was great--but made me realise I should be running longer distances at the gym as I felt nothing the day after. Also am joining a bigger gym in a couple weeks and hope that there will be a wider variety of machines, classes, etc. I think that is definitely a piece of the problem.

Bonnie-I would love to be 120--given that I have a medium frame I would even kill to be 130--at this point 140 feels like it'll never happen so I'm trying to keep my goals very short-term! Anyway, I agree that the calories are something to look at. And I'm going to look for the hoodia as it may help curb the late afternoon hunger. Hats off to you for being so diligent!

Again, thanks all around! Today was day one--will keep you posted.